Golden Age question

schizerbone

Chieftain
Do you only get one Golden Age per game? I'm playing on Regent if that matters. If it's just one, then is there a way to prevent one from occurring early in the game? I'm playing as the Babylonians and my bowman won a battle and I was instantly shot into the Golden Age. Ah well, it helped slightly, just figured it would help more later in the game.

Yeah, just one.

And that UU setting off a golden age rule is the goofiest thing.......

Build the Pyramids - I get, but knock off a caveman?

Yes, you only get one per game. To clarify, your UU has to have a victory against another Civ, not against barbarians. So, especially with a Civ that can build its UU almost from the beginning, it can be tricky to decide when to deploy your UU and trigger a GA, because a really early GA can be less than optimal, but if you wait too long, it may be hard to find a battle your Bowmen can win.

Yep, one per game. It's triggered either by your UU winning a victory against another civ or by building Wonders, the traits of which match those of your civ. The exact mechanics of a "Wonder GA" may elude me at the moment, but I think that it works like this: if you possess (either built or captured) Wonders that match both of your civ's traits, the game will check the next time you complete a wonder to see if both are matched and then there's a chance that your GA will be triggered. (As always, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)

As for the "UU GA," the Prof is right on timing the GA. You have some control over it, because you can simply avoid building your UU until you are ready for the GA. You'll be able to build the UU until you've had your GA, but if you wait too long . . .

@Aabraxan post #4
My only correction is that its not a chance thing, if your wonder traits match your civ traits, you will get a GA, 100% chance!

Ok, thanks guys. So the only two ways for a Golden Age is to build a trait specific wonder or win a UU battle? If you do neither, will you just not get a Golden Age?

Sort of.

What you have to have to trigger a wonder GA is to build a great wonder and have wonders that satisfy your civ traits.

Say you are England in conquests. If you build the Collosus, it will trigger your GA (England is commercial and seafaring, Collosus triggers a GA for commercial, seafaring and expansionist civs). If you capture Collosus from Byzantium, it won't trigger the GA, but if you then build (say) The Great Wall, you will have a GA triggered, not because the Wall matches your traits, but because you have a wonder that triggers your traits.

Yep, one per game. It's triggered either by your UU winning a victory against another civ. . . .

And to amplify, it can be a defensive victory against another civ--in my current game as the Incas, the Ottomans had a warrior wandering by who took it into his head to attack my UU (chasqui scout), who won handily--instant GA. . . . when I had all of 2 cities up :mad: Needless to say, an almost complete waste. O well, just a little extra handicap against the AI. . . .

kk

Ok, thanks guys. So the only two ways for a Golden Age is to build a trait specific wonder or win a UU battle? If you do neither, will you just not get a Golden Age?

This happened to me in a recent game. I didn't think about it until the game was finishing -> auto replay.

I had a later UU and just didn't get there. (Ruskies IIRC ) I also missed the Wonders.

You can always go to the editor and turn off the Golden Age trigger for the unique unit. You just have to remember to either be prepared to build Wonders, or designate a new unique unit, or you will loose the Golden Age completely. I agree that the early Golden Ages are a problem.

Top Bottom