Gonna upgrade my PC got around 500$ what to chose?

DMW

Chieftain
Hello gentlemen,

Im gonna upgrade my PC and need a new CPU, Motherboard, Videocad and ram. I got around 550$ (actually its euros) to spend and I can use some advice, especially on the motherboard.

I was thinking of as CPU the Athlon x2 6000+ for 130$ (the 6000+ because its very cheap and seems to out perform the intel duo 6550 which is more expensive) the 130$ seems fine for my budget.
As videocard a nvidia 8800 GTS for 220$. Its the cheapest nvidia 8800 so well lets take it :).

Than I can use some advice, what motherboard to take with this one, Im not into motherboards so any advice is welcome.

Also for memory I can use some advice. I would like to have 2 gigs of ram.

I got around 200 euros left, what to buy.

I would really appreciate advice or feedback on my choices so far.

I was thinking of as CPU the Athlon x2 6000+ for 130$ (the 6000+ because its very cheap and seems to out perform the intel duo 6550 which is more expensive) the 130$ seems fine for my budget.
E6550 is better for overclocking

As videocard a nvidia 8800 GTS for 220$. Its the cheapest nvidia 8800 so well lets take it :).
You can get a 8800GT for that price

Than I can use some advice, what motherboard to take with this one, Im not into motherboards so any advice is welcome.
Any nForce 570 motherboard

Also for memory I can use some advice. I would like to have 2 gigs of ram.
DDR2 667 or DDR2 800

I got around 200 euros left, what to buy.
Is your current PSU good enough for this new system?

500$ Euro might be pushing it. You certainly wont be able to completely future-proof your system.

For the processor, you could go with the X2 5600+ Black Edition, which overclocks really well on just stock, or lightly upgraded cooling. The memory you should go with DDR2 667 since its cheap as dirt now (you can find 2 gigs RAM for 70$ US). DDR3 is still too expensive, especially on a tight budget. For the video card, if you can find it, take the 8800GT. Its around 5% slower than a GTX and 15% faster than a GTS which is comparable in price, if not more expensive. As for the PSU, if yours is 550 watts or so, I think you will be fine, although for SLi you will definitely want more

Alright, ordered my new sys. Took the 6000+, the 8800 GT (thx for the tips) and 4 gigs of ram (800Mhz).

The PSU is a good point, I can get a 500 watt, hope it will be enough.

Im gonna assume you have all of the other components? Such as HD's, case, etc..?

If so, have fun with your new system. Should run most games like a dream now!

Don't be shocked when your RAM clocks in at 750 instead of 800. The 6000 doesn't have an even clock divider for its native speed, so it goes with the next highest number.

Top Bottom