Good guides and Best scenario map opinions?

Hi all!

Firstly this is my first post so I have to say, all hail the mod team!! Original Col is my fav ever game and I have hundreds of hours from when I was a Kid plus the odd nostalgic return, but this mod has brought that great original game back to life and gone so much further, you guys rock!!

So, onto the game! I have many questions and I’m looking for some good advanced tips (as Ive had a fair few WTP run throughs now), so does anyone know of any good advanced youtube (or text) strategy guides?

Also Whats everyone’s opinion on the best map to use? I like the immersion so prefer the ‘real world’ maps not the random ones, but which is best? I noticed in the scenario list some are RAR some TAC?

I prefer large or huge maps as I think Gigantic gets a bit pointless (to much land you’ll never use).

Thanks!!

Also Whats everyone’s opinion on the best map to use?
My personal favourites:
  • For Immersive Games: (RaR) Americas Gigantic (Random)
  • For "Power Play" with massive Empires: Two Continents
  • For "Power Play" with a bit more Challenge: Amerayca
I like the immersion so prefer the ‘real world’ maps not the random ones, but which is best?
  • A bit better for Gameplay: (RaR) Americas Gigantic (Random) ---> Ressources and Features will be randomized
  • A bit better for Immersion: (RaR) Americas Gigantic ---> Ressources and Features will not be randomized
I noticed in the scenario list some are RAR some TAC?
I removed that prefix in the current internal release. (It was just for historical reasons remembering the "parent projects of WTP".)
All of those Maps have been adjusted to WTP, so for players it does not make a difference.

Actually, did I not already remove it for public release 3.0.1 ? :think:
Which release do you play?

I prefer large or huge maps as I think Gigantic gets a bit pointless ...
Then maybe try one of the "Huge" Maps:
  • A bit better for Gameplay: (RaR) Americas Huge (Random) ---> Ressources and Features will be randomized
  • A bit better for Immersion: (RaR) Americas Huge ---> Ressources and Features will not be randomized

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
... all hail the mod team!!
Thanks. :)

A few of us are still crazy enough to keep the mod alive through all those years (13 years to be exact).
The mod name and the mod team may be changing from time to time, but somehow the mod itself always survives.

It has been a long time since the early days of TAC, then RaR and now WTP.
(TAC is the "grandmother mod", RaR is the "mother mod" and WTP is basically the current generation.)

WTP is of course far more advanced and technically far better but for me they are simply mod generations, not completely different mods.
It is more or less just the natural evolution of a mod - generation by generation, release by release, feature by feature, fix by fix ....

... but this mod has brought that great original game back to life and gone so much further, you guys rock!!
Nice to hear that this mod still has fans that play it. :thumbsup:
The mod may be old but it is still sturdy and healthy.

We are a small community but we still have fun. We may be few active modders but these few are motivated.
Recently we even achieved to again motivate a few new people from community to become modders themselves.

@Tim the Strategy Geek I strongly prefer RaR Americas Gigantic. Being a lot into piracy, I typically use modified versions with different leaders better catering to this playstyle - e.g. Munk instead of Egede for stronger ships and faster Great Admiral generation as Danish, or Bolivar instead of Cortez as Spanish for much faster unit promotions. Seeing @raystuttgart 's recommendation, might give the randomized version a try.

• A bit better for Gameplay: (RaR) Americas Gigantic (Random) ---> Ressources and Features will be randomized
  • A bit better for Immersion: (RaR) Americas Gigantic ---> Ressources and Features will not be randomized

But starting locations for Europeans are always randomized? I've encountered the Spanish in Canada and French in South America. Would have preferred it the other way around. Maybe it can be altered in the map script, but I have no idea how. :shifty:

I prefer those randomized, generated maps myself. This way I have no idea about my surroundings and exploration is actually fun.

But starting locations for Europeans are always randomized? I've encountered the Spanish in Canada and French in South America. Would have preferred it the other way around. Maybe it can be altered in the map script, but I have no idea how. :shifty:

The Europeans are not always randomized. That can be set by you if you start a custom game or it can be set by the maker of a map, e.g. the "random Americas Gigantic" is random, the other Americas Gigantic is not random and the Europeans are set in fixed locations (e.g. the spanish near to the mexican coast, the russians near Alaska).

Top Bottom