Gotm 125

I was picking city sites as part of my initial planing when it occurred to me that most city sites will have part of the city radius in darkness that cannot be revealed unless we make a boat. The rules, as they are, prohibit that. Is that intended? If not, we should allow boats for pushing back the darkness.

I considered that to be part of the setting and worked around it. So I picked city sites that didn't require revealing of ocean tiles with boats, although that meant I had to let go some nice multi-special-sites.

Since it's been a terribly rainy week so far, I am just a few turns from finishing this game. With all those restrictions, it's been a completely different game than usual, but still quite fast (by rough estimation, it took just a little more RL-time than a normal OCC).

OK. So no ships for pushing back darkness. Good thing I noticed this before finalizing my city site selection.

With the first sight I thought: 'move youre settlers to the coast'.While looking for the best site there I remembered that I will have some 'black' tiles. So I planned to have
three citys without connection to the water and one who has - has also the lack of tiles but can do the whole freight transport .
So better reading this thread first maybe someone has a good hint.

Is it over-interpretation that magic makes a difference between 'ships' and 'early ships' ?

While making the map (placing the settlers) I did not looked very closely at the map. The plan was that without being able to build the lighthouse nobody could leave the islands with early ships. Now I've looked better at the map I realize that the islands are near other islands.

So in this case the restriction is a bit pointless. However I won't change the rule because somebody who is already playing might not see the change.

With a trireme you can do island-hopping and send freights to the other civs and boost your money/science.

Rules 2 and 3 say no ships before Magnetism and no ships before all cities are size 20. While you can deliver freights to other civs afterwards, at that point the game is all but over and the proceeds of the deliveries next to useless. This is a tradeless game.

I think all Magic Gorter was saying was that the Lighthouse restriction was from an earlier incarnation of the rules for this game, and, when he changed the rules after closer inspection of the map, he forgot to remove it. We are following the rules laid out, which say no ships until size 20 and magnetism.

If you have inland cities, your ending will be delayed by the amount of time it takes to get ships to each landlocked city from the nearest port. If you think you can shave enough turns from getting to size 20 and researching magnetism by building inland, then you have a viable strategy by doing so. Another alternative is rushing to Radio and using airports. The absence of tech hiding means this is not completely ridiculous, and the delay in finishing if you have landlocked cities makes this a more appealing option (though I doubt that with only 4 cities and no trade, that enough science can be generated to get to radio quickly enough to make this a valid alternative).

Remember that you can work any ocean tile that is beside a land tile, so there are lots of coastal sites with only 1 or 2 covered squares, and some without any at all.

Instinctively one might expect that when the game-end condition is met, for say city West it will show 3 routes, one to each of North, East and South. In fact it may show 2 of the 3 routes to one city, because those trade routes are worth more. Is that OK, or do I need to learn more about Trade to get the one to each pattern?

Theoretically, there would be 2 trade-routes between each pair of cities in the end since each delivered van creates one route in the source-, and one in the destination-city. However only the 3 most valuable trade routes will be active (if there already are 3 trade routes in a city, the next delivery will replace the least valuable if it is of higher value).
Since learning more about trade is never a bad idea:
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/...rategy-Guide?p=1870574&viewfull=1#post1870574

For this game I am pretty sure we only have to deliver the vans, regardless of the trade routes they might establish. Maybe we should keep some more saves in case of doubt.

I'm ready and this what Major wrote happened.
I had serious 12 freights but if you're smart you can do it with 6.
The city info won' tell. My south city(capital Trondheim) has still two connections to america.
They brought three in blocked one of my goods and so my third was a freight food.
Trondheim 28,Kaupang 28,Hladir 25,Uppsala 20.
So Hladir and Uppsala both have two connections to Trondheim and one to Kaupang.

I had serious 12 freights but if you're smart you can do it with 6. The city info won' tell.
Yes you can do it with 6, but the rules asked for 12. There are many things that one can do in the course of the game that cannot be verified at the end such as reloading to change battle outcomes, hut outcomes, and barbarian appearances (their timing is deterministic but their location is random). The GOTMs are played on the honor system and you are supposed to follow the rules. In this case Magic asked for 12 deliveries, not each city having 3 domestic trade routes.

You can't trade with AI civs because you can't leave the islands. If an AI civ lands on your island then you're lucky....
After you have built your ships (size 20 and Magnetism) and you can leave your own islands, is it okay to trade with the AIs?

BTW, I didn't notice Ali's post (#25) until after I posted. But I would still like a clarification from Magic if possible.

Haleewud,

There are no trade restrictions with the AI (after size 20 and Magnetism). I'd be curious to know if you have a strategy behind this as I don't see how it would result in finishing the GOTM any faster. Unless your thinking you'll have an exact tie of dates upon completion and therefore want a higher civ score. Share please?

I just finished up this GOTM. AI never landed on any of my islands. That darn forested island was the hold up for myself, probably cost me 20-30 turns over when everything else was good and ready. I would imagine it was the same for all though. I enjoyed it, looking forward to the next challenge.

The reason I asked was, I thought I might be able to deliver a caravan to one of the AIs and get a bit of extra money for rush building of more ships. As it turns out, although I had a caravan next to one of the Japanese cities, I never did deliver it. I also had most of my problems with the northern city.

After you have built your ships (size 20 and Magnetism) and you can leave your own islands, is it okay to trade with the AIs?

BTW, I didn't notice Ali's post (#25) until after I posted. But I would still like a clarification from Magic if possible.

Yes it's allowed after size 20 and Magnetism...

Magic,

Can I have an extension on this game? I got most of the way through it, but then started GOTM 126 and forgot to finish this one. I'm nearly done, but may not have time to finish the game today. I should be able to finish by the end of the week.

Does anyone have the results of GOTM 125? Please post the link if you know where they are.

Can't seem to find it on the site.

I'm just a newbie, been playing and downloading the GOTM archives to see how I'm doing against the masters.

Does anyone have the results of GOTM 125? Please post the link if you know where they are.

Hi there, in fact results up to and including GotM 122 are available as I write this.
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/gotm/latest

The spoiler threads are a main part of GotM. The spoiler for GotM 125 will be a good way to estimate how you did. Do post there if there is something about that game that you'd like to discuss.

And if you are playing GotM 131 (and/or 132), which is "live" at the moment, feel free to join us at the appropriate spoiler once you are a reasonable distance into the game (ideally you have exchanged maps with all the AI civilizations.)

Top Bottom