GOTM 136 Spoiler

I played more a couple weeks ago, but forgot to post my progress then. I conquered all but 2 American cities in my 4012 offensive -- the last 2 cities require boats and more paratroopers to get, so I will have to wait for the following turn. Once again, my offensive went much quicker than I expected, in fact there are lots of spare units around (I had roughly 100 howitzers and 100 mech inf according to defense minister).

I'll probably just end the game next turn, rather than continue with cleanup and buildup; a bit of a shame since I spent 8 turns doing WLTPD before switching to Fundamentalism. The game became a chore rather quickly (I find this happens a lot, which is one of the reasons I don't normally play or finish GOTMs) once I had effectively turned around Celtic situation.

This was a period of minor warfare, pollution clean up (93 tiles during the period), and establishment of trade routes (routes more than doubled in this period).

+4001 Future Tech 4 -> 5. Domestic deliveries for 22, 112, 2x136. Met with Lincoln for the first time and exchanged maps.
+4002 Domestic deliveries for 34, 112, 178, 206. Air force kills the 3 defenders of Viking Cannae and a paratrooper razes the city. Viking partisan on island 3 killed. Viking fanatic bribed for 60g. Vikings are down to one city and one unit.
+4003 Global warming takes effect. Future Tech 5 -> 6. Foreign deliveries for 307, 254, 90; Domestic deliveries for 210, 135. Barbarian partisan for 102g.
+4004 Future Tech 6 -> 7. Foreign deliveries for 197, 224; Domestic deliveries for 135, 288, 94. Shush founded on strategic and empty island 27. Just realized that I have had UN for a while and do not need an embassy with the Sioux. They have no capital and only the 4 visible cities. Running Bear bribed for 294g. Got 676g, (what a deal!), Alpine, and Marketplace. Spy escaped. Killed 2 Sioux units losing 2 of mine. Babol founded on continent 24.
+4005 Future Tech 7 -> 8. Foreign deliveries for 140; Domestic deliveries for 308, 352, 232. Sioux Raging brook razed for 228g. Rasht founded south of Thebes at the end of Railroad. Canberra founded. American Capua subverted for 2x813g. Lost spy. Got 191g, a soldier, and an engineer.
+4006 Future Tech 8 -> 9. 6 new airports built. Foreign deliveries for 136; Domestic deliveries for 440, 294, 118, 112. Sioux Point of Rocks bribed for 135. Sioux are down to one city and one unit. Spy escaped. Got 466g. Sioux give me 12g!! for tribute despite having over 400 in treasury. I have never seen an amount that is not a multiple of 25. Sauri, Belfast, and Gorgan founded. Decided to eliminate Vikings since there is too much pollution near their last remaining city and I am not going to put the lives of my engineers at risk. El-Amarna captured for 168g. Viking civilization destroyed.
+4007 Future Tech 9 -> 10. Foreign deliveries for 138, 322; Domestic deliveries for 140, 47, 66, 67, 174, 145. Sioux partisan bribed for 167.
+4008 Future Tech 10 -> 11. Foreign deliveries for 258, 468; Domestic deliveries for 496, 160. Armagh and LbigHorn founded.
+4009 Sioux paratrooper takes defenseless Point of Rocks; two supported partisans turned None instead of being lost! Future Tech 11 -> 12. Domestic deliveries for 70, 79, 87, 92, 96, 147, 154, 248. Kells, Nara, Abydos, Slim Buttes, Uppsala, and AnnArbor founded. Points of Rock retaken for 236g.
+4010 Future Tech 12 -> 13. Foreign deliveries for 130, 186; Domestic deliveries for 212, 304, 82, 210. Kerman, Asyut, and Kish founded. Kvivik and Winhill relocated. New Orleans subverted for 2x1526 to put me within a striking distance of Washington. Spy escaped. Got 183g, 20+ structures, and 7 units.

Status at +4010
Population: 19.1M; Cities: 119; Techs: All+12FT; Government: Fundamentalism
Gold: 6489; Cost: 1289 (Adam Smith); Trade routes: 136D17F; Polluted tiles: 50
Ancient Wonders: All but the Lighthouse
Medieval Wonders: All but Copernicus and Shakespeare
Industrial Wonders: All but Liberty and Bach
Modern Wonders: All but Apollo
Units: 38 Engineers, 99 defenders, 48 ground assault units, 21 air units, 1 AEGIS, 3 Battleships, 1 submarine, 10 Transports, 1 Nuke, 21 Spy, 18 vans
Goals: Clean pollution. Eliminate Americans.
Viking: Destroyed by me
American: 32 cities, All techs, 21707g, 409 units; Lighthouse, Copernicus, Bach, Apollo; allied with me
Sioux: 1 city, All techs, 209g, 0 units; war with me

I am thinking about starting the American war before oedo year of +4014. Pollution should be all but cleaned up by then. A switch to Democracy for a few turns of growth and then end the game.

Ever since year +4004 when we realized how pathetic the Sioux military was, military forces have been accumulating in American border cites. To facilitate their movements an American city (capua) was bribed in +4005.

The generals were impatient and wanted action, but the supreme Druid ordered patience. The generals could not see the wisdom of patience particularly when the nation was not producing many more units. Idle soldiers were a nuisance to border citizens and they were driving their generals mad. It was time for a meeting of the high council for the holy war.

- If you are not going to give us many more units, why make us wait holy leader?
- "But you are getting new units, just not a whole lot of them" explained the supreme Druid. "You will be getting only what you need most: a few more spies and a few more howitzers".
- Why not get us what we need right away?
- Because you also need a lot of money and it is going to take a few years to get there.
- Money, what for?
- The Americans have many cities. Their larger cities have to be taken by force. That is when you and your forces come in. But they also have quite a few smaller cities. The people in those smaller cities can be convinced to join us for the right price and that is why we need more spies and more money. Besides, given their nuclear arsenal this has to be a blitzkrieg. How quickly do you think you can do it?
- Three years out to be sufficient.
- Draw your plans and let me think about it.

The years past slowly. Every year the generals were hoping this would be the year of action only to be disappointed. Rumor on the street was that a revolution is in the works and the government does not have much more time.

When in +4010 New Orleans was subverted to put the air force within a striking distance of Washington, the hopes were raised significantly.

Many believed +4011 would be the year of action, only to be disappointed. In +4012 everyone and their brother believed the war would start. But the supreme Druid advised more patience. The generals were fuming. Has the old man gone insane?

In +4013 the long-awaited declaration of war came. But the supreme leader told them they only have two instead of the three years they asked for. The generals had a meeting to assess the situation: American units out number ours by 60% and they have a treasury 60% larger than ours. This is going to be interesting.

First the spies were let loose on the continet were most American cities were located and every single city was investigated. Next a single spy investigated Washington and discovered there is no SAM! The original plan of attacking Washington with tanks and air force was quickly modified.

First wave was an air assault on Washington. The city was easily rendered defenseless despite numerous defenders. Next came howitzer attacks on major cities like Chicago and Detroit which had city walls, SAM, and coastal fortresses. The howitzers did a fantastic job with few casualties.

Fall of the big cities made smaller cities cheaper to bribe. Every new bribed city would contribute several new units which were immediately put into action against a large city.

Just about everyone saw action. The casualties were few in the early waves but increased as howitzers ran out.

The unbelievable became more believable with every victorious battle. By the end of the year the Americans were reduced to 3 cities near the south pole; the smallest of them rendered defenseless. If it was not for a tactical mistake of sending a paratrooper unit on the wrong mission that city would have been captured as well.

With his first challenge complete, the Comrade surveyed the ruins of the world. Radiation remained wholly unchecked. Even rapid transit along the Viking rails required sealed containment, or a spraydown with harsh chemicals at each stop. Sector 26 stood in even worse shape, with only the hardiest able to survive and, in many areas, only a single rail line snaking through the worst of the death zones. Even in the homeland, within spitting distance of the palace, the deepest reaches of the swamp glowed all night long. But peace finally reigned on Earth, a long awaited breathing room for the alliance of Celts and Americans. Yet, he hesitated. Two thousand years of war makes a nation cautious, and the Comrade feared peace would only last until the first conversation started. So the few engineers built rails, and let the world burn a while longer.

Vikingland, now a wholly owned subsidiary of the Celtic Empire, still smoldered as damaged fortifications collapsed in many cities. The ruins of many machines of war clogged the rails, hustling to find safe havens in which to repair and celebrate. In the other direction, colonists flooded into newly occupied territory to assume control of the populace. The time for rebuilding would come soon enough. For the moment, all resources must be spent ensuring no war could ever again threaten humanity. As with the homeland, his first task was to build harbors, ensuring food for the people. In a few cities, offshore platforms could make a difference, but mostly he demanded howitzers.

In the homeland, his hope hung by a thread. Long spider threads of rail connected most cities, but American troops performed continual war exercises on the outskirts of Llangollen. One diplomatic misstep would result in a new outbreak of hostilities. One bored soldier could pillage a segment of rail, setting the inevitable peacekeeping mission back years. He consoled his fears by keeping a regiment at the bottleneck fortress outside Cyre. If Llangollen fell, the damage could still be contained there. Meanwhile, the troops gathered.

---

Tension ratcheted all across the empire. Reality television ceased to amuse, as barbarian terrorists destroyed the Germans before fading back into the wilderness. A cooking fire lit by a careless skiing expedition burned Paris to the ground, and the nomadic Indians demanded ceremonial burial. Perhaps entertainment mirrored reality too closely.

Five years after the Vikings' utter defeat, the Celtic ambassador stepped off his transport onto the seemingly impenetrable fortress of Washington Island. He adjusted his camouflaged hardhat, gripped his camouflaged tools, and set to work clearing a landing zone. In all probability, he would be killed if he were discovered. But even so, his sacrifice would prove the allies harbored hostile intentions. It was known that the Americans were massing forces, with over four hundred regiments standing by and more training each year. At their best, the Celts could field only half that. Clearly, the ancient enemy could not be considered a friend any longer.

---

On December 31st of the sixth year, the Americans discovered that lone engineer, but his work had been completed. Their ambassador, outraged, demanded a paltry amount of money, threatening to disband our alliance if he was not treated to dinner at the finest establishment in Jarlshof. Our reply, "Tonight you dine in hell," was delivered as the second transport vessel unloaded its cargo at Invasion Point. His frantic calls to Washington went unanswered, as the first howitzers razed their capital. Bloodlust consumed the Celts. No cries for mercy were heeded, no wonders spared, as the impregnable fortess island crumbled under the sudden onslaught. So fierce was the resistance, by nightfall only a fragment of Atlanta remained above ground.

The stunned Americans reacted sluggishly, their command and communication systems broken. The approaches at Albuquerque and Cunaxa fell quickly, opening the floodgates for our main invasion force. They maintained blockades throughout their land, but our spies were able to lead troops around those distractions even as they scouted defenses, confirming earlier reports of widespread foreign exchange soldiers. Captured training manuals clearly indicated an exploitable loophole; when any soldier's home town was captured, that soldier was to be immediately sent home with whatever equipment he was currently operating. This made the plan of attack clear: our first targets would be those cities supporting many remote troops, our last targets would be the heavily defended larger cities holding many troops from other bases.

It was a ridiculous plan, doomed to failure in any sane universe. But somehow, against all odds, the snakelike line of artillery coiled and struck, again and again, devouring the enemy defenses and leaving mechanized infantry to deal with missile stockpiles. Unlike the more civilized Vikings, the Americans fought until nearly every city was utterly destroyed. Twenty howitzer crews were lost that day.

It was in that moment that the Comrade realized his error. He had failed to plan for the final extremities of his conquest, leaving three isolated cities out of reach. Major Intleacht, in a bold move that would later earn him command of the Reconstruction Forces, directed the creation of Airbase Alpha, from which the last paratroopers were dropped into Halicarnassus. The Americans were reduced to two pitiful outposts, but they remained beyond the Comrade's reach as midnight struck.

Shipyards in Athens and Marathon rushed construction of transports, loaded them with a few good men, and set out to complete the job. The people of Cannae, largely exiled already as a penal colony, offered a king's ransom in government money in exchange for amnesty. The astronomy outpost at Rhondda proved harder to assault, as the transport exhausted its fuel before reaching the facility. Helicopters and paratroopers cleared a landing for a brave engineering squad, who deployed a portable dock while using walruses for cover. The big guns cleared the path, and a diplomatic team negotiated the surrender of the Americans' final military installation.

Postgame highlights, dates obfuscated until the green star is awarded:

+0 - Ski patrol performs Ceremonial Burial on Indians, Delhi razed. Mongols respawn 2 squares away.
+1 - Mongols voted off the island. Celts rule the Earth unopposed.
+2 - Surprise! The game doesn't end. All production changed to engineers where food allows.
+3 - Comrade resigns, is elected President. America cleared of pollution.
+5 - All combat troops disbanded, except those in the War Memorial in Cardiff and a few to hold off barbarians (which never came).
+11 - All pollution cleared, global warming ceases forever.
+14 - 150 engineers work on planting cities, irrigating city centers.
+22 - 200 engineers, 200 cities. Largest cities can no longer celebrate without colosseums. Farmland starting to become visible amid the swamps.
+25 - First black hat in Selbina.

Somewhere around 250 cities, I decided all my curiosity had been satisfied. Only 5/21 pages of the city report were size 1, and most of those had irrigation. It would take more patience than I can muster, but it seems clear that 4100 is a viable target for 254 fully grown cities and a world cleared of swamps.

I just finished my second attempt at his GOTM.

I think this one might win the green star.

As I said in a previous post, it was a little like cheating. Knowing the Pisa only had 1 unit, I bribed Lindholm and Westness in the first turn. Westness rush built a Veteran Howitzer. On the second turn, the howitzer, with some diplo-guiding from the Spy that was rush built in Lindholm, killed the Mech Inf in Pisa. With the loss of the capital, 9 other Viking cities were bribed on turn 2.

The last Viking city was bribed in +3994 (29 of the 39 Viking cities were bribed). Germans respawned but were destroyed by barbarians. I killed the respawned French in +3996 and Blue was gone.

I won't reveal the final turn, but I will say that on the final turn, I took over all 31 American cities (except Washington which at size 1 was destroyed along with Cope's and LH). 17 or the 31 cities were bribed. I also destroyed the last Sioux city on that turn along with Persian, Chinese, Indian and Mongol respawns.

I will also say that there were still 102 polluted squares and the end came before +4000.

Amazing! I didn't get the Vikings knocked out until 3996, and the Americans lasted until 4003. And I thought I'd be hard to beat this time. ;)

I just finished my second attempt at his GOTM.

I think this one might win the green star.

The last Viking city was bribed in +3994 (29 of the 39 Viking cities were bribed).

I won't reveal the final turn, but I will say that on the final turn, I took over all 31 American cities ... I also destroyed the last Sioux city on that turn along with Persian, Chinese, Indian and Mongol respawns.

...the end came before +4000.
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I am able to finish my game in +4014 (but I plan to play a few more turns) and I know if I wanted to pay no attention to other concerns I could have finished about 10 turns earlier. But finishing before 4000 is phenomenol. Great job.

After I finished posting the brief recap of my second attempt at this GOTM, I just couldn't seem to get the game out of my mind.

I kept thinking that even though I had conquered the world in only 7 turns (yes that is correct, the final turn I mentioned was +3997), there was still a thought that I could do it even faster.

I was so preoccupied that I had trouble sleeping Monday night. I finally got back out of bed at about 2:30 am and spent a couple of hours starting my third attempt. Fortunately, I had previously scheduled a vacation for this week, so I didn't have to worry about going to work.

So what decisions would be needed to be even faster?

First, pollution would need to be virtually ignored.
Second, Spies were even more important that I thought. I needed more.
Third, Howitzers are the best attack unit in the game. Armor doesn't even compare.
Fourth, Spies aren't very useful without money. I would need even more money than ever.

When I started, I felt sure I could finish in 5 turns. The ultimate 5 year plan. That sounded pretty good.

So how did it go? Read on.

I probably shouldn't be revealling this, but I guess I will, to stake my claim for the green star. I really don't think anybody could be faster, but I guess some people could tie.

******************** +3991 ********************
Bribe Lindholm and Westness
Sell 46 improvements for 5060g.
Spend 2718g on RBs.
183 Poll

******************** +3992 ********************
Build 9 Eng, 19 Spy, 1 Armor, 4 How, 4 Nukes, 4 Cruise, 4 SF and 8 Transports
Caernarfon founded at 58,92,24 (to help close RR gap)
Caerphilly founded at 44,50,24 (Port)
Capture 5 Viking cities including Pisa
Bribe 17 Viking cities
All of Continent 3 is under my control (except for partisans)
Total Campaign = 12172 spent in bribes, 2561 in plunder, 1420 in improvements sold
Bribe 3 Sioux cities
359 spent on Sioux, 941 plunder
Sell 49 improvements for 5660g.
2035g spent on RBs (I also traded in a number of units including 3 Nukes and 4 CM).
179 Poll

******************** +3993 ********************
Massive Viking counterattacks. According to Foreign Minsiter Vikings had 165 units at end of +3992 and 110 at beginning of +3993.
I didn't see that many attacks (some might have been against Americans). I had no losses.
Build 1 Eng, 7 Spy, 10 How, 1 Cruise, 1 SF and 2 Transports
Capture 4 Viking cities
Bribe 11 Viking cities
4835 spent in bribes, 1431 in plunder
Vikings destroyed
French respawn (Give Writing and RR, exchange maps) at 121,15,3
CM from Fyrkat kills Settler, French destroyed, no respawn
Bribe Miletos
58 spent in bribes, 319 in plunder
Sioux destroyed
Mongols respawn (Give Gun, Adv Flight, exchange maps) at 124,12,3
Sell 47 Improvements for 5280g.
3491g spent on RBs (I also traded in 5 SB, 4 Nukes, 5 SF, 2 Destroyers, 1 Battleship, 7 CM and various other units).
177 Poll

******************** +3994 ********************
Build 2 Armor, 17 Spy, 30 How, 2 Para, 1 Cruise, 1 Nuke and 3 Transports
Caerrorie founded at 120,16,3
Iona founded at 58,36,2
Paradrop from Caerrorie kills Mongol settler, Mongols destroyed
Indians respawn (give Map Making and RR, exchange maps) at 105,15,3
CM from Fyrkat kills Indian Settler, Indians destroyed, no respawn
Railroad to Vikings completed
Spies investigate most American cities
Cancel Alliance
Drop Nuke (from Llangollen) on Philadelphia (2 pollution)
Drop Nuke (from Tintagel) on Atlanta (2 pollution)
Paradrop captures Philadelphia
Move units to Philadelphia
Kill defenders in Washington, Washington destroyed along with Copes and LH
Capture Atlanta
Capture 10 American cities (after the 3 above)
Bribe 18 American cities
Total Campaign = 18724 spent in bribes, 13862 in plunder, 480 in improvements sold
Americans destroyed
Chinese respawn next to fortified (and ignored) MI at 142,66,26
T/L/S = 2/0/8
MI kills Settler, Chinese destroyed, no respawn
173 Pollution remained.

I was somewhat surprised by only 1 respawn. But I had a number of CM and Paratroopers ready for more respawns. I also still had a number of Howitzers that were not needed.

I finally got back out of bed at about 2:30 am and spent a couple of hours starting my third attempt.

Yes, another goal for CIV2.

And then simply brilliant plan and execution. "Eternal War" brought to a victorious conclusion in 4 turns. The over-used adjective "amazing" summarises my reaction.

:bowdown:

This is really two different eras. The first is about war prep, war with Americans, and change of government. The second is about growth and future techs under democracy.

+4011 Future Tech 13 -> 14. Foreign deliveries for 600, 92; Domestic deliveries for 114, 22, 236, 63. Capua and Running Bear relocated. Caerphilly founded.
+4012 Future Tech 14 -> 15. Foreign deliveries for 107, 232, 102; Domestic deliveries for 94, 134, 170, 105, 75. Sirjan, Sophia, and Iona founded.
+4013 Future Tech 15 -> 16. Foreign deliveries for 122; Domestic deliveries for 56, 122, 540, 28, 148, 134.
Americans have 21905g and 418 units; I have 14237g and 262 units (of all kinds).
My assault force is: 6 paratroopers, 12 tanks, 19 howitzers, 3 helicopters, 12 stealth fighters, 4 Stealth bombers, 1 AEGIS, 3 battleships, 5 Cruise missiles, and 21 spies.
Cancelled American alliance. Boat drops by Washington. The city is defended by 4 units behind city walls plus 4 missiles and a spy. It has no SAM! Air assault on Washington results in the loss of just one Stealth bomber. Washington is taken by paratrooper for Copernicus, Lighthouse, 358g, and 6 structures. Due to crowding around city by my units a single partisan appears. Despite their large treasury Americans do not move their capital. The loss of capital results not in a 50% lower bribery rate but a varying 11% to 30%.
Captured Baltimore, Denver, Chicago, San Francisco (Apollo), Buffalo, Detroit , Kansas city, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Las Vegas. Razed Genoa and Naples.
Bribed Cunaxa 1303, Turin 722, Richmod 990, Izumo (got 18 units) 1706, St. Louis 960, San Diego (Bach) 953, Los Angeles 1182, Seattle 1173, Wounded Knee 1616, defenseless Athens 1646, Cincinnati 3108, Crete 586, New York 1005, Phoenix 6627, Cremona 1353.
While my Howitzers lasted my casualties were minimal and even afterwards they were not significant.
Americans are down to 3 cities near the South pole. They still have 8771g and 76 units. Revolution started.
+4014 Americans counter attack is limited to one partisan who loses. Avaris, Anzali, and Baycity founded. Several American partisans killed. Stealth bomber kills single defender of American Halicarnassus and paratrooper captures the city for 3299g. Stealth fighter razes American Cannae. American Rhondda bribed for a mere 570g. Got 1374g! American civilization destroyed. Persians respawn. Democracy established. T0L3S7
+4015 Future Tech 16 -> 17 -> 18 -> 19. Expected, but did not get a warning about global warming despite 12 polluted squares. Domestic deliveries for 54, 416, 237, 122. Shahi and Three Forks founded.
+4016 Future Tech 19 -> 20 -> 21 -> 22. Domestic deliveries for 104, 472, 20, 128, 45, 196. Edfu founded. Hedeby relocated.
+4017 Future Tech 22 -> 23 -> 24 -> 25. Domestic deliveries for 196, 26, 150, 46, 298. Lahijan and Malta founded. T1L3S6
+4018 Future Tech 25 -> 26 -> 27 -> 28. Domestic deliveries for 145, 102, 287, 47, 195. Zabol, Boston, and Stony Lake founded. T2L3S5. Last pollution cleaned up.
+4019 Future Tech 29 -> 29 -> 30 -> 31. Domestic deliveries for 644, 236, 52, 194, 77, 523. Zahedan, Boblo, Sparta, and BigMound founded. Vorbasse, Prague, and Mycenae relocated. T0L3S7
+4020 Future Tech 31 -> 32 -> 33 -> 34 -> 35. Domestic deliveries for 138, 224, 170, 79, 152, 144, 35, 618. Fuman and Ramsar founded.

Status at +4020
Population: 46.4M; Cities: 171; Techs: All+34FT; Government: Democracy
Gold: 4919; Cost: 2012 (Adam Smith); Trade routes: 268D0F; Polluted tiles: 0
Wonders: All but Shakespeare and Liberty
Units: 52 Engineers, 136 defenders, 3 ground assault units, 2 air units, 10 Transports, 1 Nuke, 9 Spy, 15 vans
Goals: Terraform as long as real time allows. Expand.
American: Destroyed by me
Persian: 1 city, 47 techs, 7g, 0 units
Sioux: 1 city, All techs, 212g, 1 units; war with me

Congratulations to haleewud on his finish!!!

I probably shouldn't be revealling this, but I guess I will, to stake my claim for the green star. I really don't think anybody could be faster, but I guess some people could tie.

If you hadn't revealed, I might have tried for a 4 turn conquest, after you mentioned winning before 4000. Having seen that you accomplished this, I won't bother. I was briefly considering a strategy where all citizens were made taxmen and I built spies in every city for use in bribery and nuke planting.

Here is my log up to the defeat of the Americans. I may or may not do some "housekeeping" to up my score a little. I got some truly great bargains for bribes on the last turn in terms of plunder for bribed cities.

(1) 3991: Start correcting the economic situation. Build a city with Dead Buffalo engineer in order to disband it for a NON engineer. Bribe Westness for 502 gold, get Mike's, Cure for Cancer, and Sun Tzu. Cease-Fire with the Vikings.

(2) 3992: Vikings break cease-fire. Attack Westness with 2 howitzers. Lots of celebrations with the acquisition of Cure for Cancer.

(3) 3993: Americans establish trade route with Limerick. Sioux paratroopers take a city that I was planning to disband into a NON engineer. Disband Winhill. Future tech 1. Hieraconpolis oil (d) to Dukedom'Dollet for 440 gold. Revolution!

(4) Massive assault on Westness. Fortunately, I had brought in a lot of extra defense on the previous turn. Democracy established, luxuries to 50%. Accidentally Nuked helicopter. Mycenae silk (d) to Cork for 110 gold.

(5) 3995: We love the President day. Embassy with Sioux. Cedar Creek copper (d) to Jorvik for 316g. Kazzam silver (d) to Shoreside Vale for 150 gold. Giza Wine (d) to Issus for 124g.

(6) 3996: Viking Stealth Bombers and paratroopers take Holmgard, then take Cremona from the Americans. FT 2. Killdeer silk (d) to Nonnebakken for 168 gold. Bribe Ravning Enge. UN forces cease-fire.

(7) 3997: Vikings break cease-fire. Disband Kvivik. Glasgow gold (d) to Detroit for 180g. Take Trondheim. UN cease-fire.

(8) 3998: Vikings break cease-fire. Global warming feared report. Eretria silk (d) to Selbina for 728 gold! I'm almost certain this is the 2/3 cap. Decide to kill Sioux to increase the tech cost. Bribe Running Bear for 276, and get 612 back! Senate forces cease-fire. Eire Wine (d) to Salzburg for 367 gold. Investigate Pisa, discover it is defended only by 1 mech inf. Pay 88 gold for Lindholm.

(9) 3999: Cease-fire with Vikings. FT 3. Disband Corinth and Kyoto. Subvert Raging Brook. When I try to violate the cease-fire, the senate forbids the action and signs a peace treaty. Subvert Point of Rocks. Troy silk (d) to Issus for 168 gold. Edinborough salt (nd) to Atlanta for 83 gold. Mycenae spice (d) to Roskilde for 224 gold. Limerick Copper (d) to Atlanta for 95.

(10) 4000: Vikings attack, Liberate Lindholm. Sioux switch to democracy, preventing me from bribing their last city. Issus oil (d) to Dun Leary for 582. Balamb oil (d) to Aarhus for 736 gold. Do a count; only 9 cities will benefit from an additional 4 turns of celebrations, will likely hold revolution next turn. Dinas Tirith dye (d) to Cardiff for 344. Monte'Cristo oil (d) to Kansas City for 736 gold.

(11) 4001: Vikings attack (again). FT 4. Dun Leary salt (nd) to Roskilde for 294. Limerick spice (d) to Nonnebakken for 304. Dun Leary Gems (d) to Hladir for 600. Chateau'Dif dye (d) to Heliopolis for 392. Turin spice (d) to Pisa for 104g. Accidentally deliver a dye caravan from Dinas Emrys to Roskilde for 122g. Aldeigjuborg coal (d) to Dukedom'Dollet for 405. Revolution! Destroy Sioux! Unfortunately, the Indians appear. Science rate doesn't change, despite Indians not even having map making. Give Map Making and republic in order to get maps. Settler at 126,10. Destroy Jarlshof courthouse and bribe city for 490g, get UN. Indians have 48 techs. Take Pisa (Viking Capital), which was defended only by 1 mech inf.

(12) 4002: Fundamentalist government established. Spend down from 6000 gold to 1700.

(13) 4003: Global Warming occurs. Lots of We Love the High Priest day. Will need barracks to start military buildup because most cities are on swamps and have Mech Infantry defense. Mech inf loses to howitzer when attacking. Eretria gems (d) to Westness for 544g. Windurst oil (d) to Selbina for 700g. Windurst spice (nd) to Eretria for 204g. Turin wine (d) to Atlanta for 154g. Build Thebes Harbour for easier ferry transport to Thebes. Dinas Emrys salt (nd) to Askrigg for 122g. Yeltsin gold (d) to Heliopolis for 619g.

(14) 4004: FT 5. Taxes to 70% Build quite a few barracks. Trade: 232, 734 (Elba coal to Chicago).

(15) 4005: Bribe Lindholm for 200g. Trade: 752 (Giza oil to Shoreside Vale), 168, 752 (Cedar Creek oil to Dinas Tirith), 275, 168, 512,

(16) 4006: FT6. Trade: 230, 564, 217, 238.

(17) 4007: Vikings sabotage a factory. FT 7. Pay 1111 gold for Risby, and then unload boatload of tanks that was shipchained from Siouxland. Trade: 200, 768, 667.

(18) 4008: FT 8. Trade: 776, 210, 427, 776, 162. Bribe Sigtuna for 190g. Raze Lunde, Vorbasse, and Fykrat. Take Birka and with it Adam Smith's Trading Co. Raze Cunaxa. Take Askrigg, Bergen and Larne. Take Cremona (killing 2 nukes), The Udal (with SETI) and Thwaite.

(19) 4009: Vikings Nuke Risby, with a relatively large number of units inside. Risby builds SDI. FT 9. Bribe Kaupang for 242g. Build Port Viking to facilitate transport from Egypt to Vikingland. Trade: 670, . Take Hladir, Aarhus (Vikings offer 100g for cease-fire), Kaupang (Vikings have no more nukes), Salzburg, Verona, Viborg, Roskilde, Jorvik, Nonnebakken, Lisht, Prague. Bribe El-Amarna for 51g, Melbourne for 609. Raze Ghent, Turinand Cannae (last using shipchain from Siouxland). Take Trondheim (despite being size 1), Toronto and Sydney, wiping out the Vikings (and all their partisans). Wood Lake Coal to Cork (d) for 202.

(20) 4010: Trade: 659, 635, 120, 263, 125. STOP RECORDING TRADE

(21) 4011: FT10.

(22) 2012: FT11. Build Invade Phili to have a disembarkation point on southern US island. AMERICANS: demand 1000 gold, refuse. Exchange maps. Cancel Alliance. Declare WAR on Americans! Raze Capua, Verona, Salamis, Turin, Crete, Izumo, Genoa, Buffalo, New York, Naples, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle, Denver. Take Cunaxa, Detroit, Phoenix, Wounded Knee, Athens, Baltimore, San Francisco (Capital doesn't relocate, get Apollo), St. Louis, Atlanta, San Diego (bribe, get Bach), Cincinnati, Chicago (pay 10,348, lost 2 spies trying to sabotage courthouse), Washington (2 wonders), Richmond, Kansas City, Dallas, Philadelphia, Las Vegas. Build New Port as an alternate way to transport troops from Vikingland to America. Tried attacking weaker cities first, in hope of getting defenders to disband in stronger cities. Only 3 cities left. Clean up partisans. Build Ship Yard because I need a ship in that location (near San Diego). Paratroopers attack and take Halicarnassus (Only 2 cities). Start disbanding unneeded military units. Got bored and simply put lots of units to sleep.

(23) 4013: Didn't do start of turn management properly. 2 Paratroopers, 1 armor, 1 mech inf, 1 spy and 3 howitzers go from Ship Yard to Halicarnasus. Bribe Cannae for less than 400 gold; get 2671 gold back! Bribe Rhonda for 278 gold, get 1780 back. Americans destroyed.

I kept saying a couple of more turns and I will quit this time-sink of a game where every turn was taking close to 2 hours, but something kept me going. In the 4020s it dawned on me that restoration of the arable land of the world is going to take too long. Yet I had no particular plan for finishing up so I kept playing and only the passing of the deadline forced me to quit. The fact that I researched all 255 Future Techs was further indication that it is time to quit.

At the end I had 218 cities but there was still room to build. The north eastern part of the Risby/Lunde island as well as the island between that and Kivivik/Odense island were bare. Some of the smaller islands south of those were bare too. Other than those the rest were full but not over packed.

Almost all my city centers were turned to grassland by the end; so where a good deal of roaded tiles. But there were still more roaded swamps than roaded grasslands. Some smaller islands were about to be fully terraformed (FH, Selbina, ...) but none quite made it.

+4021 Future Tech 35 -> 36 -> 37 -> 38 -> 39. Domestic deliveries for 86, 252, 703, 120. SarTappe and Mackinaw founded.
+4022 Future Tech 39 -> 40 -> 41 -> 42 -> 43. Domestic deliveries for 231, 89, 190, 280, 187, 524. Jarrow, YellowTree, and Thermopylae founded. T1L3S6
+4023 Future Tech 43 -> 44 -> 45 -> 46 -> 47. Domestic deliveries for 126, 75, 62, 250, 116, 270, 255, 58, 56, 22, 52, 72. Miami and Silver Moon founded. Budapest relocated.
+4024 Future Tech 47 -> 48 -> 49 -> 50 -> 51. Domestic deliveries for 128, 331, 42, 314, 350. Dezful, Skara, and Gheshm founded.
+4025 Future Tech 51 -> 52 -> 53 -> 54 -> 55. Domestic deliveries for 131, 232, 257, 155, 388, 158, 126, 58. Beads to Persepolis for 75.
+4026 Future Tech 55 -> 56 -> 57 -> 58 -> 59. Domestic deliveries for 75, 146, 130, 55, 328, 126, 52. Milan, Knossos, and Carmathen founded.
+4027 Future Tech 59 -> 60 -> 61 -> 62 -> 63. Domestic deliveries for 134, 187, 110. Buto founded.
+4028 Future Tech 63 -> 64 -> 65 -> 66 -> 67. Domestic deliveries for 420, 103, 50, 26. Cannae founded.
+4029 Future Tech 67 -> 68 -> 69 -> 70 -> 71. Domestic deliveries for 422, 132, 220, 290. Pharsalos andWales founded.
+4030 Future Tech 71 -> 72 -> 73 -> 74 -> 75. Domestic deliveries for 70, 180, 262, 384, 206, 104, 66. Kazerun, Rhymney, Osaka, AmirKola, Tonbak, and Caernarfon founded.

Status at +4030

Population: 77.8M; Cities: 194; Techs: All+74FT; Government: Democracy
Gold: 585; Cost: 1955 (Adam Smith); Trade routes: 360D1F; Polluted tiles: 0
Wonders: All but Shakespeare and Liberty
Units: 89 Engineers, 114 defenders, 2 ground assault units, 2 air units, 10 Transports, 1 Nuke, 7 Spy, 5 vans
Goals: Terraform as long as real time allows. Expand.
American: Destroyed by me
Persian: 1 city, 47 techs, 22g, 0 units
Sioux: 1 city, All techs, 242g, 1 units; war with me

+4031 Future Tech 75 -> 76 -> 77 -> 78 -> 79. Domestic deliveries for 564, 142, 86. Nantucket founded.
+4032 Future Tech 79 -> 80 -> 81 -> 82. Domestic deliveries for 236, 154, 130, 90, 142, 114, 330, 387. Sigtuna founded.
+4033 Future Tech 82 -> 83 -> 84 -> 85 -> 86. Domestic deliveries for 2x160, 314, 100, 554.
+4034 Future Tech 86 -> 87 -> 88 -> 89 -> 90. Domestic deliveries for 111, 30, 172, 70, 136, 142, 106, 240, 238, 36. Flagstaff founded.
+4035 Future Tech 90 -> 91 -> 92 -> 93 -> 94. Domestic deliveries for 268, 138, 93, 87, 158. Mamasani founded.
+4036 Future Tech 94 -> 95 -> 96 -> 97 -> 98. Domestic deliveries for 432, 107, 284, 242, 210, 291, 200, 84, 53.
+4037 Future Tech 98 -> 99 -> 100 -> 101 -> 102. Domestic deliveries for 167, 105, 174, 272, 128, 260.
+4038 Future Tech 102 -> 103 -> 104 -> 105 -> 106. Domestic deliveries for 190, 83, 380, 112. SantaClara founded.
+4039 Future Tech 106 -> 107 -> 108 -> 109 -> 110. Domestic deliveries for 60, 228, 216, 47, 364, 32, 88. Raging Brook, Spahan, and Kelardasht founded.
+4040 Future Tech 110 -> 111 -> 112 -> 113 -> 114. Domestic deliveries for 138, 192, 436, 132, 158. Ravning Enge relocated. Edo and Trelleborg founded.
+4041 Future Tech 114 -> 115 -> 116 -> 117 -> 118. Domestic deliveries for 396, 214, 203, 70, 360, 178, 412, 307, 115. Swansea and Toledo founded. KaupangW and Richmond relocated.
+4042 Future Tech 118 -> 119 -> 120 -> 121 -> 122. Domestic deliveries for 350, 111, 76, 427, 100. Kagoshima founded.
+4043 Future Tech 122 -> 123 -> 124 -> 125 -> 126. Domestic deliveries for 144, 158, 177, 302, 287, 23.
+4044 Future Tech 126 -> 127 -> 128 -> 129 -> 130. Domestic deliveries for 148, 174, 256. Darwin founded.
+4045 Future Tech 130 -> 131 -> 132 -> 133 -> 134. Domestic deliveries for 140, 204, 42, 87, 48. Brisbane and Havana founded. Ghent relocated.
+4046 Future Tech 134 -> 135 -> 136 -> 137 -> 138. Domestic deliveries for 150, 90, 115, 114, 438, 230, 140, 132, 483, 236, 234, 40. Manchester , Perth, and Point of Rocks founded.
+4047 Future Tech 138 -> 139 -> 140 -> 141 -> 142. Domestic deliveries for 206, 247, 89, 206, 56, 179, 109.
+4048 Future Tech 142 -> 143 -> 144 -> 145 -> 146. Domestic deliveries for 78, 231, 40, 228, 332, 328, 230, 224, 131.
+4049 Future Tech 146 -> 147 -> 148 -> 149 -> 150 -> 151. Domestic deliveries for 205, 332, 388, 75, 450, 116, 189, 68, 80. Durrow founded.
+4050 Future Tech 151 -> 152 -> 153 -> 154 -> 155. Domestic deliveries for 175, 87, 224, 96, 172, 83. Merthyr founded. Viborg relocated.
+4051 Future Tech 155 -> 156 -> 157 -> 158 -> 159. Domestic deliveries for 374, 184, 219, 184, 160. Seattle relocated.
+4052 Future Tech 159 -> 160 -> 161 -> 162 -> 163. Domestic deliveries for 104, 70, 368, 122, 114, 123.
+4053 Future Tech 163 -> 164 -> 165 -> 166 -> 167. Domestic deliveries for 117, 250, 83, 93, 102, 134, 254, 110, 122, 216, 319.
+4054 Future Tech 167 -> … -> 208. Domestic deliveries for 182, 128, 35, 52, 92, 179.
+4055 Future Tech 208 -> … -> 227. Domestic deliveries for 267, 187, 282, 174, 206, 164.
+4056 Future Tech 227 -> … -> 242. Domestic deliveries for 592, 322, 304, 238. Hides to Persians for 192. Tara, Neath, Snake Canyon, and Shushtar founded.
+4057 Future Tech 242 -> … -> 255. Started the turn with 154 engineers and ended with 51. Domestic deliveries for 75, 408, 220, 18, 154, 105. Luxor, Maesteg, Wildcat Valley, Ahvaz, Nashua, and Derry founded. T0S0L10
Stealth fighter destroys last Sioux city. Sioux civilization destroyed.

Top Bottom