GOTM 14 - Final Spoiler!

Yes, science slows down to a halt on archipelago when there are no tiles to cottage or mine/workshop. That's mainly why I really don't like it.
I almost ran into the same problem with my cultural victory, but I was lucky enough to have 3 religions in my cities (should have been 4 or 5 but none spread to me) and with the religious academies I was able to boost culture high enough to beat the slow AI spaceship strategy.

Interesting that just about all the AI spaceship launches people are reporting are 21st century (or close to 21st century), which seems extraordinarily late for emperor level. I'm guessing the archipelago/high-sea-level map is having its effect here: Science can progress really well at first thanks to all the coastal tiles, but eventually the relative lack of tiles that you can build cottages on kicks in and slows science down for everybody, compared to what would be happening on a map with more land.

Production is also pretty limited on archipelago and/or high sea level maps. This is an especially big handicap for the AI because it doesn't do a good job of setting up Production cities in the first place.

Contender,
Space race loss to Asoka in 2012, base score 4850, final score 7758.

First the note to stuff - my game crashed somewhere between 1600 and 1640AD, and I had to replay half the turn from autosave.
I hope this does not disqualify my entry.

Now continuing from previous spoiler.

As I'm writing now on the same computer where I played, I can see that events described in the first spoiler actually happened a bit later than I thought they did.
Note to myself - use the log file next time (BTW, where is the log file location in HOF mod?)

740AD - HC declares on me.
1120 - peace.
1290 - Frederick circumnavigates the globe (I shouldn't trade maps with everyone before I circumnavigate myself!)
1340 - Napoleon declares on Saladin.

I tried to use Maces and Cats to invade Saladin's big island E from HC mainland, with 2 elephants and pigs.
I especially need pigs, health resources are rare on this map.
I was contrattacked by camels and retreive wounded maceman and one catapult back to the galley, then return in 3 galleys with support of one pikeman.
I land maces and a pike, catapults stay in the galley.
Again attacked by camels, pike kill one camel then he got killed.
Rest of the camels cut my maceman into pieces (and they where in the jungle, 50% defence bonus!)
I was so angry that I attacked wounded camels by catapults from the boat, despite amphibious penalty.
Killed one camel, lost one cat.
Well, to make long story short, I captured those two cities on that island only after grenadiers came online.

1380 - Napoleon completes Hagia Sophia (my first wonder in this game!)
1600 - Navaho has been captured by Arabians Empire (barbarian city near lot of furs.)
1610 - AI starts to settle islands reachable by galleon only.
1640 - Najran(Tao holy city) was captured by French!
1655 - Napoleon adopts Free religion and Representation
1675 - Kufah was captured by French!
1680 - Napoleon has made peace with Saladin.

At this point I'm still undecided on what victory path I want to take.
Having 3 religious holy city makes it very tempting to go cultural.
But I don't want to give up military option yet.
Looking back, I think that this indesisiveness was responsible for my loss.

JC incident.

JC was very persistent in spreading Judaism to my Iron city. His first missionary failed, so he brought another one and finally established Judaism there.
Guess what?
In 1680 I see his fleet, 2 Frigates, 2 Galleons, 6 Grenadiers approaching my Iron city just outside my cultural border.
The city is defended by a lonely pikeman, and this is my dedicated third cultural city. Luckily, there is a galleon nearby that ferries my missionaries, and luckily it has another pikeman inside.
I upgrade both pikeman to grenadiers and whip a longbow in the city.
Next turn JC declares on me.

1700 - Julius declares on Napoleon.

His 3 grenadiers dies attacking my city, the rest go outside to pillage iron.
No problem, except that his fleet pillages my seafood and I had to play cat and mouse with it for some time.

1705 - Asoka declares on Julius, Qin Shi declares on Frederick.

Both those wars drags for ages, each side asking me to join in (I refused,) and I don't think that a single city changed hands.

1780 - Napoleon has made peace with JC.
1812 - Napoleon declares on Saladin.

I have a clear tech lead on Saladin, so I declared again. It's not that I need more cities, but I need more resources, both health and happiness.
This time I attacked his mainland with the plan to follow up on the Big Fur island.
BTW, the tech leaders are HC and Frederick.

1826 - Napoleon builds Statue of Liberty.
Not very useful on archipelago, but I considered this more of a cultural building.
I changed my third cultural city, now it's Najran, Tao holy city captured from Saladin.
1842 - Saladin's mainland is conquered.
1852 - Asoka has made peace with JC.
1870 - Big Fur Island conquered.
1874 - I completed Pentagon.
1886 - 3 more cities on the island west of Saladin's mainland captured.
1892 - HC completes Broadway!
1894 - Napoleon has made peace with Saladin.

Now I'm score, population and production leader, 2nd place in gold after HC.
But there is no way I can attack HC - he has Battleships (and a lot of destroyers) and I don't even have an oil yet.
No biggy, 'cause there are 2 oil spots on the captured land masses, I just need to wait while my borders expand, but...
both oil spots claimed, Asoka and Qin Shi put their cities there.

1906 - Qin Chi made peace with Frederick!
1925 - Yangzhou revolts (oil spot.)

Now I realize that my cultural victory is too slow, and I will have to compete in the space race. No problem, since I'm the production leader, right?
I feel like Victory is in my pocket already, and I just lazyly hit "Next Turn."

1929 - HC completes Apollo Program.
1935 - HC completes rock'n'roll.
1941 - Qin Shi completes Apollo Program.
1949 - Asoka completes Apollo
1958 - Napoleon completes Apollo
1960 - Frederick completes UN.

Since i'm the pop leader I elected secretary generall.
However, in the final election I have to compete against Frederick, and he has Defence Pact with Asoka.
Asoka votes for Fred, HC pleased with me but he abstains.
No go.

1980 - Bengal revolts (another oil spot.)
1994 - Frederick completes Space Elevator (before his Apollo prog!)

Now I have spies in HC, Asoka, Qin and Frederick lans.
Asoka has a lot of components to complete, so I don't worry about him, all attention goes to HC.
I move a spy from Asoka to HC, and I can see that I'm going to be ahead from HC by 3 turns. As I said, I already won!

1995 - Napoleon completes Internet.
1997 - Asoka's Golden Age!
2001 - Asoka completes Docing Bay
2005 - Asoka completes Engine.

When I hit F8 I can still see HC who is 1 component away, so I still don't pay attantion to Asoka.

2008 - JC declares on me!

Wow, that's the first time ever that I have built Modern Armor and Stealth Bombers, and i'm actually going to use them!
My submarine saw JC fleet approaching (although I thought may be he's going to Saladin's last city?) so I sunk everything immediately, he didn't even landed.
BTW, he was approaching the city where the final SS components was being built.

2009 - Asoka declares on JC
2011 - Asoka completes Stasis Chamber!
2012 - Asoka wins space race!

WTF? My ss engine should've completed in 2012!

Well, I think the main thing was I need to choose my Victory goal earlier in the game. BTW, my cultural cities where something like 45K/35K/32K in the end.
May be I could win culturaly if I shot down a research and used more of a cultural slider?

May be I could win culturaly if I shot down a research and used more of a cultural slider?

In short, yes.

I usually completely quit researching at liberalism/printing press/nationalism, relying on diplomacy and such to keep the peace. This, combined with trades, typically allows me to run at 100% culture for the rest of the game, and I usually finish with the AI somewhere between riflemen and infantry. I am usually able to trade for chemistry, so my defense, such as it is, relies on grenadiers. But if you're generous early on with the trades and judicious with your choice of religions (or lack thereof), then you usually won't get attacked.

If you're really worried about getting attacked by modern units, I can see researching to battleships maybe on this particular map, but why keep on after you have some kind of defensive unit? But maybe at that point you had totally given up on cultural, which would explain why.

I'd never played archipelago before (really anything other than pangea and fractal) and I was pretty clueless. I built 6 cities quickly, Stonehenge, Great Lighthouse and Colossus and went for a peaceful cultural victory, relying on religions to spread to me, but they did very slowly on this map, and I think I only ended up with two, and didn't win until about 1950. My tech pace was pretty slow too, I think I needed a more offbeat path to trade more.

My first game on Emperor (previous I'd kept myself to Chieftain) was a major learning experience. I was able to get fishing first and still hit Hinduism with the Adventurer start. Then I proceeded to expand to three cities on my continent and start expanding to other islands. Unfortunately I didn't expand quick enough and my territory was quite small in addition to being behind in tech.

Without any good modern resources I got into two defensive wars where stealth fighters absolutely destroyed my economy and I eked out a peace agreement in both without losing any core cities (only lost some cities bordering India.)

In the end my biggest flaw was failing to build any significant navy and the enemy navies and air forces pummelled me but I did make it to 2050 and a loss on score (though I wasn't last place, that was Caesar).

Overall the game was an enlightening picture of both Archipelago play and how fierce Emperor is.

If you're really worried about getting attacked by modern units, I can see researching to battleships maybe on this particular map, but why keep on after you have some kind of defensive unit? But maybe at that point you had totally given up on cultural, which would explain why.

Yes, I totally gave up on cultural, when I had seen HC has rocketry and alluminium, meaning his Apollo Program is in the making.

Contender start. First ever game on Emperor, only higher diff was the GOTM 10 Immortal thrashing. After wins on prince and monarch in recent GOTM, was interested to see how this would go. Well, still a lot to learn! :eek:

Just got this done ahead of real life binding me up for the next two weeks, so just a crude overview now, and the results.

Settled in place, then Orleans by the gems, got henge (2080), got oracle and took Code to found Conf (1440). Met Qin 100BC for first contact. Colossus in Orleans 400 AD.

The low health took some getting used to ... I founded cities to get the health resources, like the one tile with two fish east of Paris. I did get the iron further east.

Took me forever to get set up to go to war, and Qin beat me to circumnav.

Finally attacked Capac in 1250, didn't take his main continent until about 1650. Then took about two cities each from Asoka and Saladin as they tried to run away with the lead. But inefficient warring was getting me behind in tech.

Qin stopped trading on the "you are too advanced" excuse, and others were unwillling to trade for various reasons. I just could not keep up with techs late.

Still there was a point late 19th or early 20th that I had a score lead. But not enough extra land and pop to stay ahead on this level.

Mid 20th, Asoka declares and uses his destroyers to chew up my fishermen, to end the carnage, I give him back Calcutta, which gives him a score lead that he never gives up. Fred is building ship parts, after building Manhattan. I did manage to get SDI up before the AI tried to rain nukes on me ... I think only one hit out of some 6 launched at me.

Can't cover all the threats at once ... Fred's ship, Asoka's score, Saladin's military. Someone besides me will win this one.

Maybe if I get to space elevator first ... 2024 I get to robotics, but that turn Fred completes the elevator. He only has two parts to go.

2015 Saladin declared on me ... more naval harassment. But my own navy makes it cost him, my kill ratio is > 1 for this war. 2019 Asoka builds UN, to add yet another way for me to lose.

2029 Qin declares, I guess just to flex his navy. Killed a few of them, but then Asoka does as well (I end at war with Qin, Asoka, Saladin). None of them made any troop landings, but Saladin took two distant cities of mine near him (I should have just raized them to begin with). Asoka is close enough to bomb cities I took from him and Saladin earlier.

Fred wins in 2039 with his spaceship. I have 3241 base, 5184 firaxis. My peak base was about 3340 or so in about 2020, so not too much loss from the triple war.

And, I was much closer than in GOTM 10 when I was helpless in the late wars. I was in the game pretty much the whole way, until the late tech explosion by the AI.

So emperor is the new hurdle I need to get over.

I think I need more focus in either teching or warring. Trying to straddle that fence seems to be worse than dedicating to one or the other.

Need to stop keeping cities. Raze 'em, then if necessary, rebuild them.

And city specialization needs to be a forethought, not an afterthought for me.

A note on the scoring system:

Entry class: Contender
Game statuts: Cultural Victory for France
Game date: 1990 AD
Base score: 1231
Final score: 3359
How a victory can score less than my loss is astounding. Maybe cultural victories need some extra bonus points, as they are by nature low on land and pop. Maybe this is just an issue for the late cultural wins? Doesn't seem fair the way it is.

dV

After the (partially) non brilliant first millennia, i won the Liberalism race taking Astro in prize.
And i was the first to circumnavigate, too, for what is worth, without navy.

I was building a nice army of maces and cats, transported with 2 galleons to quickly (1580-1655) conquer Asoka's wonder collection (Bombay, with pyramids, notre dame, SC and HG) and Delhi (with the damn Oracle).

My first mistake was not settle some island after Qin settled the iron, my second was to stop the war, i can have esily eliminated Asoka, but i didn't seen good Indian cities to conquer, and HC seemed too far.
another reason was my production: painful, 8/10 turns for a mace, 5 in Paris.

HC DoWed me in 1868, landing a rifle and 2 cannons near Paris, quickly destroyed.
But i has no navy, so the main damage was the pillaging of my seafood.

I was quitting, but i don't like to let a game incomplete (only Wotm 04) and i has a chance to a Diplo.

I managed to build the UN, Fred and Salad were pleased, and Asoka too (!?) voted for me.
But the evil Incan has the evil Chinese and the evil Roman voting for him, and they has the majority of the pop.

I didn't researched rocketry, i even thought to build the Apollo, so it isn't a SS loss, simply someone (again that son of a ... Incan) launched a SS in 2001, shame on him, so late at emperor.

As i posted in the first spoiler, probably my cold can have played a role in this, my bad feeling with archipelago maps too, the oracle lost for 5 turns too, but this map needs too much work to win for my present taste.

The main thing of interest in my first post was the failed galley invasion of the Indian home island. I was pretty shocked by the disaster and played fairly quickly without much of a plan beyond working my way through the tech tree. This left me with 4 cities in 1400AD, 3 on the starting island and a fishing colony to the southeast.

Finished Liberalism in 1410 taking Steel with the intention of going after Asoka with Grenadiers and Cannon; a favorite combination of mine. There was a problem, I had no Iron; the Indians had settled on the Iron island to the east before I had a chance. At this point I developed a real plan. I would tech to Astronomy while capturing the Iron island, turn tech off and upgrade my Catapults to Cannon, Maceman to Grenadiers, and Galleys to Galleons and then capture the Indian home island.

Declared war on Asoka in 1470, capturing the Iron island in 1500. Astronomy in 1510, Delhi in 1555 and Bombay in 1570. After capturing one more city with the Wine to the southeast, I made peace in 1590. This peace lasted for the remainder of the game. An ongoing theme was to fight one war, capture the home island and make peace.

I now had 8 cities and had captured the Pyramids; I was much happier about the game and my prospects.

Declared war on Capac in 1650, taking the 5 cities on his home island and making peace in 1755.

Declared war on Saladin in 1780 taking 5 cities on two islands including the home island, making peace in 1844. I actually captured an additional city with the Beaver, but suffering extreme culture pressure, I gave it back to Saladin.

Before declaring war on the Germans I scoped out his defenses and saw that he had Machine Gunners. This looked a little tough for Grenadiers and Cannon, so I teched to Artillery and upgraded my Cannon before attacking. I declared war in 1890 and easily captured Berlin. The next turn Fredrick upgraded his navy to Destroyers and Transports :eek:. Fortunately other than sinking Frigates and Caravel guarding Fishing fleets, and of course the fishing fleets, he did not effectively use the navy. He never attacked my stack of invasion ships, though I did have empty Galleons to absorb losses. Hopefully the game defends with your empty ships. Captured the 4 cities on the German home island and made peace in 1910.

I then just settled down for a space victory, getting the Apollo Program in 1947 and victory in 1971 for 20126. My lowest scoring and latest finish GOTM, but I was pleased to come back from the early disaster.

Let me start by congratulating anyone who actually won this.

Apparently this scenario was just way too hard for me.

Normally I play on a much lower setting, with continents.

After a rocky start and then losing most of my army capturing the two nearby Indian cities ... I eventually started doing a decent job. Several early wonders were MINE all MINE. I tried using various concepts and tricks from the forums, but ... sadly ... I don't quite understand them.

For most of the middle to the end of the game I was out there with the highest score and most land and WAAAAY the most culture. Since my normal domination approach was simply not possible I decided to try for culture or diplomacy.

To make a long story short:
- I called for several votes, but never got enough due to abstentions
- my first two cities went flying past 50k, but the third one just couldn't get there in time

I knew the Inca was almost done with his spaceship.

By the end I was last in power (whatever that means) and dropped to second place in score (again ... whatever that means).

I had temples and cathedrals from FIVE (yes FIVE) religions in Lyons, plus theater and library and even a castle ... and three artists ... but just could not get that culture to build up.

EDIT: and also had Eiffel tower for free broadcast towers everywhere
EDIT: and the Globe Theater in Lyons too

This was exciting and fun, but ultimately frustrating.
By the very end I was running 100% culture, generating culture in Lyons, and generating wealth everywhere else. I was giving away all my happiness producing resources trying to get everyone to like me more.

Lessons learned:
- emperor level is too hard for me (already knew that)
- archipelago maps must be played differently from continents
- grab more land, but not too fast or you burn through the treasury
- start culture very early and really watch that third city
- don't be friends with everyone (counterintuitive)

- - - - - - - - -

As an aside:
Somewhat early in the game I went over to the next continent with an army of macemen plus catapults. I used the culture bridge to sneak them all over before the open borders ended. I checked very carefully to be sure that my army was vastly superior to the city defenders of the two cities there. Imagine my surprise when I encountered a huge contingent of longbowmen who were very much NOT THERE just a few turns earlier. It felt like the computer was cheating. Most likely there is a logical explanation. I could not finish the war until I learned Astronomy and built the ships that can cross ocean ... to send over several more macemen.

Another item:
My game crashes about every few turns, and any time I press F5, and occasionally when I tell ships to travel a long way. I changed autosave to every turn, and started doing manual saves after every turn, and pushed my resolution to low, and detail to low. On the plus side, the modified screens and alerts are very cool. It sure saves a lot of checking.

Final item:
Many of you are just plain EXCELLENT players. Good job.

So, that’s my second Emperor-level game completed in a week. Two defeats, both to spaceship while I was heading for the last forlorn hope of a diplomatic victory. My main hope is that I’m learning something from this, as the games themselves, after interesting starts, each turned into drab affairs with no hope of victory.

A Little Violence

The early history ended where we were planning to remove Qin from the iron island. This we achieved, but it didn’t quite go as planned. Had some bad luck in losing at 95% and then 85%, ruining my first attack force. Built up a second force and succeeded at taking Nanjing (renamed Ironopolis) in 720AD.
We then bolstered our defences and Qin never managed to threaten us seriously. We patched things up with him. Having got what we wanted we didn’t mind giving him a tech for peace.

A Lot of Resting

Things then went horribly quiet, and I can trace my defeat back to passivity at this time.

Thinking of Violence

We had recently met Asoka, and spent a while mapping out his land. I often considered an attack on him, but although he didn’t have any iron, he always seemed to have large numbers of defenders compared to me. Our productivity was just never good enough (except for Paris) to churn out military, and I was also very worried about what a large army would do to my economy.

I see from my notes at around this time that I was also thinking of throwing the Chinese off of an island to the south, and near the ivory island. Again, this never materialised.

No Wonder

I was trying to encourage the production of Gt People, and did see a few. Just not enough to make any difference. In retrospect I suffered from my failure to go for any wonders at all after the Oracle! What did I say right at the start of my notes? Strong military, and Wonder-builders. Ha!

Out and About in the World

In the 1500s we met J Caesar Esq, who seemed to have drawn the short straw and spent time isolated and backwards. At least it made our position look a little better, to see him propping up all of the scores.

We also met Frederick, who we had known about since we exchanged world maps with Huayna Capac a few years earlier. He immediately took on a formidable position near the top of the scoreboards.

With our first caravels, we had discovered the untouched (and quite resource-rich) lands off to the south-east. We were just trying to colonise these, but due to a stupid miscalculation I hadn’t realised that it couldn’t be done with galleys! What a waste of time!

A Bit of Fist-shaking

In the 1600s, Saladin asked us to join his war against Asoka. Desperate to throw off our inactivity, we accepted, in the hope that Asoka would find it more of a struggle being split fighting two opponents. Naturally, just a couple of turns later, Sladin made peace and left us to it alone! Thanks, chum.
After a few more turns we were force to hand over a tech for peace.

Chasing the Leaders

As we got into the final decades, we kept our technology somewhere within sight of the leaders by careful trading. Rome came in handy here, as they were not as advanced as the others and were often the only taker for our latest research.

Despite this, as 1900 arrived we looked a lonely sight at the foot of every scoreboard. All of the others, even Caesar, had run away from us as we stood still.

We headed at all speed towards Mass Media, knowing the UN was our last hope. Even this was pretty much a lost cause. We just weren’t well enough liked. Our best friends were Huayna Capac at +5. Everyone else hovered around zero. Certainly no-one was likely to agree a defensive pact, or join us in a war. We just wouldn’t get the votes.

During the 1900s, we watched as - one by one – the other civs got their Apollo programmes completed and starting building components for their spaceships.

Some Bullying

Saladin demanded money with menaces a couple of times, but this never amounted to anything.
On the other hand, in 1972, without any form of warning or threat, Julius attacked us and snatched the lightly-defended Orleans. This was on an island on its own, to the south of Ironopolis. We made peace, having no chance of reclaiming it militarily. It revolted a couple of times in the years that followed, but these public protests were ruthlessly suppressed, so we never got it back.

Spectator Sport

In 1994 the game ended effectively, as Frederick built the UN. I was still a couple of turns short of Mass Media. It wasn’t even a close race.

Watched as Frederick was elected secretary of the UN, but failed to get the necessary votes for a diplomatic victory. On one poll, Huayna even got the most votes, though he, too, fell short of the required total.

Also watched as all of the main rivals built their spaceship parts. I was convinced Huayna Capac would win. He had just his SS Engine left to build. Then, in 2031, Frederick launched, having completed his last two components in 2 years.

France had been reduced to a spectating role for so many years that I would normally have long since stopped.

Epilogue

What have I learned? Well, it’s probably too soon for a true objective view. I could do with going to Civ College. I can see from other write-ups that the better players think about, and do, things that I don’t do enough of:
  • How best to use Gt People.
  • Which wonders are most use to you in given situations.
  • Best use of chopping.
  • Best use of slavery.
It’s a fairly quick game. Maybe I’ll go back and have another look at it now that I’ve submitted.

I usually completely quit researching at liberalism/printing press/nationalism, relying on diplomacy and such to keep the peace. This, combined with trades, typically allows me to run at 100% culture for the rest of the game, and I usually finish with the AI somewhere between riflemen and infantry. I am usually able to trade for chemistry, so my defense, such as it is, relies on grenadiers. But if you're generous early on with the trades and judicious with your choice of religions (or lack thereof), then you usually won't get attacked.

Dear Godotnut, as you already know, I play this same strategy in my cultural games. I am surprised to hear that you get Chemistry in your trades. How can you do that?

As I am researching the top part of the techtree I am able to trade all the way from BW up to Banking. Sometimes even Economy. But never GunPowder or Chemistry. After that all AIs know all my techs, and I have quit researching, so I can’t trade anymore.

What tech do you offer in exchange for Chemistry?

By the very end I was running 100% culture, generating culture in Lyons, and generating wealth everywhere else. I was giving away all my happiness producing resources trying to get everyone to like me more.

Lessons learned:
- emperor level is too hard for me (already knew that)
- archipelago maps must be played differently from continents
- grab more land, but not too fast or you burn through the treasury
- start culture very early and really watch that third city
- don't be friends with everyone (counterintuitive)
- - - - - - - - -
As an aside:
Somewhat early in the game I went over to the next continent with an army of macemen plus catapults. I used the culture bridge to sneak them all over before the open borders ended. I checked very carefully to be sure that my army was vastly superior to the city defenders of the two cities there. Imagine my surprise when I encountered a huge contingent of longbowmen who were very much NOT THERE just a few turns earlier. It felt like the computer was cheating. Most likely there is a logical explanation.

Congratulations, Torvoni, your game sounds like a close one, you had your chances, you will be winning Emperor games very soon.

I think a lesson you should add to your list is to concentrate on Great Artists in your cultural games. Five or ten Great Woks could have helped with your third city, couldn’t they?
Also, it sounds as if your third city wasn’t generating much commerce; maybe it shouldn’t have been chosen as a Legendary city.

As for your aside note, maybe the logical explanation is that the AI had a lot of money and spent it on upgrading its units the turn it discovered Feudalism.

These spoilers are very interesting. I'm amazed at how differently the game played out for everyone. A common theme is that one of the AI enemies just cranked out the spaceship. Evidently that is a typical way for a game to end. It is funny to me that in some games Asoka was a powerful enemy while Huayna Capac was crushed.

In my game Huayna Capac finished his spaceship in 1999. My third city would have hit legendary culture in about another 16 turns. For some of the games the enemy spaceship launched late enough that my culture would have made it. I know that is not a fair comparison, but at least I don't feel so bad hoping that my culture would arrive before his spaceship finished.

- - - - - - - - -

Sometimes I wish I could have a very skillful player sit with me and point out my various stupid mistakes. This includes many random things like building the wrong buildings in the city queue, sending a ship somewhere then forgetting why, never having enough workers, never having enough catapults, trading everything with everyone (you traded with our worst enemy), trying to accomplish a task but missing the required tech, never knowing whether to build a farm or a cottage, losing track of where my troops are located, leaving caste system then not being able to add the specialist I want, sending out a settler to a promising location only to arrive and find the AI got there a few turns before, and the list goes on ....

- - - - - - - - -

To me the real "spoiler" information for this game was that India could NOT be reached by coast but lots of other places could be reached by coast. I was never able to take advantage of that and I'm sure made several tactical and strategic errors related to reachable and unreachable locations. In my game I was first to caravels and first to circumnavigate and first to meet Rome ... but never materialzed my mighty navy that I had been planning on using to dominate the world. There were many islands which I could have claimed before anyone else was able to travel freely in the ocean, yet somehow never figured out how to take advantage of that.

@godotnuy and jesusin

WTR chemistry I'm surprised you want to have that tech, as it obsoletes the Parthenon. I useally go for cavalry or rifles as final military.

Congratulations, Torvoni, your game sounds like a close one, you had your chances, you will be winning Emperor games very soon.
As for your aside note, maybe the logical explanation is that the AI had a lot of money and spent it on upgrading its units the turn it discovered Feudalism.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Feudalism?
Upgrading?
Bummer.
Well then I guess I missed by just a few turns then. Before closing the open borders I had swarmed his land with exploring macemen and swordsmen and axemen and catapults. My combat odds were showing to be overwhelming in my favor. Closed borders. Declared war. Bribed someone else to declare war too. Noticed that my troops teleported north as anticipated. Took the trip of THREE TILES south to the city. Found a defending force of longbowmen. GRRRRR. Lost most of my army.

Feudalism?
Upgrading?
Bummer.
Well then I guess I missed by just a few turns then.

Assuming he didn't already have feudalism but didn't upgrade earlier because he wasn't at war with anyone? Then the moment you declared... (Did you check what techs he had before you went to war?)

Originally posted by Torvoni
Sometimes I wish I could have a very skillful player sit with me and point out my various stupid mistakes.

Absolutely! There's been many times I've imagined being able to sit beside one of the strong players, watching what they do and being able to nudge them and ask "Why d'you do that?". I've found it very interesting to read through the threads of the SGOTMs - well, some of them more than others. I've just been reading one team (I won't let on who, as it might be construed spoiler info for the SGOTM) where they discuss things in really great depth. That opened my eyes to some of the things they were spending a lot of time thinking about that I hardly ever did. I'm still following that particular thread with interest.

Some of the other points you listed as having done wrong in this game also brought a smile. I recognised a few that I am guilty of too - although I also managed a few faults that were uniquely my own. :rolleyes:

I found it a strange game in that it is very unusual to come up with a plan and then to find that you have completely miscalculated and it is unachieveable. Like trying to get to Asoka by galley. I tried to populate the islands to our south-east by galley which was a complete waste of time.

I even tried replaying a middle stretch of this game afterwards (I know this doesn't really belong here) - being more dynamic and pushing back against Qin and Asoka - and hilariously fouled up my attack on Asoka when I knew about the galley problem! I landed forces on his land while still OB, content in the knowledge that they would ping to the neutral northern land as I declared on him. Just about to declare and I noticed that at that moment his borders has expanded to include the northern land. This meant my forces would all ping straight back home, and would be no use at all! :lol:

So, now we probably move up a level. I'm looking forward to seeing what that will look like. I'm certainly playing the rookie flavor. I'll have little chance otherwise. What leader and map haven't been played yet?

So, now we probably move up a level. I'm looking forward to seeing what that will look like. I'm certainly playing the rookie flavor. I'll have little chance otherwise. What leader and map haven't been played yet?

I'm guessing the next one will be on immortal, which personally I'm not so worried about, though that will be a challenge. The one after that, which I'm guessing will be on deity, is the one I'm dreading, as I guess that's going to be a real bloodbath; I've no idea how to approach a deity game with any significant chance of winning.

Not sure offhand which leaders haven't been tried. In terms of maptype, we haven't yet had an oasis or a terra map. (I don't think that's a reliable guide to predicting maptypes in future GOTMs though, as Ainwood no longer appears to be cycling through maptypes; rather, we're getting the more 'common' or 'standard' maps getting repeated).

The impression I'm getting reading this spoiler thread so far is that monarch/emperor seems to be the boundary that flips the GOTM submissions from being mostly victories to mostly defeats (that was certainly the case in the past), though that impression this time might be distorted by some of the better players not posting spoilers.

Top Bottom