GOTM 26 Spoiler III - Modern age or End-Game Submitted.

Open, Civ III v1.29

Well, my first Deity win, but uneventful otherwise...

...EXCEPT...

...this is the first time I ever got nuked!

I had destroyed Korea's capital and their spaceship, then kicked 'em off the home continent. I still didn't have Apollo running and then he dropped a nuke on one of my cities!

It wasn't the most productive city, which was Beijing with the Iron Works, nor, I believe was it the largest in pop. It wasn't close to anything or controlling anything. It was just a kind of odd target for Korea to blast.

What I found humorous was that after the blast, my workers descended on all the polluted squares, which was fine and is what I would have done if they weren't all on auto at the time. But what was silly was that after they cleared the pollution, they all moved OFF the squares without building roads first! :rolleyes: Then they came back to build the roads!

After I got started on my spaceship Korea dropped ANOTHER nuke, again targeting something of little note except for the fact that it was building a nuke of it's own to switch to a spaceship part later. So that made some sense, but it didn't target my hugely productive, spaceship building capital.

To finish off the insanity, since I had gotten the Laser before Korea, I ended the war by trading it to him while getting Satellites in return--which was the last ship tech I needed!

So I guess Korea was just having a bad decade in the smarts department...

To Space and Beyond!
After getting to the industrial I sat in a good position with Raj as the #1 dog in the world. I began building focusing on libraries and universities along with muskets to get to my borders ASAP. No telling when Raj would get antsy. He was busy though trying to get a foothold on Toku and getting a foothold on Koreas island site to the NW. I spent many turns 30+ building science. I had prebuilds for factories and had 7 come on line within 3 turns of getting industrial. My prebuild came through nicely for TOE in ??? and along with Hoovers put me in a temporary position of tech leader. My hand built palace in renamed Peking finally finished and my dual cores were starting to hum. All the while I was keeping an eye on Raj and toying with the Koreans who kept trespassing going somewhere. I would let him in to go 5-6 turns deep and then threaten him back home. He did this 2-3 times and I finally just gave up and let him go. I was tempted to just kill him off but being scientific I wanted him to help with his free tech in MA. Letting him go proved to be a lucky break, though it certainly didn’t look like it to begin with. The idiotic Koreans went straight south and declared on Raj! They of course killed off the Korean 2 knight SOD and then came through my lands with around 20 cav/inf trying to head north to get the last 2 Korean cities. I knew Korea was to die so I waited for Raj to get within 2 turns of Korea and then knocked out Korea myself. With all the Raj forces looking like fish in a barrel I threatened him out and yea! He declared in 1310. I promptly killed off his troops with arty cavs and buckled down for the impending barrage. I was able to plant a spy right off and it was his 130+ inf, 30+cav vs my 50+ inf 40+ cav and my 30+arty. The barrage lasted around 6-7 turns. Where the cavs would crash into my territory going after a bait city with 1 musket in it. I would then get all the cav redlined with arty and then knock him off. I did the same with the inf but they were tougher. This produced a load of leaders which rushed armies, universities. After they gassed out I was going to destroy them completely but that takes so much time. I took 3 cities to straighten out my borders and sued for peace getting 1000g+. After that the Ottos were the only science civ left and after a palace prebuild for the UN came in I gifted Otto into MA. He wouldn’t give up his monopoly on computers even though the Tokus had him down to 2 cities. He died with the monopoly. That left Han, Raj, Toku and Takada with Raj and I going neck and neck on research. I was taking chances dealing my tech to Raj for BIG dollars and this kept his research slower. I caught a break getting satellites from him when I had 6/10 pieces built. I had conductors in 2 turns and after that laser left. I knew after the deal it was over.

After playing this game, being relatively new to diety, I see that I have to learn to manage the OTHER civs better. It was a mistake letting Raj get so big and knocking out Korea (scientific). I ended up self researching most of the IA and MA which takes forever when there are hardly any trades available. If done properly I would have finished in 1400 to 1500AD. Oh well, next time. I was thrilled just to complete the objective. I think it was 5998 pts

open - ptw1.14f

I entered the MA in 1490. At this point I was by far the largest civ and also lead the other civs by at least 3-4 techs. Most of the others civs had wars going on, so they never had any chance of catching up. I was in control of almost my entire starting continent.

So i just maxed out research and build infrastructure and all the wonders that came along. Occasionaly som of the other civs would declare war, and i would retaliate by taking all their cities on my continent (if they had any). So in the end there were only 4 Raj cities and a few worthless Korean cities left. Also the stupid Takede with his 9-city Island dared to blackmail me, so i terminated him in 10-15 turns (getting all the spice as well). As i had to research everything myself things didnt go very fast.

Finished my spaceship in 1790.

This is my first victory on this difficulty, so even if i'm far behind a few others, i'm a content citizen.

Question for the experts; Would it have been better for me to wipe out the other civs on my continent asap? This would have bettered my score, but the cities would have been corrupted, so i wouldnt have any use of them. I thought i should just leave a few cities so that i could sqeeze those small civs for gold, selling them old techs and resources.

Btw i'm new to gotm, so if there is anything misplaced or "wrong" with my post, correct me.

Originally posted by Salte
open - ptw1.14f

Question for the experts; Would it have been better for me to wipe out the other civs on my continent asap?

Not that I'm an expert but grabbing the continent does up your score but slows down AI research. On deity level its best to let the AI do most of the research for you. Even if you have the whole continent, this will not feul research faster then having two good productive cores around your palace and FP. The outer cities will have no effect due to the severe research penalties we get when playing deity (it cost us 40% more effort or so, forgot the specifics).

Research the things the AI usually does not go for and trade these for a fast research pace. I let Korea and India both have a third of the continent and between the three of us we researched all the space ship components in the modern age in about 25 turns.

MPF

Open - PTW 1.21f

It seems I am one of the few that started off on the spices position. Because the landgrab is so furious on this level, starting off in a relative off-center position might help I thought. In hind-site, I don't now what would have been best. Did get to grab a reasonable amount of land to form a good base. Not being in the center did avoid early clashes with other civs giving me time to build my core.

Since I went for space race I kept a low profile, mostly trading techs with all the civs to keep up. This worked well in the AA but less so in the middle ages. So I went for the GL coup. Since you will get all the techs availible in the turn after grabbing the GL (even techs after education) I geared up for a quick sweep to grab a large portion of the continent and create a second base. Managed to get the GL from the Khazars in about 250 AD and the GL gave me almost all the middle age techs. Rushed Smiths and Bachs with two leaders as bonus. Things are looking up.

Not much land gained as the Kazars where small. Fortunate the mongols attacked Beakje, whiping them out in almost 6-8 turns. I now had a new target for my partially upgraded riders (didn't upgrade the elite riders as the would be needed to create another Leader to build my FP). When the last Beakjen city fell I demanded a city from the Mongols, the refused (of course) so I asked politly again and again until my rep with them was furious, told them to shove off and voila they declared war on me. Since I am in republic this will help holding war-weariness back for some turns. Asked India to join in and the war could begin.

Sliced through the captured Beakjen cities as the Mongols hadn't any time to reinforce them yet. Capturing almost al former Beakjen cities. Razed the big ones and moved in my settlers. Had to wait for a leader. Somehow this took longer then I expected and I had to really plan my attacks, taking out wounded units with my elites, until at the end of the war (the mongols had only two cities left) I finally got my long awaited leader to rush FP and start to build my second core.

After this stage I helped India and Korea to get as much research done as possible, beelining for techs the AI does not research at first and then trading these. Managed to get TOE and with that Electronics and Radio. Already had a prebuild for Hoover and sold of these techs to gain all availible techs and a lots of GPT from oversee civs.

Tech pace is now running fast, in the modern age I can only keep up by bee-lining for computers (SETI), miniturisation (Internet) and laser. With prebuilds, grabbing SETI and the Internet was a pice of cake. Making it possible to get the Laser and trade al these techs for all the needed space component techs. Beyond Laser I didn't research one of them :cool:

In a desperate attempt to win, India declares war on my just two turns before my space ship hits the skies in 1460 AD.

Still room for improvement but this went very well.

MPF

Playing the Open class with vanilla civ 1.29, using the starting Dyes location. Moved my settler W SW to found the capital, and this proved to become my Iron Works city eventually pumping out 120 shields/turn.

I'd be interested to see if anyone made decent use of the 2nd settler. My instinct was just to walk up to the capital, however I made the assumption the 2 distant spots wouldn't be offered for no reason and founded a city in both locations. In retrospect I don't see any impact to the game from the 2nd distant city.

I took my most of my continent by about 700 ad which increased my score a little, but did slow down the tech pace. I left Korea in the north mostly because it would have been too much hassle to take them out.

I didn't get a tech lead until I built TOE with a GL, and I never lost the tech lead. Built all but 1 of the space age techs myself and launched my space ship in 1770 ad. Probably way behind many, but a good enjoyable game.

Clearly I learned that if the goal is an early spaceship, less fighting and more trading is preferrable.

I would like anyone involved in the creation of this gotm to describe what they wanted/expected to see out of the two settlers starting options. If there was something really valuable to do with the 2nd city I completely missed it.

If it could somehow be done with the Forbidden Palace immediately in the 2nd city that would truly rock! The other way that would have been very interesting would be if the 2nd city was on another continent.

Ancient Times
Middle Ages

Research

When I entered the Industrial Age in 130AD I immediately gifted Korea and Ottomans there as well, taking just Navigation in exchange. Korea got Medicine as her free tech, Ottomans got Steam Power. I gifted Baekje to the Industrial Age as well since she'd been my strongest research partner.

I waited a couple of turns, hoping those three Civs would trade the new techs around but only a two way trade happened. So in 170AD I bought Steam Power and started research again, working on Electricity. And as had happened in the Middle Ages, I found myself unable to achieve a four turn research rate. I made an ongoing effort to increase research capacity. Building Newton's in 260AD helped a bit.

Details of my tech progress through the Industrial Age:
170AD, trade for Steam Power
270AD, trade for Democracy
280AD, learn Electricity (7 turns)
280AD, trade for Medicine
340AD, learn Industrialization (6 turns)
350AD, trade for Military Tradition
380AD, learn The Corporation (4 turns)
430AD, learn Steel (5 turns)
480AD, trade for Nationalism
490AD, learn Refining (6 turns)
540AD, learn Combustion (5 turns)
560AD, trade for Replaceable Parts
590AD, learn Flight (5 turns)
630AD, learn Mass Production (4 turns)
670AD, learn Scientific Method (4 turns)
680AD, trade for Communism
690AD, trade for Enlightenment
720AD, learn Atomic Theory (5 turns)
760AD, learn Electronics (4 turns)
800AD, learn Motorized Transportation (4 turns) and Radio (ToE)

As you can see, I barely got my research rate to four turn techs a few times in this era. And I didn't do well in trades with the AIs. I guided their research and even gifted Baekje, my fastest research partner, 100gpt for part of the era. (As well as luxuries for the whole time.) But it didn't work out, they learned just Nationalism and ReplaceableParts for me. That's the minimum I expect to get from the AIs in this era even if I'm not helping them. Oh well, 800AD was still a nice date to reach Modern Times! :)

I timed a build of Theory of Evolution for 800AD to coincide with learning Motorized Transportation. That allowed me to learn Radio to enter Modern Times and to still have a free tech remaining from ToE, ensuring that I'd learn Computers immediately one way or another. Inter-turn, as soon as I learned Radio, I gifted Korea and Ottomans to Modern Times. They got Rocketry and Fission as their free techs respectively. I then used my second ToE choice to learn Computers.

I had 13 cities with prebuilds going for Research Labs. They completed their labs over the next few turns. But again I couldn't make it to steady four turn research. Details of my tech progress:
800AD, learn Computers, trade for Fission and Rocketry
860AD, learn Space Flight (6 turns)
870AD, trade for Sanitation and Amphibious War
910AD, learn Ecology (5 turns)
920AD, trade for Economics
960AD, learn Synthetic Fibers (5 turns)
1010AD, learn Superconductor (5 turns)
1050AD, learn Satellites (4 turns)
1090AD, learn Nuclear Power (4 turns)
1130AD, learn The Laser (4 turns) and launch! :)

Warfare

In 230AD my Baekje allies destroyed Rajaputana. I'd taken over the majority of the Rajaputana territory by that time.

In 280AD I declared on Takeda and landed 12 Riders on their island. (I was still using Riders at this date, had 31 of them, many of them elite.) During my war on Takeda I started upgrading my Riders to Cavalry as they advanced.

In 370AD my last deal with the Mongols expired so I declared on them and attacked, finishing off their three remaining cities and eliminating them in 390AD.

Also in 390AD Tokugawa, who had already been at war with Takeda before me, finished off Takeda. So I was down to six remaining rivals at that date.

Around the same time the Ottomans were fighting Tokugawa and were faring poorly, so I gave the Ottomans a boost (horses and a luxury) to ensure they'd stay in the game - I wanted both Korea and Ottomans around at the start of the next era.

But that didn't stop me from taking over most of Korea :) In 450AD I declared war on her. During this war I captured Sun Tzu's. A leader appeared in 490AD (I think it had been well over 50 elite wins since my last leader, wish I'd been counting) and rushed Universal Suffrage. I didn't particularly want that wonder but building it put an end to some possible AI cascades at the time. Another leader appeared in 500AD and I saved him, later on using him to rush Hoover Dam. In 510AD I gave Korea peace for her one remaining non-capital town.

In 580AD I declared war on Rome and began a small invasion of the other continent. This war was for no reason except score - I already had all resources and luxuries and any cities I gained in this war would be completely corrupt. This war started off poorly due a strong Roman counter-attack and one captured city flipping back. But my military, though small, had nothing else to do. So I pressed on for a while, gaining some territory and eventually giving Rome peace for a town in 720AD.

In 800AD, after trading for her free Modern tech, I again declared war on Korea. There wasn't much left of her from our prior war so I finished her off quickly in 830AD.

The only remaining rival on the starting continent was Baekje. I'd allowed her to grow so strong, and I'd devoted so little effort to my own military, that there was no point attacking her. Thus Baekje remained my friend until the end :) She finished off Rome in 860AD and that was the last warfare in my game.

Here's how my world looked at that date (and it remained much the same in 1130AD when I launched):

Miscellaneous

It was nice to discover that one of my core cities, Shantung, could build Iron Works in this game! That simplified getting all of the later wonders. Here's how Shangtung looked when it was about to build the last spaceship part - it was one of the more productive cities I've had:

I was able to trade (usually old tech :) ) for luxuries throughout these parts of the game, maintaining 8 luxuries all the way. That gave enough happiness that I was able to handle war weariness (I stayed in Republic throughout) without needing to use the luxury slider - and that was something I really wanted to avoid with the research rate being a constant challenge!

I had great free tech luck in this game - Korea and Ottomans got different free techs at the beginning of each era. But my leader luck was I think the worst I've ever had. I do wish that the chances for creating leaders were a bit more predictable in the game.

Culture flips were amusing. I had just one painful one, in the Middle Ages. My culture rose rapidly after that. But in 480AD I lost a second city in a flip to Baekje, and then in 510AD they lost one in a flip to me! And during my attack on Rome one captured city flipped back to her despite my huge cultural lead.

In hindsight I might as well have taken out Baekje after the Middle Ages. That would have increased my score, and perhaps also improved my launch date by a few turns. (I'd have had a few more productive cities.) Baekje were a great help in earlier research but didn't help in the Industrial or Modern era.

Starting with two separated settlers in this game made for an interesting decision at the start and gave a nice initial boost. The squeezed start position offset that boost a bit, limiting expansion soon after starting. Baekje being a strong researcher but geographically in "our" area (i.e. where we could build productive cities) made for a difficult choice. And the map had many other nice elements, e.g. luxury distribution and the two minor Civs. Good fun!

Originally posted by PattonTwo
I'd be interested to see if anyone made decent use of the 2nd settler. My instinct was just to walk up to the capital, however I made the assumption the 2 distant spots wouldn't be offered for no reason and founded a city in both locations. In retrospect I don't see any impact to the game from the 2nd distant city.
If it could somehow be done with the Forbidden Palace immediately in the 2nd city that would truly rock!
Did you read the Spoiler I and Spoiler II threads? Some people developed the second region a bit, in some cases getting a Palace in one region and Forbidden Palace in the other fairly early in the game. I had the two regions running that way at 1375BC which I'm fairly sure is a record for me. The two separated settlers made an early Palace jump irresistable to me :)

Great Job SirPleb :worship:

Originally posted by SirPleb

I timed a build of Theory of Evolution for 800AD to coincide with learning Motorized Transportation. That allowed me to learn Radio to enter Modern Times and to still have a free tech remaining from ToE, ensuring that I'd learn Computers immediately one way or another. Inter-turn, as soon as I learned Radio, I gifted Korea and Ottomans to Modern Times. They got Rocketry and Fission as their free techs respectively. I then used my second ToE choice to learn Computers.
Great idea, could you give us a few more details on how you do this inter-turn trading.

1050AD, learn Satellites (4 turns)
1090AD, learn Nuclear Power (4 turns)
1130AD, learn The Laser (4 turns) and launch! :).
That's a lot of research on deity :eek: how about a screenshot of your domestic advisor ;)

It was nice to discover that one of my core cities, Shantung, could build Iron Works in this game! That simplified getting all of the later wonders..... - it was one of the more productive cities I've had
And generating a lot of beakers:

If I get this right you have a base commerce of 54, Library, University and Research Lab gives you a total of 182, and with Newton's (?) in the city you get 54 on top of that to reach your 236 in commerce.

So why does this city of mine only generate 135 in commerce :confused:
To me it looks like The SETI Program is not bringing me anything!?

This time last year I was just returning from my vacation at the inlaws where I had played the GOTM for 8 hours per day for 5 days. That game gave me the best GOTM ranking ever, 4th place. Now I just got back from them again but this time I did not take my computer with me because my GOTM days are over for now.

I have just submitted a 610BC conquest loss as I have not played the game in the last three weeks. I will most probably not play the GOTM for a while and will not start any new games of Civ. This decision has several reasons and it's not a permanent departure but a temporary one. Talk to you later.

Not much to add after another overwhelming performance by SirPleb, that walking oxymoron - congratulations! You elevate the art of strategy to a higher level.

I also considered staying in republic but then decided on democracy. It couldn't hurt much since I was waiting for the AI to research steel and/or refining for me. And indeed they got refining which would have taken me 5-6 turns, equivalent to my anarchy period. Still, I might have managed to use ToE in a better way, like SirPleb did, planning my research in a different way and not turning democratic. The benefits of democracy perhaps appear when you have control of a whole continent and a lot of cities at distance 20 and upwards.

I should have spared the Koreans too. I did not think about that as the Mongols swept over their remaining tundra towns with their UUs, which incidently they used pretty effectively.

Again, not much to add. I also gifted the AI up to 100 gpt but only got rocketry (Ottoman free tech) and ecology during the modern age. It didn't help much that the AI was always involved in one petty war or another. Rajaputana was always communist despite having snatched Universal Suffrage. I even researched advanced flight and gifted it just so the raging AI wouldn't get the idea to research it. That might have been a bad move, but I was waiting for ecology and as far as I could see that should not be a more attractive tech than advanced flight for the AI.

Launch in 1580:

Originally posted by zamint3
Great Job SirPleb
Thanks! It feels like a personal best for me in pushing the research pace. But I expect that it won't look good at all next to Bremp's date now that he's opened the rank exploit can of worms in a GOTM :( He'll easily come in quite a bit earlier. Oh well.

Great idea, could you give us a few more details on how you do this inter-turn trading.

In 790AD I finished the turn with:
1) Motorized Transportation will be learned in one turn, and I will then need just one more tech (Radio) to complete Industrial Age.
2) There's a city which will finish building Theory of Evolution in one turn.

When I end the turn there's the usual inter-turn AI action, then:
1) I learn Motorized Transportation. I choose Radio as the next tech to research and exit.
2) Ok the popup message that ToE has been built.
3) I get Radio as free tech #1 from ToE. Just ok that notification.
4) I get the "entered a new age" popup message and ok it.
5) I'm asked what to research next. This is where I'm supposed to pick the second free tech from ToE. I choose "What's the big picture?"
6) In the science advisor window I hit F4 to get to foreign advisor.
7) I gift Ottomans and Korea all tech to get them to Modern Times, and I note the free techs they receive.
8) From the foreign advisor screen, hit F6, and then select a new tech. I chose Computers because neither Ottomans nor Korea got it as their free tech and I want Computers asap to build research labs.
9) Exit the science advisor screen and receive Computers as free tech #2 from ToE.
10) Choose next tech to actually research and exit that screen.
11) Get the popup that a city has produced Theory of Evolution. Select next production there and carry on with the normal inter-turn flow (at last :lol: )

And then when all the inter-turn stuff has finished, use normal trading to get the free techs received by Korea and Ottomans.

That's a lot of research on deity :eek: how about a screenshot of your domestic advisor ;)
Sure, here it is at 1100AD, sorted by beakers:

Shantung wasn't at its very best at that date, there was pollution on one of its tiles. Most spare citizens were scientists. I had just two large research centers: Shantung and Hangchow. Shantung had Newton's and SETI, Hangchow had Copernicus', so I'd hurried hospitals at the first opportunity in both of them and then worker-stuffed them to use all available tiles (first removing citizens in neighboring cities from overlapping tiles.) Getting them both up to 20 working citizens increased the value of their science-boosting wonders.

If I get this right you have a base commerce of 54, Library, University and Research Lab gives you a total of 182, and with Newton's (?) in the city you get 54 on top of that to reach your 236 in commerce.
Actually, the arithmetic gets a bit nasty because of the way pre/post corruption is displayed. Under "Commerce" in that screenshot of Shantung was 2g corruption and 234g assigned to science beakers, for a total of 236.
But, the calculation is done as follows:
54g total - 2 corruption = 52 net for the city.
The library, university, and research lab each add 50% of the base net, so they add 26 + 26 + 26 = 78.
Newton's and SETI (which is also in Shantung) each add 100% of the base net, so they add 52 + 52 = 104.
And the final net total is then 52 + 78 + 104 = 234 which is shown on the right side.

Confusing isn't it? (Because the left side is pre-corruption and the right side is post-corruption.)

So your city of Nanking is bringing in 40 base, -2 corruption = 38 base net.
Library, university, research lab add 50% each: 19 + 19 + 19 = 57.
SETI adds 38.
Total should be 38 + 57 + 38 = 133 net on the right side and matches the display.
You could boost research a fair bit by purchasing a hospital in Nanking and then joining workers to it to be citizens on another six tiles, with the research from those six tiles getting multiplied by 3.5 because of all the boosts including SETI :)

1.27f
Open

Link to Ancient Thread
Link To Middle Ages

Well, this game for me was a good lesson in focus, although not necessarily a good result. As I mentioned in the earlier threads, I had made a good second core, and my first real palace jump, so was pretty happy with my situation on the home front. I also used my riders to make progress in the home continent, but in attempting to prolong the rider's advantages, and using the Great Library, the research pace was so slow through the Middle Ages that I felt an early space launch was already out of reach. So I decided to go for domination. I entered the Industrial in 570AD, as Korea got Medicine and I started on Steam, glad I wouldn't face Nationalism just yet. (Ottoman were way behind, and I didn't want to catch them up and get Nationalism out yet). My own research in the IA was in fits and starts, I went 80% or so for Steam, 11 turns, then slowly went after electricity and SciMethod to get cash for rushes along the way.

I did get a lot of leaders, I lost track. I was able to rush several wonders:
Newtons 590AD
Hoovers 1020AD (TOE was pre-built)
Universal Suff. 1030AD
Pentagon (other continent) 1180AD
Also built Iron Works, Military Academy, Battlefield Medicine, Wall Street by hand. Made a lot of armies also, had at least 8 remaining at the end, 4 cav each (except one w/3 Riders and a cav, that was a holdover).

Takeda declared war in 590, and it was easy to put them off, killing the occasional landing, until I had reduced Korea to an island in 640, getting Medicine. By 680, Takeda had Nationalism, and so my invasion against them was tougher. I was in nearly constant warfare, and yet still in Republic (a penalty of my indecision) and suffered from terrible war weariness at a couple of points. Takeda was reduced to a couple small islands by 800AD, and I made peace and developed a plan to invade the other continent. They had bought in the Tokugowa, who had earlier crushed the Kuroda and was the power on the other continent. Also, the Toku had 3 luxuries, and through a series of embargos, capture was my best shot of getting them. The map, Kublais, and strategic movement made the invasion and resupply a MM pain, as I eventually had to use some "ship-hopping" even though I don't like it, my Kublais would otherwise be stuck one tile out of port. Progress was slow, one city per turn, until I got 2 stacks of 20+ artillery going, with the cav armies. By then, though, WW was taking it's toll again, so I decided to make peace with them. I was within a couple hundred tiles of Domination, and Rome for some reason had joined in an MPP with Toku, even though they were still Middle-Age tech, so I decided I would shift and gain cities there. I got the ROP with Oda, who were my only real trading partner, and made peace with Toku, but duh, I guess the MPP was still in effect as the next turn Toku was pulled back into war with me, meaning my WW kicked back in. At least I had secured the 3 luxes, and was able to move quickly against Rome, getting 6-7 cities and a few more Toku, until I finally got the message I was waiting for:

Unfortunately, the pace was slower than some of the dominations already posted, finishing in 1305AD, although my Firaxis was 10,628. The tons of corrupt cities, constant War Weariness, and slow combat in the forested tundras of Tokugawa combined to make the last few centuries seem more of a chore than fun, but the first two ages were very interesting.

My biggest problem, as I mentioned, was lack of focus. Once I decided to go for domination, I should have optimized my cities, probably switched to Monarchy, or at least taken a few turns to generate cash and rush markets in all of the large, corrupt cities. (I eventually started doing this). I would push ahead in research (keeping a lead throughout the IA) but with no real goal in mind after TOE/Hoovers, except vaguely Motor transport, but I knew I would probably hit the limit before I ever got there anyway, and instead was short on cash at a couple points for no real benefit. I also should have gone after the Ottomans and Romans, if my main goal was territory, who were both backwards in tech and power, and on more open terrain. Good lessons learned (relearned, I suppose), hopefully I can put them to use in the GOTY!

SirPleb thanks for teaching me about commerce and corruption, funny, to me at least, how math was playing games with me :)

My own game :

I started by moving my southern Settler north, not wanting to deal with highly corrupted cities early on. This worked OK, I made a lot of contacts on the road, with some good trading, and build my second non-corrupt city after about 10-15 turns.
Being on Deity I decided on some tight RCP with ring1 at 3-3.5 and ring2 at 5-5.5, this was fine early on, but later the space was somewhat limited, and I never build any hospitals. Actually I did build one by accident

Having read SirPleb’s article on generating Great Leaders my strategy was now to create a lot of those for rushing The Forbidden Palace and after that Wonders, especially the scientific ones.
This was the first major setback : first leader in 730 AD and Forbidden Palace in 740 AD, that might be considered a little late :lol: :cry:
Later I got a good deal of Great Leaders, but by then all the MA Wonders were gone, and I got my self half a dozen of useless armies.

Actually this was my second setback, after doing some great trading out of AA, I had forgotten about the raging barbs, and got ransacked by 12 barbarian horsemen for all my newly gained gold.

The Tech pace was OK early on, The Ottomans and The Koreans got different free techs at each age. Later some MPP’s started a lot of silly wars and the pace slowed considerably.

I finally launched in 1530 AD

You might have seen SirPleb's Domestic Advisor, here is one from the more mortal zone at CFC :

zamint3

Middle Age

[civ3] v1.29f Open

My FP in the south is under great cultural pressure from the Raja and I already had a Chimkent flipping to them in 360 so I have to build much culture to avoid flipping. On top of this Raja seems to be making lot of cash and decent research so they need to be my partner in the long term.
I will try to have the AI helping me at research
In 600, I grab a Wool lux in second continent rushing Libraries & Uni (for Culture battle).

I am searching Steam at 100 % due in 5 turns and then Indus. I have deployed my workers to build frantically my railroad and will pre-build some factories (with Colloseum) when needed. I gifted most of my techs for some luxs and also to have the AI at parity to help me out.
680 AD : I have just finished Indus (5 turns) and put all my pre-built back to factories. I revolt to Democracy… a tech I have exchanged last turn with MA. I wish the AI could help me more on this research so I put them at level, (just keeping Indus to me) in the hope they will research Medicine.
840 AD : Most of my deals are now finished and I am searching at 5 per turns but also at –278 GPT, going for Refining and still no sign of Medicine.
860 AD : They researched Communism, pooh. I did not micromanage the towns to be on the 4 turns routine thus losing some turns in the process. I trade Electricity for Communism & WM & 162 GPT & 20 GP with Raja. I will give it to the rest so that they will be tempted by Medicine. I needed the cash to avoid being in deficit but it zill cripple the research as it seems Raja are the fastest ones. Maybe I should be less conservative and trade more lux & tech to AI but I did not want to lose the tech lead I had…
870 AD : MPP between Kuroda & Oda. The following turn Kuroda sneak attack me, conquering my lux town in their south. I ally everyone against Kuroda for Indus. I am still second to culture vs Raja and I fear flips in my second core. I am finally researching Medicine by myself (4 turns) + 78 GPT with 171 GPT coming from AI civs and will give it to AI so that they could research Sanitation... I have researched Refining (5 turns) earlier.

My army is 83 Worker (for fast grow of towns) & 17 Rifleman & 17 Cavs & 11 Cannon & 21 Medieval Sword & 3 Cannon Kublai
I ferry my army across producing more cavs and riflemen in order to keep my south core with a decent defense. And the following is an onslaught on poor Oda and Kuroda to get back my captured wool and grab the missing silk (8) from my lux list.
910 AD : Research Sci Method (100% - 4 turns)
950 AD : Replaceable Parts (100% - 4 turns), I will finish TOE in the right at the same turn. I could only research Atomic Theory in 6 turns… I have already destroyed 2 towns to grab some slaves on the new continent. A new towns just allows me to re-conquer some wools. WW is 31 %.
990 AD : Hoover Dam is rushed with a leader while TOE allowed me to grab the necessary techs to jump there. My capital will build armies (8 turns) in order to help production were needed. My army is now 99 workers & 26 Infs & 35 Cavs & 4 Artilleries & 7 Cannon. I am searching Steel (100% - 4 turns) on a slight deficit. I am going to cut the Kuroda territory in 2 parts while going to conquer the two Oda towns in the south for silks. I could sue for peace at this time but I may need to wait for the end of my MA with AI.

1030 AD : I need to search Sanitation (70% - 4 turns + 400 GPT) by myself. I am :mad: at AI. I badly need to grow my cities to a decent size to decrease the upkeep of my workers & continue a fast research. I pre-build Police Station everywhere so that I am ready to switch to Hospital where needed.
Towns are falling to my attacking force. I am trying to limit casualties but WW is up to 50%

1080 AD : Another leader rushes Pentagon. I trade Sci Method with Otto for Espionage & 79 GPT & the same to Raja for 104 GPT. I am now researching Combustion (100% - 4 out of 5 turns & - 42 GPT). For the moment, unhappiness (WW is up to 55%) makes and lack of Hospital makes it impossible to go faster. But soon War is over as there are only 4 more cities to finish Oda & Kuroda. Maybe I should have research Sanitation before steel to avoid missing one turn.
1100 AD : Oda and Kuroda are dead. War is over, I will continue to rush Temple and some Harbors on the second continent. I have just exchanges Enlightment so that I am currently building Intelligence Agency & Battefield Medecine (not very useful but using a Palace pre-built) and Shakespeare’s Theater in the capital (in 7 turns). I still have 77 workers to join my core cities.

Mass Prod (4 turns)
Motorized (4 turns)
1200 AD : Raja 275 GPT vs Steel and also all the other main civs
Flight (4 turns)
Radio (4 turns)
I enter the Modern Age in 1265 AD, searching Computers (100% - 6 turns), I will prebuild all I can with the Police Station or Stock Exchange in order to get quicker research lab. A Palace pre-built will give me SETI wonder.
1285 AD : Raja tried to extort Wines out of me but I said no. So I deal for 12GPT the next turn. I have so many deals with Raja that I hope they will not attack me. My army is strong on defense, so It should be ok.
Rocketry (5 turns)
Space Flight (5 turns)
1330 AD : Raja 370 GPT & 1330 GP vs Flight / Takeda gives 79 GPT / Ott gives 19 GPT.
Fission (5 turns). I am prebuilt with some Coal Plant to get faster my first parts of the space ship. All my slaves are in Automatic mode
1370 AD : Satellites in 4 turns, building United Nations & Manhattan Project and prebuilding a Palace for the last part of the spaceship.
Ecology (4 turns)
Synthetic Fiber (5 turns)
1435 AD : Raja 492 GPT & 670 GP vs Computer / Takeda gives 61 GPT / Ott almost the same…
Superconductor (5 turns)
1450 AD : Raja & Takeda sign an MPP … only 12 turns to finish the game. I may consider to wage the war against Rome…
Nuclear Power (4 turns)
1480 AD : Laser in 4 turns …
1495 AD : Space Victory – Score 10492.

It could have been 1425 AD : Diplomatic Victory – Score 10418

Great Job SirPleb :worship:

As I am playing [civ3], I had the AI to grab Monotheism (entering MA), Nationalism (entering IA) and rocketry (entering MA) and potentially helping me to search some techs ...

I considered keeping the AI with my pace giving techs but I would have only benefitted from a rocketry deal - 5 turns gain.
But I would have lost all the GPT deals that helped me funding my research so I think in the end it would have been even.

Frankly I did not want also the other AI to declare a war on me while I was in peace and building infra an limited army so I kept my tech lead in order to be able to ally everyone against a potential target if needed.

Conquest
Vanilla 1.29f

My first deity game and 5th GOTM. I am happy to be alive with a good chance for a space victory.

Entered the modern age in about 1390AD. Developed the capital in the north at Beijing and built a good core. My second city Shanghi got the FP but had difficuly in getting a good second core which slowed me down considerably.
I am somewhat concerned about production capacity as I would need to beat my research partners to build spaceship. Accordingly I used the TOE to get the two tech's necessary to build hover dam. I have iron works factory and hover dam in the capital so production is not a problem.

My major research partner was Ghandi, with Korea also helping out. I was ahead in the tech's for most of the IA with 100% research. Selling tech's to all who would buy for massive profit. I was getting over 800gpt from other civ's especially Ghandi.

Here comes problems. I had peacfull relations with Ghandi the whole game and did not interfere much with their expansion. We were both similar is size with my civ just edging out for largest area. They were paying me so much gpt for tech's they were going broke and decided to solve their problems by going to war.
A massive war errupted and I managed to enlist the help of all remaining civs. Ghandi is now crushed but I have lost many turns of research and my economy is hurt by only getting about 115gpt from other civs.

Tried several times to end the war but keep getting dragged back by a MPP with Beakje that I got by accident (I thought I was getting a ROP). Oh well only 2 turns left on the MPP.

I have one question for Sir Pleb 'the great' or whoever else might have an answer.

Is there a quick way to see how much base commerce you are generating in you large cities (e.g. size 20) or do you have to count all the little symbols. After seeing the calculations it makes sense to put the tech wonders in the cities with highest base commerce and minimal corruption.

Originally posted by captain chaos
Is there a quick way to see how much base commerce you are generating in you large cities (e.g. size 20) or do you have to count all the little symbols. After seeing the calculations it makes sense to put the tech wonders in the cities with highest base commerce and minimal corruption.

When you are looking at the F1 screen, you can sort the list by clicking on the symbols at the top. So you can click on the shield to find your most industrious city, or the beaker to find your best lab sites or on the gold to find the most commercial. (All the other column headers are sortable too.)

Since the cursor doesn't change when you mouse over it you wouldn't know it was there unless you read the manual carefully!

Originally posted by pterrok

When you are looking at the F1 screen, you can sort the list by clicking on the symbols at the top. So you can click on the shield to find your most industrious city, or the beaker to find your best lab sites or on the gold to find the most commercial. (All the other column headers are sortable too.)

This is a very helpful tip!

However, the commerce reported in the F1 screen is after numerous adjustments to the base net commerce. I am wondering if Sir Pleb has an easier method to figure out the base net commerce or if he counts all the little thingy's for each tile?
:) in the city screen.

Top Bottom