Grakl's Mod Editor

I apologize for not having updated in the timespan I have indicated. Big work release due at the end of October so coming home and programming more is the last on my mind at the moment.

JeBuS27:
I have parsing functions that load each XML file into an XMLDocument object. At which point I iterate through all the nodes in the XMLDocument object and write them into a DataSet that I created in the designer. I'm fairly certain my approach isn't the most efficient way to do it though (i.e. I don't create the DataSet automatically from the schema). When I get home, I'll PM you one of my parsing functions.

I'd still be interested in seeing it, as I fear I'll need to do the same thing.

Hey I hope you are still working on this, i am VERY interested, as I have some very cool mod ideas but can barely program HTML lol. Keep up the good work and posts. Thanks!

Hey,

Just found this and it looks interesting. I hope that work continues. One thing that I noticed is that the City list is alphabetized. Could there possibly be a way of ordering the cities in a future update... say you want to make Philly the capital of America (Top slot) and move Washington down a few notches?

Keep up the great work.

The link on your DL page is down due to hack attack as per Adminstrator announcement "Forum Security Breach...":(

Download is fixed. I apologize for that, I've been away from Civfanatics and Civilization in general for over half a year now. Could spout a myriad of excuses, life (yay more kids), death (boo dead family), work (that work release I was talking about in Oct...yeah, it's April and we still havn't shipped it), etc.. but that's all pretty shallow. Regardless, I fixed the link. I also, as I promised to a friend, released the code for the project completely open and ready for anyone to take a crack at finishing the last little bits. IIRC it was the last couple tads that were giving me trouble. Just needed to add some more XML parsing for the cities and leaders so they could be edited.

It's a Visual Studio 2005 project but anyone who has that I'm sure knows what they're doing. Feel free to message me if you need help. It should be pretty simple and straightforward. I'm not entirely sure the shape of the code but I believe it's exactly how I left it when I generated the last release.

I make no requirements for anyone to use / abuse / copy / learn from my code. Though I won't complain if you mention my name somewhere in a positive light. Hopefully, it'll help someone solve a problem or give them a spring board onto the civ editor scene. Good luck and thanks for everyone's interest.

I was using this utility a while ago and it worked pretty well, but now I've re-downloaded it to get back into modding and it wont save my changes. I could have sworn back when I had this earlier, I could... There is simply no save button, and just exiting doesn't work. Help?

when I open the editor none of the files I try to open with it will open,which file am I supposed to open with the editor?

Very nice.

edit
when I open the editor none of the files I try to open with it will open,which file am I supposed to open with the editor?

Select your Beyond the Sword folder, not your mod, at startup. If you need to, you can
delete the config file in the "Grakl's Civ4 Mod Editor" folder to get the prompt again. Once
that is done go to file>Open and select your mod folder.

OK Thanks for the reply and it does seem to get me farther along than before but after I select the BTS folder what folder do I go to next

Grakl or Jebus you still into this coding Im at the start of ladder now, made some good progress loading into datasets ets (I think!) and could maybe need some help / help you.

thanks

Bumping this... just downloaded and can't get it to run... does it need to be recompiled with the new version of Civilization now?

Is this only for XP? Cause whenever I open it on vista, it immediately says that it's stopped working. What do I do?

I'm writing a similar program with the hope of encompassing every xml file so all xml modding can be done within the program, but i'm running into a problem with outputting the xml files. What encoding should i use?

RK142: Are you running Windows Vista x64?

Civ4XMLEditor has a bug where it's built for "Any CPU", but it comes with x86 FreeImage.dll. This causes it to fail to load FreeImage when running on Windows x64. The fix is to build Civ4XMLEditor targetted for x86.

I've attached a version of Civ4XMLEditor targetted for x86 that should fix this issue.

Attachments

• Civ4XMLEditor.zip
    76 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom