1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Granary?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Scrivener, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Point taken (probably even for expansionistic civs who build 30-shield granaries) especially as I'm still trying to move up to Monarch level. They're still good for settler factories though. :)

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Oh indeed. As I mentioned, one of our worker factories was a converted settler factory. Another way to convert a settler factory into a worker factory is to intermix military units with the workers. When it can be made to work, horse-worker-worker-worker is a nice build sequence.

The only time it makes sense to build granaries in slow-growing cities is at the very beginning of the game. Let's say your capital is in a region with no food bonuses. In this case, you should build a settler as fast as you can, timing it to arrive when the city reaches size 3. Often both cities should next build granaries. The region around the capital should be well-developed as the worker has had twenty turns to do the job. So he should move on to developing tiles in the second city.

You will have granaries in both cities before they reach size three, thus doubling the growth of your fledgling empire. DaveMcW has a rule about this. Build a granary if the city has two BGs to mine (or the equivalent). The two cities can then build settlers and workers at a decent clip, intermixing them with military. I usually throw a barracks into the queue somewhere when working with this situation.

3. MAS

MAS Deity

correction, no such thing, not even for agri. The folx at Firaxis where clean the day when they balanced the power of the expansionist civ.

4. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

I'll try that in my current Byzantine game. I do well with Byz, though I'm not sure exactly why.

My bad, on both counts. Just a bit of a brainfart on my part.

5. Siaphi94

Siaphi94 Uber king

granaries cost money, so dont build them everywhere. only build them in your capital city or in very good citites that will need a granary to grow quick. since it always helps to have granaries, i would build the pyrimids. its completely worth it. its how i made like 30 very productive cities and i won in the middle ages in victory points.
    but that was on warlord, i myself have alot of trouble with regent difficulty

6. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

I don't care so much about the maintenance, it's only 1 gold per city. I have used workers to grow cities, but not on a strategic level. It's a good strategy that I have not used much.
    Once I have a new worker, I always find some outdoor work for it...

I just buy all my granaries. :coffee:

7. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

I don't think so. It's been a while, but I can't remember building granaries at half cost when I was expansionist.

8. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

And for ten, fifteen cities that would be.. ;)

I used to either build the Pyramids or never bother with granaries at all. But that was before I understood the Power of Food :eek:

I think it's probably best in most situations to join workers from a worker farm for faster growth, and that way certain cities can max shields instead of balancing fpt and spt. Circumstances permitting, there are games when I have a worker factory working well into the age of rails and hospitals to get the Fascim unit support advantage. Of course I don't know if this would hold out on levels like Deity and Sid, I'm not that good :lol:

9. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Like I said, my mistake. :suicide:

10. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

yes, worker factories work fine on deity/sid, and since it's harder to get pyramids on those levels...

11. Sashie VII

That's good to know :)

Understatement perhaps? :lol:

12. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Worker factories can be built at a lower pace than settler factories and have a far longer useful lifespan. It's almost always worth building them sooner or later.

13. AutomatedTeller

well, pyramids can be easy to get on deity... just take it from the civ who built it!!

14. MAS

MAS Deity

Its always a civ on an other continent who gets it! :mad:

15. AutomatedTeller

I'm actually not sure it is possible to build pyramids on deity/sid, at least not by hand. It's sometimes not possible to build collosus on sid, even if you put every shield into it from turn #1. the AI seems to start building wonders once they have 4 cities or so, and that can happen on turn 10 on Sid if they have a food bonus.

16. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

So play a pangaea world. :D

17. Sashie VII

If it's on the other, farthest side... :lol:

18. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Ah, the frustration of getting squashed into the unproductive corner of a continent with all the best land at the other end. I know it well. :aargh:

19. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

That would be only 15 gpt. :)

40 cities would only be 40 gpt. Still only 1 per city.

20. Sashie VII

40 gpt.. per turn ;) that could be better spent elsewhere IMHO :lol: