1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Granary?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Scrivener, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Maybe, if you are poor. But the net cost for a granary is not 1 gpt. It doubles the growth speed, thus generating more commerce. I think in many cases granaries will benefit you financially.
    (That's not to say a granary is what will benefit you most.)

2. Siaphi94

Siaphi94 Uber king

it dosent give you more commertence, though. it just increases growth and what if you have 100% science? luckily, i hurried the pyrimids on regent with a scientific leader because im ahead of rome in 3 advances

3. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Growth = more tiles worked. This should indeed generate more commerce.

If you have 100% science or 100% tax doesn't change this fact.

4. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

the thing is, 40 granaries is 2400 shields. That's the pyramids 6 times over.

plus, once you get to size 12, you don't want the granaries untill and unless you want to build a hospital, so there will be many turns where it is just cost.

Better is to grow cities with a smaller # of granaries which spend the game pumping out workers every other turn and merge them later.

5. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

I don't build all the granaries. I don't know exactly how many, but maybe I rush as many as half of them. In the early part I have to build them brick by brick, but later I rush them all.

The computer does not sell its granaries when the cities reaches the size of 12, therefore I do not do it either. I can't ask the AI to play in a certain way, so I adapt my playstyle. I want to beat the computer in the way it plays itself.

There are exceptions... I do not do the unfair things the AI does.
    Here's what I mean:
    Civilization III - Evaluation of Moves - v1.2 - compiled by Sirian

6. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Poor or no, I was saying that the gold would be spent needlessly. Population growth is important, but how to get that population optimally is what I perceive to be in discussion :) I'd go with pop-factories, since IMO it would be faster in most cases.

7. Siaphi94

Siaphi94 Uber king

selling is never worth it, though. you only get 10 gold or less

8. AutomatedTeller

well, you get 10 gold, plus you don't pay 1 GPT for the rest of the game. I rarely sell off my granaries, but that's mainly because I never think to do it.

I have thought about trying a monarch/emp game where I have to play like the AI - automation of workers, using the governor, inefficient spacing, too many defensive units, researching as though I don't know the future - making my only advantages better city placement and more workers.

9. Siaphi94

Siaphi94 Uber king

but once you build hospital you will want to have it grow quicker again

10. AutomatedTeller

true. But, frankly, I tend to just make workers and grow cities with hospitals by joining workers.

11. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Same goes for me, which takes things back to pop-factories.