Granary?

40 gpt.. per turn ;) that could be better spent elsewhere IMHO :lol:
Maybe, if you are poor. But the net cost for a granary is not 1 gpt. It doubles the growth speed, thus generating more commerce. I think in many cases granaries will benefit you financially.
(That's not to say a granary is what will benefit you most.)

it dosent give you more commertence, though. it just increases growth and what if you have 100% science? luckily, i hurried the pyrimids on regent with a scientific leader because im ahead of rome in 3 advances

it dosent give you more commertence, though. it just increases growth and what if you have 100% science?
Growth = more tiles worked. This should indeed generate more commerce.

If you have 100% science or 100% tax doesn't change this fact.

the thing is, 40 granaries is 2400 shields. That's the pyramids 6 times over.

plus, once you get to size 12, you don't want the granaries untill and unless you want to build a hospital, so there will be many turns where it is just cost.

Better is to grow cities with a smaller # of granaries which spend the game pumping out workers every other turn and merge them later.

I don't build all the granaries. I don't know exactly how many, but maybe I rush as many as half of them. In the early part I have to build them brick by brick, but later I rush them all.

The computer does not sell its granaries when the cities reaches the size of 12, therefore I do not do it either. I can't ask the AI to play in a certain way, so I adapt my playstyle. I want to beat the computer in the way it plays itself.

There are exceptions... I do not do the unfair things the AI does.
Here's what I mean:
Civilization III - Evaluation of Moves - v1.2 - compiled by Sirian

Sir Lancelot said:
Maybe, if you are poor. But the net cost for a granary is not 1 gpt. It doubles the growth speed, thus generating more commerce. I think in many cases granaries will benefit you financially.
(That's not to say a granary is what will benefit you most.)

Poor or no, I was saying that the gold would be spent needlessly. Population growth is important, but how to get that population optimally is what I perceive to be in discussion :) I'd go with pop-factories, since IMO it would be faster in most cases.

well, you get 10 gold, plus you don't pay 1 GPT for the rest of the game. I rarely sell off my granaries, but that's mainly because I never think to do it.

I have thought about trying a monarch/emp game where I have to play like the AI - automation of workers, using the governor, inefficient spacing, too many defensive units, researching as though I don't know the future - making my only advantages better city placement and more workers.

Top Bottom