[GRAPHIC TESTPACK] EthnicEraArt

GeoModder

Deity
EthnicEraArt - vs 0.15 - African style completed - Native style in progress

This is the start of an expansion upon my EthnicArtstyles mod. On top of ethnic artstyles, ethnic fishing boats, ethnic units pre-renaissance and some other minor stuff there's a full ethnic unitline for the African combat units. What happens is that Ancient and Classical units switch to other graphics in the Renaissance Era, and all units switch to another artstyle again at the onset of the Modern Era.
So, you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that your club-wielding warrior in the older ages suddenly becomes a rebel and fires an automatic gun in post-industrial times. :D
Renaissance/Industrial units stay in the "army", but have a modern look once the first modern tech is researched.

As said, this is a showcase (for the unpatient ones) and far from finished. Have fun trying it out.

The mod is downloadable at FileFront, it has become to big to put in a single file and upload it here at CFC.

Attachments

• EarlyEraArt.jpg
    EarlyEraArt.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 424
  • MiddleEraArt.jpg
    MiddleEraArt.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 505
  • LateEraArt.jpg
    LateEraArt.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 439
I take it the 3 pics show the same units as they progress over time.

I like the general idea of having era specific graphics, but handing guns to swordsmen takes it too far for my taste, how can you tell the swordsman-turned-rifleman from a real rifleman (or the infantry from the marine) ?

Someone already complained that some of my civ-specific macemen carry swords, so their name does not fit ;)

I am looking forward to the full release to see how this ends up. You sure will need lots of graphics for this.

I take it the 3 pics show the same units as they progress over time.

Indeede. :yup:

I like the general idea of having era specific graphics, but handing guns to swordsmen takes it too far for my taste, how can you tell the swordsman-turned-rifleman from a real rifleman (or the infantry from the marine) ?

Well, I thought I explained the renaissance units stay in the army, hence they have uniforms and stuff on. In general, in this mod every footunit with a :strength: lower then 10 switches to the rebel graphic, exception is the horse archer who switches to a helicopter like the rest of the pure horse units. Every unit above that :strength: switches to an industrial/modern outfit.
For your infantry remark, look closely. The marine has stayed the same, but the infantry switches to a marine+backpack+new weapon graphic.

Someone already complained that some of my civ-specific macemen carry swords, so their name does not fit ;)

Yeah, I know. But can we help it some players are too lazy or too financial backwards to upgrade their units to a current era equivalent? ;)

I am looking forward to the full release to see how this ends up. You sure will need lots of graphics for this.

Sure do I, so I like to use this remark as a general call towards the gifted among us to create era-specific graphics. :goodjob:

I like the general idea of having era specific graphics, but handing guns to swordsmen takes it too far for my taste.

I agree. Era-specific uniforms/clothing is a perfect idea but replacing weapons is too much for me too. What about having soldiers empty-handed instead? ;)

Well, if you guys can come up with a python script changing the name of unitclasses in the post-renaissance era's you're welcome to hand it over. How does "6hp militia" (formerly a swordsman) or "3hp militia" (formerly an archer) sounds to you? :mischief:

Maybe... :|
Thread subscribed. I wana contribute to this.

An update.

The whole African unitline (combat and non-combat) is done thanks to siam's contributions last month. In the future I might change a few of the shipgraphics, but essentially Africa is complete.
On top of that, a large part of the Native American unitline (combat) is done too. There are no graphics for non-combat units like missionaries and great people, so I need to let these be for the moment. I simply couldn't resist working first with all those shiny Sioux/Pawnee graphics from Bernie14. Hopefully he'll work on some more units like a Sioux -and Pawnee horsearcher and rifleman. :goodjob:
Uploading it now since I got a busy week ahead. See the first post for the updated download link.
O yes, almost forgot: I included a new graphic for the Scotland Yard building in the older era's. A towering graphic from Woodelf. :)

Top Bottom