Graphics Issue

Carl5872

Prince
Not sure what the cause is, but my leader graphics are messed up. Some of the hair of most leaders is missing leaving a lot (including the women) looking partially bald.

Any idea how to fix?

Right-click on the game in your Steam library, select <Properties>, click on the <LOCAL FILES> tab, & then click on <VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES>. Again without knowing your hardware setup, and assuming you meet the minimum requirements, you could also try lowering your graphic settings to see if that helps.

Try disabling the leader animation and see if the graphics improve.

Not mutually exclusive. I have had this issue before on my PC. I have found it is (in my case) due to my GPU overheating. I did not adjust any other graphics setting, just disabled the leader animation. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

Right-click on the game in your Steam library, select <Properties>, click on the <LOCAL FILES> tab, & then click on <VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES>. Again without knowing your hardware setup, and assuming you meet the minimum requirements, you could also try lowering your graphic settings to see if that helps.
Tried verifying the integrity and Peter was still bald. Ill try lowering the graphics settings

Tried verifying the integrity and Peter was still bald. Ill try lowering the graphics settings
Hope you'll be able to solve the issue.
Not mutually exclusive. I have had this issue before on my PC. I have found it is (in my case) due to my GPU overheating. I did not adjust any other graphics setting, just disabled the leader animation. My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
The setting for Animated Leader Quality is part of the overall graphics settings. So it goes without saying that when I write "lowering your graphic settings", it includes lowering the Animated Leader Quality from High to either Medium, Low, or Disabled. This can either be done manually in game like all the other settings (i.e. piecemeal) or via a program like GeForce Experience, which changes the settings including Leader graphics, automatically via slider. So essentially what you wrote was rather redundant.

I remember seeing the leaders in perfect form a few months ago. I tried updated my graphics card and verifying the integrity of the game. Is there a way to tell if my computer is not strong enough to handle it?

Is this what you need? (thanks for your help by the way)

upload_2019-12-23_19-16-30.png
upload_2019-12-23_19-18-1.png
upload_2019-12-23_19-19-3.png
upload_2019-12-23_19-21-9.png

Your bottleneck is definitely your GPU. I don't know whether you have 2 or 4 GB VRAM with your 960M, but in one test site it pegged this as a failure to meet requirement. Another site suggested that it would be fine at low graphics settings and probably be OK at medium settings as well. Anything higher will cause issues.

You said that the leader graphics were fine previously. Are you running anything different now (i.e. Gathering Storm instead of Vanilla or Rise & Fall)? GS is more graphics intensive than the previous XP & base game.

When you said you tried to update the graphics card, what exactly did you do? Did you update the graphics drivers? Outdated or corrupt drivers can mess with your graphics.

Have you tried lowering your graphics settings as was previously suggested?

I did and it only showed complete leaders in the static lowest settings. I will try running it on low.

I am now running Gathering Storm, so maybe that (or one of the patches) was it.

I went to Nvidia's website and it had me download Geforce experience that detected my driver and updated it. Is there a better way you would recommend?

Is there anything I can do about my GPU, or am I stuck with it until I buy a new laptop?

You have the same driver version I do.
I did and it only showed complete leaders in the static lowest settings. I will try running it on low.
If you're only getting leaders with no graphic anomalies when the leader animation is disabled then it's likely your GPU is insufficient. You'll just have to play around with the graphics settings to get the best results.
I am now running Gathering Storm,
If you weren't running GS before and the animated leaders were fine, it's likely as I said before that your GPU can't handle the increased demand from that expansion. Or, at least the enhancements FXS made to the leader quality with GS.
I went to Nvidia's website and it had me download Geforce experience that detected my driver and updated it. Is there a better way you would recommend?
Generally, that's the best way, or rather easiest way to do it. Occasionally though you get a corrupted driver and need to completely erase all Nvidia's files and do a clean reinstall manually. If you're not having any other display issues though that's probably not the case.
Is there anything I can do about my GPU, or am I stuck with it until I buy a new laptop?
Upgrading the GPU in a laptop is generally not possible as they're integrated with the motherboard or CPU and not removable. Oftentimes, opening up your laptop will also void your warranty as well. Desktop PC's offer infinitely more options for upgrading though I realize that's not always practical for everyone. I've upgraded pretty much every component of my PC multiple times over the past six years.

I have this issue and its not like I can't run it at high settings and I am. I have looked at other sites that have benchmarks for my card for this game on Ultra and it still got good FPS. However no matter what graphic changes I make, cant make the hair work right like it use to. I have not played in awhile so this might be related to a update.

btw- checked "INTEGRITY"... had no effect.

PC Info :
CPU :
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory : G.Skill 4096 MB PC3-10700 (667 MHz) (x4 slots for a total of 16GB)
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Hard Drive #1 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB (OS and programs)
Hard Drive #2 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB (Dedicated Steam games)
Hard Drive #3 : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB (Other games)
Hard Drive #4 : WDC WD5001FZWX-00ZHUA0 - SATA 5TB (for storage)
Video : Radeon (TM) RX 470 - 4095 MB
Windows Version : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Build 18363)
DirectX Version : 12.0
Power Supply : 1000W

Last edited:
Top Bottom