1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GUIDE] Map scripts

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by tu_79, Oct 2, 2018.

1. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Just as a little note: Venezuela is a tropical country and has the largest known Oil reserves; other large reserves are located where forests used to be many millions of years ago but aren't anymore (see some of the Arab countries); Russia also has large Oil reserves and there the latitudes are again very different.
    Since it seems that most Oil was generated from trees that lived 100s of millions of years ago, which is a time span that is large enough for plate tectonics to change entire continental shapes and locations, as well as climatic effects to change entire landscapes, it's not really that simple to make a rule about where the Oil should be.

/smart-ass out

2. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un Chieftain Supporter

I understand there is specific execution behind the island formation, but there were a few instances I saw in testing that were just flat out crazy. It's not enough evidence from just a couple games, so I'll give it another shot.

Thank you though, for tending to my nitpicking, and I look forward to having the resource issue addressed in the future! Will boot up a few games later to have a look at the tweaks and let you know.

3. JMA2286

JMA2286 Chieftain

Not saying there would be no oil at all in the tropics, just that it would be in small pockets, like an odd Venezuela, Nigeria, etc. The subtropic and boreal climates are where the clear majority of oil is on Earth though, so it's a safe rule to make.

4. civplayer33

civplayer33 Chieftain

Yes, but it's not a huge majority; about half the countries in the top 15 proven oil reserves are not subtropical. I just hope that Oil isn't going to be clustered around certain latitudes too extremely.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    vyyt likes this.
  5. MorphBer

MorphBer Chieftain

Stupid question incoming: so right now I replace the original Communitas file in the VP maps folder with this right? Is tehre a way to add it to the maps (by calling it communitas+ or something)

6. JMA2286

JMA2286 Chieftain

It won't be too heavy, probably 70% subtropical and boreal, 30% tropical and temperate.

7. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

I've tweaked your map settings to this, and finally I got a game where I could settle 8 progress cities (I was faster than my neighbours):

Code:
        mglobal.hillsBlendPercent        = 0.75 -- Chance for flat land to become hills per near mountain. Requires at least 2 near mountains. Default 0.45 (I like more hills near mountains)
        mglobal.coastScatter            = 0.06     --Recommended range:[0.01 to 0.3] Default 0.09
                                                --Higher values result in more islands and variance on landmasses and coastlines. (Having a bit less islands increases settling room in continents
        mglobal.riverRainCheatFactor    = 2.00    -- Values greater than one favor watershed size. Values less than one favor actual rain amount. Default 1.25 (There were too many small rivers)
        mglobal.fishTargetFertility        = 80    -- fish appear to create this average city fertility Default 60 (Still very few fishes)

[GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD.ID] = {99, 65},

KaoticKanine, vyyt and Kim Dong Un like this.
  8. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un Chieftain Supporter

Thanks Tu! Will try it out later.

9. doublex55

doublex55 Chieftain

Any update for resource distribution?

10. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

@doublex55 As in this?

11. black213

black213 Chieftain

I think he refers to Communitas' very generous (other than fish) resource distribution.

ryanmusante likes this.
  12. Rekk

Rekk Chieftain

Even sparse communitas has more resources than a standard game (aside from fish).

13. MorphBer

MorphBer Chieftain

I tried this and there were alot of Mountains and deserts so there was very little space to settle. Only 1 try though and sweden and mongolia next to me (Austria) so I quickly abandoned that game.