Gunships

R82

Chieftain
Different question: is there any good introduction to helicopter combat anywhere? How, exactly, do the mechanics work? I don't think I've ever actually seen it, because it arrives so late in the game that at that stage, I'm usually completely focused on the space race and only built military units for deterrence purposes. So, how do helicopters interact with ground units, and how do they interact with regular air units?

Helicopter type units, which is exclusively Gunships, as far as I know don't have any special mechanics specific to their unit type. Gunships themselves have a long-ish list of abilities/restrictions unique to them that's listed in their unit abilities, same as usual, but those don'tnecessarily apply to other Helicopter type units...if they existed. The Helicopter unit type is, as far as I know, mainly to give them a different unit type for combat bonus purposes, similarly to how Machine Guns are technically Siege units like catapults, trebuchets and cannons instead of Gunpowder units, which would make them more susceptible to Pinch/Redcoats/etc.

If you're asking about airplane combat mechanics, I'm afraid I also have little familiarity with them. Henrik did do a "flight rush" series at one point, though I've not watched it myself, so I'm not sure how much it goes into details about flight combat mechanics, etc.

Reactions: R82
Gunships count as "mounted" units, so any unit with a bounus against mounted units, such as cavalry, have the same bonus against gunships. On the positive side, they have a large bonus versus tanks and modern armor, so they are much better anti-tank units than the ground based anti-tank soldier unit.

They also have a 4 tile movement range, which gains bonuses in movement on roads and railroads.

They cannot capture workers. If they move onto a tile with any enemy workers, the workers are destroyed.

Although they cannot get medic promos, if you upgrade a horse riding medic unit to a gunship, it keeps all its medic bonuses. So, by gettting, for example a cavalry unit, to medic 3 and then upgrading it to a gunship, you end up with a medic that can stay in a captured city to heal damaged assault uniits rapidly and then quickly overtake the main stack.

I always include a couple of combat promoted gunships with stacks of city raider tanks or modern armor. Any of the enemy gunships that attack the stack will face my gunships instead of my tanks.

They cannot capture cities. They can attack and destroy defending units but cannot move into the city until after a ground unit has done so and captured the city. Sometimes I will use them to kill the last few defenders and them move, perhaps the only ground unit unused in the stack, into the city, which then has no defenders, thereby capturing it. Then the gunships which still have moves left, due to their 4 tile movement factor, can move in and help defend against any counter attack.

They interact with non-gunship air units the same way as tanks, infantry, etc. In short, they cannot damage those units and are subject to the same damage as any other ground unit.

Gunships count as "mounted" units
They don't seem to? The Sevopedia lists them as Helicopter units, and Cossacks don't seem to get any bonus against them. Cavalry do upgrade into gunships, though that should update their unit type correctly as far as I know.

They don't seem to? The Sevopedia lists them as Helicopter units, and Cossacks don't seem to get any bonus against them. Cavalry do upgrade into gunships, though that should update their unit type correctly as far as I know.
I use a lot of gunships. Whenever they attack a unit with the 25% mounted bonus, they have much worse odds than otherwise. I can't comment about the cossacks, as I hae never happened to use gunships against cossacks.

There is not a lot special with gunships. They can't capture cities, deal flanking damage to modern artillery units, get a bonus vs tanks/modern armor and have 4 movement. In SP they are mostly useful to pick off errant modern armor or mobile artillery the AI tends to have in late game wars, often without exposing the gunships because they are so fast. Use sam infantry (or mobile sam/mechanized infantry) to defend your stack against them. AI likes to spam them.

One funny thing is that they move 12 tiles inside your own territory because they are faster taking the road (4*3=12) than anything else using the railroad (10).

Gunships taking roads. Yeah, I can see how that'll be faster than flying. Lol.
Because they fly so low, they don't get "flying" fuel usage but only car so can go much further with same amount of fuel. :coffee:

Moderator Action: Moved topic to its own thread. cheers- lymond

They seem to function as a hybrid of a cavalry unit and flying unit.

Lots of movement, can pillage or snipe and then run away. Groups of gunships are great for picking off tanks in a stack if you do some damage to the Intercept units first with collateral or sending actual planes first to soften them out of rotation/into kill range. They can hammer the arty too once this happens, making them great at cutting the teeth out of a AI stack when their tanks and arty are dropping like flies.

They can also act as decent roadblocks to enemy pillagers and tanks, as they beat tanks pretty handily in the field and you can theoretically get them earlier than better hard counters like Mobile SAM.

Comes with the caveat of not being able to actually take cities. Haven't used them much at all, but they seem to fill a role sorta similar to guided missiles in targeted elimination abusing their mobility and power. Typically I just go more tanks and start to add Spies, throw in Rocketry for SAMs next if the AI is being super annoying with the bombers/gunships on the way to their cities.

Top Bottom