Handy 20 Grumpy Old Men give Always War Deity Standard Pangaea a try

handy900

Deity
Fresh off a win @ AWD Continents , the grumpy old men of war step it up a notch [maybe several notches] to a regular sized Pangaea :wow: map. :hmm: I don't think this has ever been done.

C3C 1.22 Patch
Level: Deity
Variant: Always War :hammer:
Map Type: Pangaea
Size: Standard

Each player can roll some starts and we'll vote on the one we want to play.
Civilization: Player Choice [Prefer agricultural]
Temperature: Player Choice
Climate: Player Choice
Barbarians: Player Choice
Rivals: Player Choice
AI Aggression: Player Choice

Victory Condition:All enabled
Culturally linked starts: Off
Respawn: Off
Preserve Random Seed: On
Cultural Conversion: On

Roster
1. Handy
2. ThERat
3. Greebley
4. Bede
5. M60A3TTS
6. Obormot
7. Sir Bugsy

Always War Boilerplate as we play it.
You may only trade when you first meet a civilization, and must declare war on the same turn after trading is complete. If you see a new AI unit, you must make contact & declare war that turn. Absolutely no GPT trades allowed. If you see a new face on F4, you are obligated to declare war that turn (after trading). Players must declare war if they are exploring and see AI units, but are not required to actually attack the units they come in contact with. No peace treaties, ever. You may check F4 as often as you like to spy on the AI's tech, resources, luxuries & city count.

Discuss any move that seems exploitive before doing it with the team. Although there are not too many exploits available in AW, we’ll follow the forbidden blatant exploits banned by GOTM and RBCiv such as no "Free Wealth". Other normal game exploits such as "Baiting the AI" with an empty city to create a kill zone are an AW tradition and are allowed. Also, you ARE allowed to initially keep a city, move a settler to the same spot as the city, and then abandon and immediately resettle. This is considered an exploit in RBCiv rules, but is okay in our AW games. In addition if you need to build a city one square deeper into enemy territory just to move borders to steal a resource, go for it. We may keep or raze cities, and can keep slaves. You may whip at will, including captured cities or cities where all citizens are unhappy.

SG Stuff
You have 24 hours for an "I got it" and 72 to play. If you need a one day extension, then mention this before the 72 hours are up. Players can work out skips between themselves, just post a message to the thread. If you can't play within 72 total, switch places or ask for a skip. We will play 10 turns at first, and possibly fewer later (5) if the turns begin to take too long.

Lucky candle to light the way.

checking in: lighting the candle

took Sumer as suggested (rest can see from screenie)
the AI is randomly selected (see below)

my start, played 20 turns went for masonry due in 6
juicy land with incense, many hills+ mountains for iron, forrest to chop
currently 2 workers and 2 EW

Nice and juicy indeed, TRat.

Will roll one out tonight.

You guys need a really good start for this game. I wouldn't go for a start near a jungle, but maybe I am underestemating you all.

Good luck. :)

I rolled a start after a couple of tries and it looks pretty good. I played 50 turns.

We had 3 cows at the start and i concentrated on growth in the very early game not building barracks, but just settlers and regular enkidus. I decided that it will be better in the long run because regular enkidus can protect us well enough in the early game and barracks slow down expansion too much. I didn't build granaries too, because the start was very food rich and i needed enkidus to protect new towns. Later i built some barracks and walls too and started a GL prebuild in Sumer.

Very soon i saw pink borders in the east, but we still have no contact with the pink people. According to F10 they are propably incas.

I had a war though, iroquois warrior came from the south and i declared. I built walls in Kish and our enkidus slaughtered something like 20 iroquois warriors, we lost 1 enkidu.

Now we have 8 towns, 4 workers (should build more), 15 enkidus (7-reg, 7-vet, 1-elite), we discovered masonry and alphabet, writing is due in 3 turns and the prebuild already has some shields collected.

lurker's comment: The expansion in 50 turns is quite impressive even without AW.

:hatsoff:impressive start

8 towns after 50 turns :eek: I think we should just stick with that and continue.

Three cows, a hunting preserve, lots of rivers, mountains and hills for iron when we find it. Don't think it gets much better than this.

And a very impressive opening, well played.

lurker's comment: I generated >30,000 maps with Mapfinder and found that 3 cows, on grassland with a river, with no jungle, desert, swamps, or ocean tiles, at a mid-latitude, with good shields (multiple BGs and hills), and good city locations on all sides was at least a 1-in-10000 occurence. Nice find.

We need to take Obormot's start. That is as good as the start we had in Sid Vicious. If there are no complaints, I'll grab the save later tonight and play.

If there are no complaints, I'll grab the save later tonight and play.
go ahead and play. If we cannot win with this type of start, it's our own fault.
By the way, the fact that we share the land with everyone makes one issue much easier. That is pillaging. That will be really powerful.

lurker's comment: I generated >30,000 maps with Mapfinder and found that 3 cows, on grassland with a river, with no jungle, desert, swamps, or ocean tiles, at a mid-latitude, with good shields (multiple BGs and hills), and good city locations on all sides was at least a 1-in-10000 occurence. Nice find.
That means that i'm a lucky man :D I didn't use MapFinder and that was about 5th or 6th start i rolled :)

Top Bottom