Handy 21 Regular Pangaea AWD again

Looks like we have two nice chokes south of Paris and Rouen.

pre-flight
- Everything looks good, do only some minor changes.

960AD
- Get a leader in the kill zone. Make a 3 cav army so that we can bring transport it to the viking island. I think we have more units at the old choke then it is needed now since the AI are already weakened, so i send some cavs to the front.
- Capture Marseiles, decide to keep it because of the Great Lighthouse. It might turn out to be usefull.
- Loose an almost healed cav army attacking a rifle in Braga.

970AD
- Build a coal colony in the jungle. This way we can get it online one turn earlier. Started building a railroad to the front.
- Raze Braga and reveal a floodplain wheat tile :lol:.

IBT
- Orlean flips and we loose Bach's and insence. A city riots, i scroll to prevent riots in other cities.

980AD
- Recapture Orleans.

990AD
- Capture Lyons and keep it for Sun-Tzu's, kill many defenders in Paris.
- Workers continue building railroad through the jungle, settle some fort cities along the railroad.
- The old chokepoint and kill zone is not active now as the AI attack our newly captured cities, so i move most of the units there leaving just the old armies and some muskets.

1000AD
- Raze Paris. There is a nice choke near it that separates Roman peninsula from the rest of the pangaea.

1010AD
- There are many roman units in former France, but the railroad is complete and all of our cannons have been moved to the front so i clear them all out easily. I also got another leader-> 3cav army.
- Raze Rennes and Emerita.

1020AD
- Electricity->RP in 7.
- Raze Rouen and now the chokepoint is under our control. Settle 2 cities on hills there.

1030AD
- Raze Sagres.

1040AD
- Raze Tours (beyond the choke), but a knigth army is damaged badly and will propably get killed. But we can see viking borders beyong the choke. It may be that the vikings are not on an island, btu on the peninsula.

IBT
- The army is killed by viking knights and there were quite many of them, so it does look like the vikings are not on an island. They also capture one of our newly founded cities in France with a berserker, but that city was not important any more.

- Raze Guimarres and Leiria.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Handy21_1050AD.SAV

By the way, I found the Javelin army sitting in some random city not on the front. Remember that army is a constant supply of workers. It is NOT a useless old army Keep it on the front.

We would have been building rails a bit faster if we had kept it on the front. The game isn't going to last that much longer so its not a big deal, but it is a good habit to get into.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Handy21_1120_AD.SAV

Pre-turn: Spend 4,152 gold to rush temples and settlers.

IBT- Portugal wants to talk. Not likely.

Turn 1 (1060AD) Redlined Roman cav. Oporto razed by cav army. Killed rifle, pike, LB. Kill 3 rifles in Lisbon. Portugese rifle, pike dead.

IBT- Portugese rifle kills cav and captures some cannons.

Turn 2 (1070AD) Kill 4 rifles and capture Lisbon with Colossus. Get the cannons back. Kill 2 single Portugese rifles. Portugese cav and medieval inf by Eastern Shores. Ameins captured. 2 rifles and a LB with 1394 gold. Burned. Rifle killed at Sao Paulo. Portugese LB dies. Kill French rifle on their salt colony.

IBT- Port LB dies attacking cav and another two kill two of our cav and capture more cannons. Vikes send large SoD at New Cuello.

Turn 3 (1080AD) Stop counting kills. Destroy the Viking SoD.

IBT- Quiet.

Turn 4 (1090AD) Capture the last three Portugese towns and a settler pair. Henry says goodnight, and three to go. :p

IBT- Get second Viking SoD. We get some major culture expansion.

Turn 5 (1100AD) Settle a bunch more places and rail a lot. Destroy more Viking hordes with ease. :)

IBT- Quiet.

Turn 6 (1110AD) Armies at New Cuello storm south and take Tarentum. Head for Chartres, the final holdout of our French foe.

IBT- More culture expansion.

Turn 7 (1120AD) Chartres falls. 4587 gold si vous plait. French are gone. :dance: We are at the domination limit. Capture Lugdunum, Viroconium, Hispalis, Ravenna, Neapolis, Veii, and then Rome itself. Summon forth the Jaguar Warrior army that fortifies in the ancient city.

IBT- A couple Viking ships sail into oblivion...

Turn 8 (1130AD) Builds finish, and let the word go forth…

Really, really, great!!!

Fantastic story!

Congrats guys :cool: What a great game! :goodjob:
After my first and my second turnsets i thought that we are (almost) toast, but we made it despite having such a wide front and no iron for quite some time!

Sad that this is the last civ3 high level AW game

Is it really last? ;) I think after playing some civ4 we might play a game or two of civ3 after several month :rolleyes:. Well, maybe i say so just because civ4 is not running for me yet :cry:

Absolutely fantastic guys! Despite my recent registering date I've been following the SGs here (especially the Handy, GR and LK series) for many months already and this has certainly been one of the most exciting games. I was optimistic after Obormot's first turns but then I saw the screenshot which had half the towns with no defenders at all :crazyeye: ;) I couldn't believe you would survive the next 10 turns after that let alone be able to come anywhere near winning.

:goodjob:

unbelievable how fast we won in the end. I remember handy's last turns, he almost wanted to give up... :goodjob:

I think Obormot's strategy to expand at all costs leaving half of our empire empty was the key to success at this level. If we would have played more cautious, we would have lost.

Now, what's left? We even beat deity standard pangaea...

By the way the score is very impressive with 10000+, and it's an AW game where scores tend to be lower

I think Obormot's strategy to expand at all costs leaving half of our empire empty was the key to success at this level. If we would have played more cautious, we would have lost.
Maybe you are right about expansion, but i am still not still nearly as good at AW military tactics as you guys :goodjob:

Now, what's left? We even beat deity standard pangaea...
Sid?.. :confused: :eek: :twitch:

Congratulations, guys! Well done!!! :goodjob:

I've followed several of your games. I hope this isn't the last, since Civ4 games aren't nearly so interesting to read IMO. I'll look forward to your first Sid AW win. :D

I think sid small continents or deity large continents would be doable. Standard pangaea Deity is harder militarily than large continents (bigger front and more opponents early on), but large continents has a much bigger risk of losing by culture or UN, and requires an uber fast continent clearing, or even sending a pillager army over centuries before the continent is under control. Sid small continents probably has the same culture/UN risk as D large continents due to, uh, it being sid.

Just my 0.02 :) .

Well we have known that to keep expanding is the key. This game we were able to do it and I think we were all pushing our upmost even if it meant very thin defense so kudo's to the whole team (new and old). It was a great game, IMO.

I don't remember who was asking why one would play the Mayans, well the results of this game does show they are strong. I think the reason is fairly subtle - the early worker supply keeps ones cities slightly bigger (less workers built) and slightly better improved than they would be otherwise that provides a benefit that slowly grows as you capture more workers. Having a stronger military earlier allows one to make progress and lessens the chance of stalling. They also have the very strong Agricultural trait.

Deity (and Demigod and emporer) still have gameplay. We could move up, I suppose, but we rolled a lot of starts for this game. I would rather go the other way - for example, demi-god with "the first rolled start (that last 50 turns)" could be tougher than this game.

Top Bottom