Happiness Balance Discussion

Is it no longer the case for revolts that you can crush the revolters? A warmonger should see it as a distraction, nothing more.

That's only with CS, or mild cases provoked by spies. We're talking about the countdown revolt, which results in a flip after x number of warnings. (I say x because the game never seems to be adding correctly to me.)

That's only with CS, or mild cases provoked by spies. We're talking about the countdown revolt, which results in a flip after x number of warnings. (I say x because the game never seems to be adding correctly to me.)
Oh. This never happened to me. Last time I had a city revolting, a few revels appeared in the city and I had to kill them or else the city would secede.

This is partially accounted for with Dictatorship of the Proletariat, but yeah. Do you generally find that wide Order/Autocracy empires are happier than tall Freedom empires?
Theoretically, you are able to play all 3 types as tall or as wide. It makes obviosly not that much sense to play tall as Autocracy, cause it lives from conquering cities, but its possible if you get vassals by only slaugthering enemy units and capturing capitals. So it should be equal in that way.
But it will be hard per definition to be happier with Order or Autocracy empires, cause, imbalanced like Freedom is, it can increase the happiness in each city by 4. Order is only able to rise the happiness by 2 and Autocracy by 1.
Its questionable why freedom should be per definition lead to more happy people. A 10 city freedom empire will have alone by picking freedom 30 more happiness, than a Autocracy empire. Even if both are peaceful the whole game.

I agree with Stalker0 that revolt has become a punishment for being punished... but I like the idea of revolt. (I wish we still had civil war.) For me revolt should be the consequence for ignoring repeated warnings (like it is now), but in a system where I have more agency. This is what you're working on now, so I'd go with your proposal for revolt, and see if it no longer feels too punitive.

Txurce, I can see this. Maybe we can use the Event System for this. My city goes into revolt, and it triggers an event that gives me a few options.

1) Crush: Kill half the pop (or 1/4 or something).
2) Make it a puppet (meaning I can try to annex it again later).
3) Bread and Circuses: Pay 1000 gold for +5 happy for 10 turns (or something).

This is something I could work with. A revolt is just another choice for me to deal with, the agency you referred to. None of these choices are great, but its a lot more manageable to me than my city gets tossed.

Ideologial pressure has the flaw that it always tend to go freedom. Tourismn is the key factor for ideological pressure, and the civs which excel in this area are in most cases picking freedom.
It doesnt make that much sense, that my Order/Autocracy population might be happier than the Freedom empire, but my people are getting sad after visiting that less happy freedom empire or watching terrible bad/sad movies from that country.
your criticism sounds like it could be allayed entirely by my proposal for how ideology pressure might be redone to affect cities individually

your criticism sounds like it could be allayed entirely by my proposal for how ideology pressure might be redone to affect cities individually
I dont know. I cant remember when I was forced to switch my ideology cause of ideological pressure. For me, its a relative useless mechanic which didnt add anything to the gameplay, it simply exists. I could easily live without it.

For more realismn, you would need to compare the general happiness of the empires with each other, and then give those with low happiness even more unhappines, cause those poor people see in other ideologies a solution to their bad situation. It would create a positive loop, which would decrease the happiness in low happiness empires even more till they are forced to switch the ideology. Making an immidiatly working on your happiness necessary, before its too late, like it happened in the former soviet states. But I didnt think people and me wants this, even it has its real roots in history.

Writing this brings me to an other solution for the ideological pressure in the new system.
What is, if we add a global median for happiness, and after picking an ideology, you get bonuses or penalties by beeing under or over the median? Beeing happier than the median gives you a tourismn modificator to others, beeing under it a penalty. Beeing over it could also give other benefits, like a boost to growth for the whole empire or increased combat ability?

Writing this brings me to an other solution for the ideological pressure in the new system.
What is, if we add a global median for happiness, and after picking an ideology, you get bonuses or penalties by beeing under or over the median? Beeing happier than the median gives you a tourismn modificator to others, beeing under it a penalty. Beeing over it could also give other benefits, like a boost to growth for the whole empire or increased combat ability?
i would defer to G as to whether that is possible, but that seems like a decent solution. Basically you get the standard -25% for different ideology, but that modifier is wiped out if your empire is unhappy while the opposing ideology’s empires aren’t.

The entire happiness being local will be interesting. And probably nuts. I am very sceptical about the change but I hope for the best.

When you say it won't be easy to understand, do you mean from the perspective of a mechanic, or of a driver?
A player. Just look at long tooltips sumarizing where each happiness point come from, and show it in the already cramped city tooltip. You will need to show empire global happiness from policies, religion, city states and luxuries, and then explain in the city tooltip that this city receives 1/N of that happiness, because you have N cities.

It solves the single biggest issue since day 1 of civ 5 which is scalability.

I love the taste of game-transforming changes in my monthly version. :smoke:
I'm happy I've not begun the Alternative Leaders for VP modmod : with the amount of changes happening right now, it would have been beyond frustrating, for someone with as little skill in coding as me, to see that amount of game modifications.
I'll wait the end of the earthquake. :crazyeye:

Whatever the results of these changes, thanks once more Gazebo for putting so much efforts, again and again, in VP. It's so interesting to follow the evolution of this piece of craft. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom