Happy Christmas to all at SL!

You know, some of the giants are gone, but the people who remain were there in some cases from the beginning and interacted with Harlan, Nemo, Alex, Allard, Agricola, Sun Tzu, Jesus, Kobayashi, Case, Daumen, Jeszenka, Eyn, Eivind, Blackclove, and many, many more.

I for one, would be extremely interested to see your youtube channel start interviewing those of us who are left, as most of us knew these guys, remember the community, remember what these scenarios you're working so hard to save meant from a design perspective. Most of us have read Harlan and Leon's treatise on scenario development, or could tell you what Red Front meant to them. Many of us had emails back and forth with Alex trying to convince him to stop trying to charge us for his work lol. Many of us remember the scenario design contests, or unique scenarios like "Slash and Burn" by Schlectma or "The Odyssey" by (name evades me).

I think it would be really cool to get to listen to my peers' thoughts on this game and I also think it would be cool to also talk to you and nerd it up about all of this. You're basically the person who preserves our history at this point and preserving the oral record could be part of that, if you so chose.

That's a cool idea although I'm not sure if I'm the guy for that haha. I've never interviewed anyone and I wouldn't have a clue what to ask haha. Plus my channel is normally just covering a cool game or more so mod for a game and me talking in the background about how cool said mod is and why people should support it etc. and I'm not normally slapping my face or anyone else's on the screen. Still, all that being said for each Civ game main episode I also do bonus episodes covering special extra content so maybe something like that would be a good idea to consider for a bonus ep to my Civ2 video stuff. Who used to do the interviews for the SL newsletter? Whoever that was clearly knows how to interview people and not ask dumb questions haha!

I should also say that @CivPartisan John Valdez is another Civ2 modding celebrity I really wish would come back as he made so many awesome mods back in the day and some of his ideas matched my ideas for mods (hence why I've picked up some of his projects to try and finish myself) so I'd love to talk to him about it all. He also had a great Civ2 website with lots of other peoples scenarios on it and in his links section he had a link to my old 1998 unreleased Star Wars scenario website making him probably the only person to ever find my little page and link to it haha, so I wish I could thank him for that lol. Similar to Catfish, John was still lurking here when I joined CFC but back in those first couple of years I didn't know who he was yet sadly!

OMG! Would you friggin believe that within a few weeks of me posting the above message the number 1 guy on my MIA wishlist @CivPartisan John Valdez has returned to CFC! He's written on my profile wall and has replied to the PM's I sent him a year or so ago! This is so cool as he's created so many great things I loved and inspired a lot of my modding work. The extra good news is he's still actively working on his Mars 2 and SMAC Civ2 mod projects along with some others too!! Might offer him my help with the SMAC one if he wants any (even though I'm already overloaded with too many unreleased mod projects haha). It's my 41st birthday on the 26th this week so I'm gonna take this wish being granted as a nice early present from the universe haha. :)

Last edited:
That's a cool idea although I'm not sure if I'm the guy for that haha. I've never interviewed anyone and I wouldn't have a clue what to ask haha. Plus my channel is normally just covering a cool game or more so mod for a game and me talking in the background about how cool said mod is and why people should support it etc. and I'm not normally slapping my face or anyone else's on the screen. Still, all that being said for each Civ game main episode I also do bonus episodes covering special extra content so maybe something like that would be a good idea to consider for a bonus ep to my Civ2 video stuff. Who used to do the interviews for the SL newsletter? Whoever that was clearly knows how to interview people and not ask dumb questions haha!

I mean maybe just do a livestream as some creators do and record it. It doesn't really need to be an interview just a discussion. You're certainly a major player here - you know a lot of the scenarios. Just pretend you finally found someone in real life that you could talk about Civ with and talk lol. But hey, if you think about it in the future, it would be cool!

Curt, you are more than deserving. As ranking geezer of SL, it is my honour to present you with this Golden Fleece for your decades of producing excellent scenarios and for your many contributions to our community. Congratulations!

Golden Fleece.png

Merry Christmas everyone! It was another great year for scenarios and Civ2! Hope 2023 is prosperous and healthy and productive for us all!

Merry Christmas, all (well Boxing Day, except for our American and Continental European friends). ;)

The Odyssey was by Kull (Paul Cullivan), who also produced some fabulous ancient scenarios - Age of Empires 1200 BC -End of the Bronze Age, and Age of Empires 3500 BC -Seeds of Greatness. They are all really good, and the last two are excellent for multi-player games.
Where (if anywhere standing) would I find these three scenarios - even if they may only be in FW or MGE versions?

Happy New Year! :splat:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

She's emerged from the Black Pit of OT. I hope after a decontamination shower and fresh clothes - and a Febreze spraying - first. :p

Happy New Year, Erika, and everyone else!

Top Bottom