Hard Drives playing silly buggers!

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
A few days ago Windows10 prompted me to change my password as it does periodically.

Having done this, everything saved on my desktop vanished, along with internet settings etc.

When looking at the harddrives on my computer.. my SSD doesn't seem to be in charge any more.. and another hard drive is.. one that seems to have reverted to an earlier version of itself!!!

What the hell is going on and is it possible to reverse this? The SSD still seems accessable. The HD that seems to have reverted is just wierd.. it was a backup/storage HD that I nicked from a TV recording box. I deleted all its partitions, reformatted etc. This was MONTHS ago.. how has it suddenly reverted.

1690192295425.png

Partition G, Windows7_OS, Lenovo_Recovery, SYSTEM_DRV shouldn't exist.. and the SSD should be in charge!

Oh I should add boot times, and general performance is terrible since nothing seems to be running as it should.

For the record step 1 sent me into a loop of blue screen death.

I've pulled all the secondary HD's and connected my SSD to 1st.. and everything is amazing again. Seemingly something caused WindoZe to boost from one of them rather than the HD. Now to slowly add back and work out why!!

Hey dude. It was the oddest thing. Slowly adding back the Hard Drives sorted everything.

I think somehow one of the HDs had reverted to an older version of itself (from when connected to another PC).. but also taken over OS duties for my current PC. Now it is back as it should be!

I don't suppose you know of a program/method which will methodically fully delete and overwrite the whole HD so it can't do it again? Clearly all the old files were still there!!

Sorry, I do not know of a program that would do that. :hmm:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Maybe you should consider removing the old copy of the operating system from a secondary drive? Than it cannot revert... :mischief:

I don't suppose you know of a program/method which will methodically fully delete and overwrite the whole HD so it can't do it again?
BleachBit will do that for you. It's the "Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files" feature that you are looking for. Though it can also be useful for securely deleting individual files.

BleachBit will do that for you. It's the "Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files" feature that you are looking for. Though it can also be useful for securely deleting individual files.

Awesome thank you!

Top Bottom