1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting resources

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by mrwho, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Democracy reduce all purchase cost by 25% in Rise and Fall which should include purchasing district as well as great people.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Well, you cannot normally purchase districts but it would be nice if it reduces Reyneas cost.

3. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Chieftain

Harvesting is really strong, which I learnt it from this forum.

I used to build districts on top of these bonus resources, now I value them more and plan more carefully and harvesting early to make tiles available for districts if feasible.

4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I'm also still learning the benefits of harvesting. Do you ever harvest wheat or rice? I did in a recent game to get a city I settled mid game to jump in growth, but I was torn if it was the right decision or not.

I still am reluctant to ever harvest resources, but maybe (probably) I should be. For some reason I feel guilty destroying my stone or copper and I worry my city will need it later on, even though these resources don't provide much benefit anymore (I'm used to previous iterations where they were more valuable). I'll chop my forests and jungles though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

You should always harvest everything because all resources looks ugly. Main benefit of that is that map looks much more beatiful without them

6. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I find that I'll rarely harvest wheat or rice, but more because I don't tend to feel the need for growth boosts too often. If the city has a watermill, then wheat/rice are worth 2 food per turn, so as always, it's whether 2 food per turn is worth more than 1 builder charge + a bonanza of food once.
    To me, I'll always harvest hill stone, because I can just go mine it afterwards and it gives me basically as good yields, so that's well worth the production. Copper, I tend to leave, because I find the gold isn't nearly as valuable - while the gold you get from the chop might be more than 1/4 of the gold I'd spend to build the builder, that's not enough return on a chop to really be worth it, unless if I actually have a game where I am builder more builders than I need. The exception is if you have Goddess of the Harvest, where you're then chopping copper (or crabs) not for the gold, but for the faith.

Disagree - I like resources on my map. As long as they don't stop me from having beautiful organization of my empire. That said, having a nice clearcut map is a kind of beauty in its own way.

7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Me too, ideally.
    But when you have Genghis, Tomyris and Shaka as neighbours those meticulously drawn
    plans sometimes get lost, burned, or covered in blood.

8. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Chieftain

Then use the chops to boost military :)