Has anyone seen a good "how I won with Mehmet" into the res?

rw42

Chieftain
I have read really good reports posted about player strategy in many of the achievements. The last was by analysismike on the yolk is on the Mongols. Can anyone point me to a good thread on the Mehmet one. There are great threads, but many get to divergent quickly. Hopefully....

I'm currently in the lead with the Turks. Haven't finished the game yet, but have had a very easy time so far. Holding Jerusalem, Mecca (captured around t10 and t15) and Constantinople (t120ish). Had to endure an early surge from Saladin on Jerusalem but aside from that no major troubles. Wish I had gone for Constantinople earlier. Theodora had around 20 Dromons around there, but not many land units. The dromons were easily dealt with by CBM and Gallegas. Close to finishing the tech tree and the religion benfits from Mecca and Mosques in all cities has allowed me to grab alot of policies.

On deity? I was fending of saladin right of the get go, he took Jeusalem, and attacked my cap before I pushed him back and got both holy cities and his cap. And it took over 100 turns to do all that, much faster just to get holy cities.

Anyway as far as mehmet achievement and strat:

Get Jerusalem and Mecca, Cairo is optional you don't really need it but pyramids and liberty make for handy combat engineers. I always open with liberty, and settle towards Byz. They like to go into Balkans, and you can get very far into Asia minor to set up a base. Once you have dealt with Saladin and took holy cities work on Byz, the cap is hard to get, it helps to have black sea navy (privateers to make bigger navy, rush bought every turn once you have a coastal city with barrack and armory. ) Genghis will settle north coast of turkey so just take his cities, you can hold him off in the caucasus easily. Get oe coastal city at least near starting location to take advantage of UA and once you take Caonstantinople just keep rolling for mad VPs.

No I'm only doing emperor. I got taught a lesson trying the Russians first, so I thought it would be a good idea to step down to emperor.

I tried a few starts. What I found was that Saladin attacks Jerusalem early every time, so you need to be quick to get it before him. Maybe that is not possible on Deity? In my first game I waited a few turns too long to take it and Saladin grabbed it and came after me immediately.

So for my proper start my 1st build was a catapult on production focus and I attacked as soon as it was done and got another one a few turns later from a city I founded close to Jerusalem. 2 catapults and the swordsman was all it took to grab both holy cities and I also got their workers. I had to build quite a few units to defend against Saladin though. I annexed Jerusalmen asap and got walls there too.

I don't know what start you had, but I had wine and iron and I noticed that I got wine up 1 turn before Saladin, so I traded him both the iron & wine. Bit of an exploit, as he had wine in his territory about to be hooked up, but it was needed.

After that I founded lots of cities (liberty) and let my cities grow while I focused on science and production building. Went civil service and education. Got the NC up very early. From what you say I guess I could have really pushed on. Now my production is insane though.. I have a ton off Janissaries and also got a lot of frigates with great promotions. I can build 1 frigs every 2nd turn from my 2 costal cities and building around 1-2 Jans every turn, but the VP-points from the holy cities and the science lead has just made me a bit too comfortable I guess. I think I'm gonna push on though, because it has become somewhat boring.

These last two post were pretty helpful. Did you do the historical map? Sounds like it due to the geography references. On deity the worker and SW look very lonesome. I did
Liberty for production and worker so I could get NC quick and cheap. Also did civil service res first. I had tried the random Europe after both Theo and Saladin sandwiched me early on historical. I'm going to retry the historical with the catapults. and see how that works. Thanks

On deity? Let us know it goes :) Jerusalem & Mecca had no early units on emperor. Maybe that is different on deity.

I was playing the historical map, yes. Like Maxym said Theo expanded into the balkans on my game too and left the area south-south east of Constantinople up for grabs. When I marched towards Constantinople I built a city 4 tiles away from the holy city and brought workers with me to build roads so that the units could be recycled quickly.

How is the random map by the way? I love the terrain of the historical map and I'm curious if there is a map script that can generate a similar map.

On deity? Let us know it goes :) Jerusalem & Mecca had no early units on emperor. Maybe that is different on deity.
-----------------
I am retrying deity with catapults (I figured composite bowman were better with 11 to 8 ranged attack, but finally realized that 200% city bonus gave them better than double power -actually I got 38's and 40's). on turn 26 I had both cities (no soldiers, just one work which I took as soon as I DOW'd. Both Theo and Saladin DOW'd me just before I attacked.
-----------------

I was playing the historical map, yes. Like Maxym said Theo expanded into the balkans on my game too and left the area south-south east of Constantinople up for grabs. When I marched towards Constantinople I built a city 4 tiles away from the holy city and brought workers with me to build roads so that the units could be recycled quickly.
-----------------

Theo saw me early with a trieme so the stealth part of the game died quick. She also ran a missionary into Aleppo and made it orthodox so I can use a orthodox missionary to convert Saladin's cities for VP when they fall

-----------------
How is the random map by the way? I love the terrain of the historical map and I'm curious if there is a map script that can generate a similar map.

-----------------
The random map just moves stuff around. Britain is bigger on mine and the Celts and English have more room to rumble. If you generate a random ITR map use the
control ~ command to open the reveal all option to get a feel for the terrain and placement of the civs

more to follow

Even if she sees you or DoWs she still might leave you well alone and Asia Minor free of settlements. That is a very quick opening to grab holy cities, now turn it into a domination win ;)

Scenario's are always poorly covered in LP's or other stuff. And sometimes they are outdated. Like i stumbled upon one for viking destination on max difficulty as england, and in his LP, they didnt take a city whole on the west of england. So he build a domesday shrine there as well, allowing him to win fairly easy.

offcours, when i tried that 1 year after the vid, they immediatly went for that city (cant remember the name, is it exeter?), and no hope left

Scenario's are always poorly covered in LP's or other stuff. And sometimes they are outdated. Like i stumbled upon one for viking destination on max difficulty as england, and in his LP, they didnt take a city whole on the west of england. So he build a domesday shrine there as well, allowing him to win fairly easy.

offcours, when i tried that 1 year after the vid, they immediatly went for that city (cant remember the name, is it exeter?), and no hope left

I on the other had found a great Viking write up and pretty much followed it to victory. My Korea experience and the Mongol scenario were equally good. Not that any of these were easy, just with guidance they were doable. I agree with your comment wholly and that is why I started this thread: to find some good suggestions.

The Viking advice was really good because the poster did a lot of telling why he did this or that and avoided the cookbook trap.

Feel free to share any tips you have on Mehmet!!

Even if she sees you or DoWs she still might leave you well alone and Asia Minor free of settlements. That is a very quick opening to grab holy cities, now turn it into a domination win ;)

I did find this to still be true. Saladin however was not happy and went after Jerusalem tooth and nail leaving scant resources to expand toward Theo..

This still a work in progress.

I finished this with around 11k points. I don't know if that's a good score though as that is the only time I've finished it. I was on emperor so perhaps not so good. Gave up on warring at around turn 175 as it took too much time, so just called it in towards the end.

Ended up taking all of Byzantine empire and I think 7 cities from Austria, mostly coastal cities with a very ridiculously powerful fleet. Austria were crazy powerful towards the end with 80m population, but did very little to take advantage. I also got all the Caravels shipped off. Even had a few to spare.

I finished 5 or 6 future techs (lots of great scientists) but this gave no points whatsoever (at least not according to the scoreboard during the game, but I don't know if it was added to the end score) and did not reveal the strategic resources it promised.

It took some time before it dawned on me that unit maintenance was only 1g pr turn, but nevertheless I was limited by my strategic resources. I think I had 30 Iron and only 4 horses, so ended up spamming privateers and CBM at the end.

The newer resources are listed as bonus resources in this scenario if I remember correctly from earlier games (and as you say are invisible.

I did find this to still be true. Saladin however was not happy and went after Jerusalem tooth and nail leaving scant resources to expand toward Theo..

This still a work in progress.

It seems you have overextended yourself. I spent half the game pushing Saladin back, he attacked me in first twenty turns and conquered Jeruslem. I settled towards him after settling few cities north, then kept fighting while grabing good spot east of Constantinople then filling in few more cities between that spot and my borders.

Once I pushed him to Sinai I took Mecca and then Cairo. Once I had Cairo I took peace, but until that point had all my forces save or few XB and pikes fighting him, while trying to get a navy going. It was hard as I had one coastal city and he had lots.

Then I shifted everyone to Byz and DoWed her, and it took a while to take control of black sea coast cities from Genghis and get a navy going there. Then Byz cap and slowly marched towards Vienna as that was my objective, I figured achievement itself will be too easy and did not want to press next turn for 50 turns.

I am sure you figured out that strategic rezz is the name of the game here, got to grab every six iron and four horse spot you can, and keep a good balance of advanced units.

Maxym, this makes me feel better. So I take Jerusalem, and fortify on my side (south) while I set myself up on Theo's side (north). Grow and fill from there. I will try that. Right now I am taking a diversion with the Fall of Rome. Thanks

I managed to get the achievement (capture Constantinople on Deity) a while ago, but not to without a lot of difficulty and many restarts. I think I went for a 4 city tradition start, building up Aleppo (NC is a priority) and expanding into Anatolia. I decided to beeline the Janissary tech and then the cannon tech, and I was pretty lucky because I started with a lot of iron. I think to get this one you may need to restart if you don't start with enough strategic resources. Once longswords were out I pushed south and took Jerusalem and Mecca from Saladin. By the time I had Janissarys I started another war with Theodora and pushed into Anatolia. Even though I was fighting on two fronts, my Janissaries just wouldn't die. Cairo fell first, and Constantinople shortly afterwards. I didn't really have good control of the seas though, because Theo had so many damn boats.

I didn't see much point in rushing to take Jerusalem. The Islam benefits are really minimal, and it just puts you into a more vulnerable position with Saladin. The Turks easily have the best late game armies in this scenario, so that's when you'll be at your strongest.

I think I might have lost the save, but if I find it I'll take a look at my game so I can give a more detailed explanation. Now if only I could beat that damn Mongol scenario on deity!

I on the other had found a great Viking write up and pretty much followed it to victory. My Korea experience and the Mongol scenario were equally good. Not that any of these were easy, just with guidance they were doable. I agree with your comment wholly and that is why I started this thread: to find some good suggestions.

The Viking advice was really good because the poster did a lot of telling why he did this or that and avoided the cookbook trap.

Feel free to share any tips you have on Mehmet!!

can you tell me where you found them? :)

Mehmet takes Constantinople!! Much joy in Aleppo !! Details to follow. T-148, we are up 3123 to 2598 over Theo, who is in second place.

Top Bottom