1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Has there been another "Call to Power" type game since Call to Power?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stringer1313, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 King

Has there been another "Call to Power" type game since Call to Power? Basically, another developer doing a 4x based on the exact same premise as Civilization, but don't feel bound by Civ conventions?

Rotomagus likes this.
  2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Nope. Sadly. This franchise needs competition.

Zuizgond and Icicle like this.
  3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Call to Power II

4. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

CTP had issues but I really enjoyed it, especially its willingness to go a bit sci-fi with having an actual future era (two IIRC) with underwater and space colonies, Maglev tracks everywhere and so on. Whatever your opinion of Civ's resistance to futuristic concepts, having additional city-building races later on really helped to liven up the late game in CTP and is something I can see working in Civ in some form.

Rotomagus likes this.
  5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Well, Warlock: Master of Arcane is very close to Civ in game mechanics, but is fantasy-themed. Not as gameplay-rich, though.

6. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Unfortunately no. God I miss that game.

Rotomagus likes this.
  7. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I’d love some near future stuff. But there are probably other things to sort out first. Maybe something for a dlc?

8. LaRo

LaRo Dead Rat

Warlock 2 is an improvement. Many were disappointed because they considered it should have been an expansion but still, I like it and really enjoy Multiplayer. Dragon vs Dragon is quite fun! Do not pay regular price, it is often on sale.

9. Icicle

Icicle Prince

Yup, CTP had lots of great, fun ideas. Unfortunately it sucked as an actual game. If someone could actually put some polish on it it really could have been something.

10. Forster

Forster Prince

I loved playing CTP and CTP 2. Activision put them out. I suspect there wasn't enough demand for them to continue updating. I wonder if someone has the rights.

Rotomagus likes this.
  11. Rotomagus

Rotomagus Chieftain

lets find out?

12. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

FFH2. Fall from Heaven 2.

Look it up.

13. Forster

Forster Prince

What's that got to do with ctp2?

Rotomagus likes this.
  14. Rotomagus

Rotomagus Chieftain

who knows, who cares. Lets talk about how we can motivate Activision to make a CtP 3

15. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

You can't. There were legal issues with CtP (the original was Civilization: Call to Power) and the sales didn't justify a sequel beyond CtP2. Now, I'd love to see a serious competitor to the Civ series, but almost all of the competitors in turn based strategy are fantasy or sci fi games. Historical games are dominated by real time grand strategy (Paradox).

Anything else would likely be panned as a bad Civ clone and would risk being unfairly compared to different versions of Civilization and would struggle to differentiate itself.

16. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I dunno. I think there is a gap for another historical turned based 4x, but more indie than AAA.

I could see something with maybe very pixelated graphics, that was more simulation less boardgame focused. Think Civ 4, but with hexes and maybe districts. It would probably have unit stacking to make it easier to code.

I think Shadowrun is a good example of what can be achieved within fairly constrained budgets / resources.

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I think the problem is - nobody works as hard on 4x turn-based gameplay as Firaxis. Recently I've looked at Galactic Civilization 3 with its bunch of gameplay DLC and thought - come on, you just can't make really deep gameplay with approach like this. It's impossible to plan and test all possible combinations of DLC, which means those DLC introduce gameplay not connected to each other. And things like this are all around. Civilization and XCOM are not just AAA games, they are AAA games with significant part of the budget put into gameplay polishing.

18. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Prince

Please, no. As somebody who grew up playing on an Atari 130XE I can understand nostalgia, to some extent, but I just can't stand pixellated graphics. It's such an eyesore - playing computer games 30 years ago I dreamed of them having realistic graphics, but now that it's possible, pixellation is suddenly the trend. One almost feels cheated by technological progress.

Zamphyr and CPWimmer like this.
  19. Rotomagus

Rotomagus Chieftain

well, motovate them to have a crowdfunding campaign, then we'll see who wants it.

20. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I guess nostalgia is part of it. But overall I prefer games with simpler graphics. It’s easier to see what’s going on and leaves more room for your own imagination. But it’s obviously all very subjective, and the while pixel thing is obviously a bit of a fad (one assume is partly driven by it actually being a bit cheaper creating pixelated graphics).