hat percent of your income are you willing to give up to solve the obvious environmental problems?

How much wealth and current/future income would you give up to solve the big environmental problems?

• Total voters
Sounds more like an immediate personal question to me, and it is doing a really good job of answering Narz's thread.

If I am reading the question correctly, it could be rephrased as:

If we are going to solve the environmental catastrophe everyone has to give up X% for their income/spending power. You get to choose for everyone. If you choose to give up X% then we save the world. If you choose not to then the world dies. What value of X is the threshold above which you let the world die?

Put like that, everyone says 100% do they not?
This but if you choose not to, then the you take your chances with the current method.

If I am reading the question correctly, it could be rephrased as:

If we are going to solve the environmental catastrophe everyone has to give up X% for their income/spending power. You get to choose for everyone. If you choose to give up X% then we save the world. If you choose not to then the world dies. What value of X is the threshold above which you let the world die?

Put like that, everyone says 100% do they not?
I thought it of as a free rider problem riddle. I’m taking the free ride. :cool:

Ride those whales, amadeus

Frankly, I'd be willing to give my entire hat budget.

Good question. Now, I'm betting that I'll be better off under Business As Usual than if I were to use any of the above numbers, since they're awfully big numbers. In practical terms, I'm already sitting below 10% through direct donation and altered Quality of Life spending. Because I think I'll be better off under BAU, I'm actually giving up QoL for poor people that are far away in both space and time. It's worth trying. "You gotta try" as Eleanor says.

But, my efforts won't be enough, and there are strong odds that too few people will voluntarily help. That said, the OP creates a pretty large list of things that will nip some of our existential risks in the bud. That's actually a lot more valuable than people think. Heck, part of the reason why I have the savings rate that I do is because I think the future is scary, so spending income to make the world less scary is just another version of the same calculation.

I think that I could do 10%, 20% if some of that is in the form of altered consumption. Like, I'd still need (say) $10 of food, but the food choices could strongly pivot from my preference

Ride those whales, amadeus

Spoiler gotta ride somethin :
whales.png

Top Bottom