Have You Ditched Civ VI and Returned to Civ V?

Have You Reverted to Playing Civ V Instead of Civ VI?

• Yes.

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • Nope. Still playing Civ VI

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

blackbutterfly

Emperor
Nostalgia playing Old World inspired me to crack open my dusty digital edition of Civ V after almost a decade.
And you know what? I forgot what an awesome game it was!

It can hold it's own to Civ VI.

In fact, IMO it's gameplay is superior to Civ VI!

What do you think?

Last edited:
Players who HAVE returned to V (i.e., came home? :)) may want to give @Nizef 's EDGE (Enjoyable Deity Game Experience) a look. Over 150 games at Deity level (some have mods, but most do not) that Nizef and others have made available. It has become one of the more popular CiV game series going.

There's also a smaller Immortal and Below series in the Strategy and Tips Forum.

I just saw this heading on the Latest Posts bar for the forums as a whole, and must say, I've never played Civ4 or Civ5, only Civ1, Civ2, Civ3, and Civ6, to be honest. Not anything to return to in Civ5, due to that. But, I have returned with a greater vengeance to Civ2, especially with the ToTPP project, that's expanded it greatly as a game engine and, certainly, a scenario-making platform.

I just saw this heading on the Latest Posts bar for the forums as a whole, and must say, I've never played Civ4 or Civ5, only Civ1, Civ2, Civ3, and Civ6, to be honest. Not anything to return to in Civ5, due to that. But, I have returned with a greater vengeance to Civ2, especially with the ToTPP project, that's expanded it greatly as a game engine and, certainly, a scenario-making platform.

Oh well, I never played Civ 2.

SMAC was my first Civ (and first Mac game along with Nanosaur!) :lol:

But Civ V is "peak civ".
You gotta try it.

I'm sure it's super discounted somewhere. Pick it up!

Civ 5 is the only one I've played. I'd heard about it now and then before that, and then I guess one day saw some advertising it one day in 2013. And it looked good--really good.

It wasn't quite as good as I hoped, due to a few annoying things, but in some ways it was much better than I expected.

Later I saw that Civ 6 was coming out. In reading about it, it just didn't sound nearly as good. Then the early reviews also didn't sound that good . . . and nearly everything I've heard about it since 2016 makes me think it's just not as good.

And now I've created a mod, Fantastic Ancients, that corrects many of the problems I saw in Civ 5 in the first place.

So I just really don't see any reason to ever buy Civ 6.

What did it do better than Civ 5? Natural disasters or something?

What did it do better than Civ 5? Natural disasters or something?
  • Yes, Climate System and coastal flooding in particular.
    This alters the map/geography sinking coastal tiles with global warming and rising tide...soz, sea level :)
  • The Canal district:
    in many maps it's useful to have the canal to be able to traverse maps with 2-3 tile isthmus.
    For example in Civ VI maps including the Nile, Levant and Arab peninsula it is possible to build canals and move navies across.
    Something not possible in Civ V.
  • 1-tile Wonders.
But I really miss playing tall in Civ V.
No puppet cities in Civ VI. Like Beyond Earth, it's a play wide game.

• Yes, Climate System and coastal flooding in particular.
    This alters the map/geography sinking coastal tiles with global warming and rising tide...soz, sea level :)
  • The Canal district:
    in many maps it's useful to have the canal to be able to traverse maps with 2-3 tile isthmus.
    For example in Civ VI maps including the Nile, Levant and Arab peninsula it is possible to build canals and move navies across.
  • 1-tile Wonders.
But I really miss playing tall in Civ V.
No puppet cities in Civ VI. Like Beyond Earth, it's a play wide game.

Civ2 (especially with FW, ToT, and the fanmade ToTPP and all the assets in the Scenario League) is the friendliest to custom scenario and mod making - many with amazing levels of flexibility and complexity - without requiring some degree of programming and 3D graphics modeling skills.

• [*]Yes, Climate System and coastal flooding in particular.
    [*]The Canal district:
    [*]1-tile Wonders.

Civ 5 has some mods for canals and bridges.

What do you mean by 1-tile wonders? Do you mean the wonders now take up a whole tile? That . . . doesn't sound like an improvement.

Civ 6 just sounds to me a lot like a cash grab. Why make a game that's not really an improvement over the previous one except for $$$$? As players I think we'd be better off just staying with an old and good game than a new one that isn't really better.

Civ 5 has some mods for canals and bridges.

It does?! 🤔
What do you mean by 1-tile wonders? Do you mean the wonders now take up a whole tile? That . . . doesn't sound like an improvement.

Yeah.
Although you get to enjoy the beauty of seeing the Pyramids or the Eiffel Tower in full splendor (rather than hidden in a corner of a city graphic, usually hard to see).

Civ 6 just sounds to me a lot like a cash grab. Why make a game that's not really an improvement over the previous one except for $$$$? As players I think we'd be better off just staying with an old and good game than a new one that isn't really better.

Can't argue with you here.
I'm pretty sure 2K execs observed player numbers 5+ years after Civ V was released for a game that cost 1/2 the price of Civ: Beyond Earth.
(If you recall BE was originally priced at like 2X the original price of Civ V).

Perhaps instead of just wishing they priced Civ V more competitively, they instead chose to milk the franchise cash cow and give us Civ VI.

TBH Ed Beech did make some improvements:
Many of the civs are much better designed and more culturally appropriate, bar a few (like Shaka and Genghis).
And I do really like the Climate System especially as it is topical RN.

I like to think we are playing more than just a game 😄

I played several hundred hours of Civ 5 back when it was new, and I have to say that it feels a lot more simplistic than 4, which I think is the better game (especially with Realism Invictus). No intent of being belligerent or trying to damper the fun of those who genuinely prefer 5, but I can't see why. I did enjoy playing 5 at the time, but it wasn't really for any meaningful depth or dynamic of play, but rather the smorgasbord of "Oh, this effect seems cool, let's spend several hours trying it!"

Have any of you all given 4 an honest try, and if so, what is your reasoning for preferring 5 over it?

I played several hundred hours of Civ 5 back when it was new, and I have to say that it feels a lot more simplistic than 4, which I think is the better game (especially with Realism Invictus). No intent of being belligerent or trying to damper the fun of those who genuinely prefer 5, but I can't see why. I did enjoy playing 5 at the time, but it wasn't really for any meaningful depth or dynamic of play, but rather the smorgasbord of "Oh, this effect seems cool, let's spend several hours trying it!"

Have any of you all given 4 an honest try, and if so, what is your reasoning for preferring 5 over it?

Yeah, Civ 4 was a good game.

I much preferred the pace of Civ 4 cos you can have a life/job and play it unlike Civ V 😂
(It's why I took so long to play it, mostly over 10 years I suppose over holidays and stuff and after 6000 hrs I still haven't finished the scenario Scramble For Africa!)

In fact weirdly it's cos I started playing Old World (which felt a lot like Civ V) that made me download and install it after almost a decade!

The major innovation in Civ V is the hex.
And although I have heard he wasn't popular, Jon Shafer made that innovation along with many of its maps. (I love maps & scenarios BTW).

Somehow when 2K+Firaxis got around to doing Civ VI I think their map guy had gone?! IDK
But Civ V's maps and scenarios are vastly superior to those of Civ VI.

E.g: Into the Renaissance and Scramble For Africa.

I don't recall Civ 4 scenarios being as so deeply immersive.

Last edited:
Yeah, Civ 4 was a good game.

I much preferred the pace of Civ 4 cos you can have a life/job and play it unlike Civ V 😂
(It's why I took so long to play it, mostly over 10 years I suppose over holidays and stuff and after 6000 hrs I still haven't finished the scenario Scramble For Africa!)

In fact weirdly it's cos I started playing Old World (which felt a lot like Civ V) that made me download and install it after almost a decade!

The major innovation in Civ V is the hex.
And although I have heard he wasn't popular, Jon Shafer made that innovation along with many of its maps. (I love maps & scenarios BTW).

Somehow when 2K+Firaxis got around to doing Civ VI I think their map guy had gone?! IDK
But Civ V's maps and scenarios are vastly superior to those of Civ VI.

E.g: Into the Renaissance and Scramble For Africa.

I don't recall Civ 4 scenarios being as so deeply enthralling.
Yeah, those scenarios were pretty cool. I liked the immersive flavor that they had, but that was just the thing for me; the game didn't seem to go much beyond flavor. Perhaps I'm being unfair and ought to give it another try, and once again I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I just increasingly got the feeling that Civ 5 was intentionally simplified to have a wider market appeal.

Besides that, I am indifferent towards the hexes... in fact, I slightly prefer squares, but it doesn't matter much to me. I can see the rationale for hexes since diagonal movement with squares is unevenly faster relative to cardinal movements, but they still look cleaner to me. Can totally see why people prefer hexes though, just not really a selling point for me.

One unit per tile I am pretty disappointed with. Realism Invictus has a nice urban and field logistics system which incorporates various combined arms bonuses in tandem with progressively bad penalties for overstacking. While it stops short of something truly realistic like a supply chain system, it's still a lot of fun and seems to have curbed ridiculous SoDs (that in unison with scaling unit costs for building the same class). One unit per tile always felt highly implausible and awkward. Really surprised that anyone's a fan of that.

Other combat features which felt very weird was the ranged attack from cities and archers. Once again, Realism Invictus did something with that idea in a much more satisfying way with adjacent ranged attack from cannons onward (and unmovable fortress batteries for cities!), and then truly modern artillery can fire two tiles away, but for a mere bowman to be capable of this was absurd and felt cartoonish to an extreme degree. I would suppose that Civ players have various levels of realism that they expect, and many of the game's core features require some imagination to take seriously already, but this was simply a bridge too far.

Global happiness was a terrible replacement for city maintenance as an expansion check, IMO. That simply doesn't make any sense, and it replaced something which actually did and accomplished the same thing already.

Another small gripe with Civ 5 is that the geography didn't seem to define the game very much in the way that it did in 4, and probably should in general. The map more or less felt the same from game to game and there wasn't the same degree of rich and poor land defining settlement patterns and incentivizing wars, at least in my games.

I do like some of the later game mechanics they added like tourism and poverty (IIRC on the latter...) as that was always absent from the game beforehand and adds some domestic richness which was otherwise lacking. City states were cool too, although (and I promise I'm not being compelled to advertise RI :D ) the revolution mechanic, and barbarian integration in that game ensures that there are plenty of small states amid the large ones over the course of play from balkanization.

@blackbutterfly

I'm subscribed to this Civ 5 mod, "Bridges and Canals": https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=french&id=265074588

Although you get to enjoy the beauty of seeing the Pyramids or the Eiffel Tower in full splendor (rather than hidden in a corner of a city graphic, usually hard to see).

There's actually a setting I just learned about in Civ 5 that lets you zoom way in to see the small details of such structures.

You should have a folder that's somewhere like Documents>My Games>Sid Meier's Civilization 5.

In the config.ini file, you'll find something like this:

; How close you can get (11.0=default, 4.0=debug zoom)
Minimum Zoom Level = 1.500000

Your minimum zoom level is probably 11.0 though. Change it to 1.5 or 1 or something and you'll be able to zoom way in to see far more details in the game graphics.

Download this mod, and you'll also be able to rotate the camera around to see every facet of the structures and such in Civ 5:

There are many other such awesome mods for Civ 5 . . . I think it's a game that's relatively easy to mod--I don't know how to program, but I've made some pretty cool mods and hope to build a really big one someday.

@AspiringScholar
I played several hundred hours of Civ 5 back when it was new, and I have to say that it feels a lot more simplistic than 4
Civ 5 is the only game in the series I've played. How is it more simplistic than 4?

One unit per tile I am pretty disappointed with.

I strongly agree with this. Fortunately, there are lots of mods out there that fix this. My mod, Fantastic Ancients, changes it to 3 per tile, but it also changes a lot of other stuff. There are some out there that change it specifically though, like this one:

Other combat features which felt very weird was the ranged attack from cities and archers.

This is something else I'd like to fix in my future mod, but as of yet I've really only worked on the Ancient Era.

Global happiness was a terrible replacement for city maintenance as an expansion check, IMO. That simply doesn't make any sense, and it replaced something which actually did and accomplished the same thing already.

City maintenance? Are you talking about simply having a gold cost for your city? What kind of city maintenance did 4 have?

In any case, I disliked how 5's happiness system worked from the start, and how the whole game seemed to be biased against warfare. These were all issues I strove to fix with Fantastic Ancients.

geography didn't seem to define the game very much in the way that it did in 4 . . . . there wasn't the same degree of rich and poor land defining settlement patterns and incentivizing wars

I'm very curious what you mean by this. Wars in Civ 5 sometimes have to do with iron, oil, uranium . . .

the revolution mechanic, and barbarian integration in that game ensures that there are plenty of small states amid the large ones over the course of play from balkanization

How did Realism Invictus do it? I do remember somewhere seeing a mod for revolutions in Civ 5, probably this one:

"Civ 5 is the only game in the series I've played. How is it more simplistic than 4?"

It's been a good long while since I've played 5, so perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but I recall the amount and complexity of data to have been notably less overall, and, from a strategic point of view, the player was capable of doing things that very obviously cut the corners of things which were supposed to be real barriers to have to work around: case in point, water is not even a barrier for land units, presumably because building transports would just be a boring hang-up against being able to casually invade without investing in a navy. That's just one example, but I think it's a good one to illustrate the change of intent with game design that I perceive. In 4, you would have to actually devote time and resources to building a fleet, and if you encountered water, it was a real prevention against movement in lieu of this. I'd have to reload the game and look at a lot of things fresh to make a carefully delineated list of this, but just about every facet of the game: espionage, diplomacy, warfare, etc., had more data inputs than 5. A brief glance at the UI menus for each game should confirm that unambiguously. I will be happy to concede that I'm wrong if I am, but that's how I remember it.

"I strongly agree with this. Fortunately, there are lots of mods out there that fix this. My mod, Fantastic Ancients, changes it to 3 per tile, but it also changes a lot of other stuff. There are some out there that change it specifically though, like this one:"

Yeah, and the one unit per tile thing is another strong example. While ostensibly it was supposed to make combat more interesting, it did still simplify the mechanics and often just resulted in awkward, unrealistic and clunky movements. That's cool that there are mods for 5 which work around this, though. I would agree that the stack of death in Civ 4 was unsatisfying, especially when only some very slight changes would have mitigated these problems considerably, but 1UPT was not the way to go. For instance, In vanilla Civ 4, siege weapons inflicted collateral damage on other units in the stack but were not able to kill them totally, but were often themselves fairly weak on their own, so it made the most logical sense to suicidally attack with siege weapons to soften up enemy units, suicidally sacrificing several of your siege weapons on the front lines so that your attacking force would be up against a weakened enemy, and this meant that stack compositions of 60-70% siege were ideal, and that they were supposed to be your front-line units. That always felt strange and silly, even though the promotions system and unit specialization in conjunction with a defender's bonus was itself satisfying. Realism Invictus used the core of the system but overhauled it, such that siege weapons begin with rams, not catapults, and are at first only useful in providing an aid bonus to a stack when attacking a city, and in reducing city defenses. Ranged attack doesn't even begin until bombards (early cannons are represented in the mod), these actually don't inflict collateral damage: instead, heavy cavalry does. So, the combat system with the mod is superb, IMO, but base Civ 4 did have a glaring problem here, but a fix along the lines of this could have been made for 5 and yet they went in a completely different direction, which seemed aimed at someone not keen or interested in a plausible model of military strategy.

"City maintenance? Are you talking about simply having a gold cost for your city? What kind of city maintenance did 4 have?

In any case, I disliked how 5's happiness system worked from the start, and how the whole game seemed to be biased against warfare. These were all issues I strove to fix with Fantastic Ancients."

Yes, there was a dual-faceted financial check on expansion, contingent upon a few factors: number of cities overall, and then each city's individual distance to your capital (which can be moved by building a palace in another city, if need be), and then courthouses reduce this further. If you take the State Property civic, it eliminates the maintenance cost from distance to palace, and there is a national wonder (i.e., one that everyone can individually build, but still expensive), the Forbidden Palace, which acts like a regular palace in this respect. This makes plausible sense as a check to expansion, even if this mechanic is pretty simple, in representing the administrative costs of an empire. (It also correlates to civic maintenance, for the same reasons.) In RI, additional cities also directly contribute to technology cost, as a further check on expansion, which was a good change since the runaway civs always became impossible to compete with research-wise, and now you can feasibly play a tall game, if you so choose. There does need to be a system in place which prevents casual expansion, but happiness does not make sense at all. In fact, the way that 5 modeled it, almost made it seem like your people frown upon their own civilization thriving: why would people in a small city on the outskirts of an empire be equally (or at all) affected by the capital city increasing by one population point? Again, I think the developers just wanted more shiny flare in the game than to have designed a historically believable and well-functioning mechanic.

"I'm very curious what you mean by this. Wars in Civ 5 sometimes have to do with iron, oil, uranium . . ."

Actually, I will have to give the point to 5 about the resources. That one source of any resource is both permanent and infinite is one feature of 4 which is disappointing. In fact, if I could add any one major feature to the game, it would be some kind of a rough approximation of modern finance, but it's just not in the game. They flirted with it with corporations, which were fun, and made it such that the more of any one kind of resource that you controlled, the more output each respective corporation yielded (and corporations themselves behaved like a modern, secular analogue to religion in that they spread and you are incentivized to promote this), but it stopped short of something like representing a national debt or a system of credit, which would have been really enjoyable even if it was made rudimentary. Realism Invictus scrapped corporations because the modders didn't like it, but there is now a multi-tier industrial system, where certain resources are manufactured into finished goods, and you must control multiple instances of a base resource to retain its benefit in addition to your supply chain, as trading away a resource eliminates it from your use. That is a fun and interesting, but still doesn't satisfy what I'd like to see. In any case, it's already a fantastic and dynamic game. You can't have everything.

Regarding geography (sans resources, as I'll give you that), I just didn't see the same kinds of game-defining things like vast jungles or deserts, influencing play in the way that it does in 4, and, as stated, even water doesn't matter much for purposes of strategic movement or defense! This one I'd probably need to play a new game of 5 to get a fresh take on, however.

"How did Realism Invictus do it? I do remember somewhere seeing a mod for revolutions in Civ 5, probably this one:"

To the best of my knowledge, they literally just incorporated that mod within Realism Invictus directly, although this one was Revolutions for 4. I really, really like what it adds, as that would have been the most glaring thing missing, were it to left out. Basically, all cities have a separatism level whose inputs are contingent upon the "global era" which is the average era of all civs in the game, rounded down, and as you progress through them, separatism becomes harder and harder to quell. It is opposed by the size of the garrison, espionage and government type actions. Cities can secede, and even conquered civs can snap back to existence if their conqueror can't hold onto them or supplant the latent culture well enoughl. Now there is a real system of domestic stability which adds so much to the game. While the AI isn't great at managing it, as the player it really does add to difficulty. You can't even settle ungarrisoned cities without revolt risk.

It's pretty complex, but you might really enjoy Civ 4: RI, given some of the things you've agreed with here.

I "ditched" Civ 6 for 5 well over a year ago, although I have recently played a few games of 6 again, and I probably will continue to do so every now and then. I am disappointed at how Civ 6 ended up, but it does have its merits, and I do ocassionally find myself missing certain aspects of it when playing other games. I think Civ 5 in its final form is a better game overall though. Civ 6 really shines in the early game, but quickly becomes tedious. Most 4X games have this issue, but not to the same extent. Civ 5 has much less late game micro management, and gives the player new things to focus on, such as a ideologies, shared projects and a decent World Congress system.

...and of course, I have to mention Vox Populi. It overhauls and improves just about every aspect of Civ 5 while adding new content, thus taking a game which was already better, and making it far superior. In my opinion. :)

In vanilla Civ 4, siege weapons inflicted collateral damage on other units in the stack but were not able to kill them totally

Yeah, I've looked for a mod for this specific issue as well for Civ 5 but couldn't find anything.

a fix along the lines of this could have been made for 5 and yet they went in a completely different direction, which seemed aimed at someone not keen or interested in a plausible model of military strategy.

I think Civ 5 was biased against warfare in general. The happiness system, culture, the production system, and the way military units were used--especially the ridiculous ranges that ranged units had--all indicated to me that the creators of 5 largely didn't even want players to go to war. That, and it sounds like they wanted the game to have more mainstream appeal or something.

There does need to be a system in place which prevents casual expansion, but happiness does not make sense at all.

Lately I've actually been pondering what a good system to do this would be. I'm thinking more and more it might be beyond my skill in modding. Civ 5 punishes you for expansion by inflicting tech, culture, and happiness penalties, which I don't find realistic. Not exactly sure what the answer to this one is though.

I just didn't see the same kinds of game-defining things like vast jungles or deserts, influencing play in the way that it does in 4, and, as stated, even water doesn't matter much for purposes of strategic movement or defense!

Map size is a big influence on this, but I often see huge jungles and deserts. They can most certainly affect games. At least, the jungles greatly slow units down. I consider deserts to be quite a bit less desirable to settle than just about anywhere else. And as for water, it's true that you can embark units pretty easily. It does end that unit's turn though. I'm not quite sure how 4 did it.

I have to mention Vox Populi

I keep hearing about Vox Populi, but I know almost nothing about it or where to get it. What's the deal with it?

@Iconian

Vox Populi is a comprehensive modpack which overhauls just about everything about Civ 5, while adding a bunch of new features. I am not going to list everything, but just to give you an idea of the scope, here are some of the changes:
* The AI is massively improved
* All Civ abilities are different
* All social policies are different
* All religious beliefs are different
* There's a local happiness system based on "needs"
* There's a bunch of new luxury resources
* There's a resource monopoly feature, giving each luxury a unique bonus when you get more than 50% of global supply
* Corporations are in the game
* Recon units gain experience for scouting, and have a promotion tree which can massively improve their mobility and vision
* ...in fact, all units have reworked, more comprehensive promotion trees

...and so on. It is really hard to do it justice, as while the game is still Civ 5 at its core, everything is reworked, and while there aren't any new civs, I would say there's still a couple of expansions worth of entirely new content in the form of systems, resources, units and wonders. It's brilliant, but be aware that it is generally also more complex than vanilla Civ 5, and there's a lot to learn. It might feel a bit overwhelming at first, and with the AI being a lot more competent, you should go down at least a couple of difficulty levels from what you're used to. I mostly play on Prince, which is not too hard when you know how VP works, but the AI will still generally keep up with you and challenge you. I usually don't start getting a tech lead until the late mid-game, and even then it's usually a small one.

To install it, check out this thread:

It's mostly a matter of downloading and running the automated installer, launching the game, selecting mods, and making sure the VP mods are checked (numbered 1, 2, 3a, 4a and 4b), and clicking next. The numbering make it seem like something is missing, but this is just due to some packages being consolidated, as I understand it.

If your Steam library is not on C, you may run into an issue where the installer puts the files on the wrong drive, in which case you will get some error messages ("unable to load texture") while the game is loading. Fortunately, this is easily fixed by moving a folder, as described in this Reddit thread:

Let me know if you need any help. :) I love Vox Populi, and wish more people would get to experience it.

@Iconian

Vox Populi is a comprehensive modpack which overhauls just about everything about Civ 5, while adding a bunch of new features. I am not going to list everything, but just to give you an idea of the scope, here are some of the changes:
* The AI is massively improved
* All Civ abilities are different
* All social policies are different
* All religious beliefs are different
* There's a local happiness system based on "needs"
* There's a bunch of new luxury resources
* There's a resource monopoly feature, giving each luxury a unique bonus when you get more than 50% of global supply
* Corporations are in the game
* Recon units gain experience for scouting, and have a promotion tree which can massively improve their mobility and vision
* ...in fact, all units have reworked, more comprehensive promotion trees

...and so on. It is really hard to do it justice, as while the game is still Civ 5 at its core, everything is reworked, and while there aren't any new civs, I would say there's still a couple of expansions worth of entirely new content in the form of systems, resources, units and wonders. It's brilliant, but be aware that it is generally also more complex than vanilla Civ 5, and there's a lot to learn. It might feel a bit overwhelming at first, and with the AI being a lot more competent, you should go down at least a couple of difficulty levels from what you're used to. I mostly play on Prince, which is not too hard when you know how VP works, but the AI will still generally keep up with you and challenge you. I usually don't start getting a tech lead until the late mid-game, and even then it's usually a small one.

To install it, check out this thread:

It's mostly a matter of downloading and running the automated installer, launching the game, selecting mods, and making sure the VP mods are checked (numbered 1, 2, 3a, 4a and 4b), and clicking next. The numbering make it seem like something is missing, but this is just due to some packages being consolidated, as I understand it.

If your Steam library is not on C, you may run into an issue where the installer puts the files on the wrong drive, in which case you will get some error messages ("unable to load texture") while the game is loading. Fortunately, this is easily fixed by moving a folder, as described in this Reddit thread:

Let me know if you need any help. :) I love Vox Populi, and wish more people would get to experience it.
There's like a crap ton of modmods for it aswell, though eventually VP still does get boring after a while. The last 3 iterations of the Civilization game have all differed a lot. Civ 4 mega death stacks of doom, vassal states, cities could be placed within 3 tiles of eachother, etc., while Civilization 5 took a different approach and simplified the game. They revamped the happiness system, made units attack in a UPT system instead of a ultra big mega stack deaths of doom one. Policies were added, Unique Abilities were added (though most of them felt really bland). Now, Civilization 6 on the other hand, expanded upon the previous iteration of the game, making UA's more unique, adding several gamemodes, civilizations, natural disasters, districts, tech AND culture trees, changing the graphics, adding the loyalty system, so much stuff! But here is the problem - that's too much, and with the graphic overhaul, it clearly will dissuade Civ 5 players from trying the game, especially sinec it's so much different than the previous one.

The last 3 iterations of the Civilization game have all differed a lot. Civ 4 mega death stacks of doom, vassal states, cities could be placed within 3 tiles of eachother, etc.
All six iterations have differed from each other by about that much, comparatively. But I'm an old hand with the series, and even though I admitted, above, to not yet trying 4 and 5, "the computer game grapevine osmosis," still gives me a very strong grasp I'm not wrong.

Top Bottom