Heavy Cruiser with Rail Mounts 16 Mar. 2005

Neomega

Deity
Railship.zip (4.7 Mb zipped)

Click on link below to see animation:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Railship.gif

There are 6 things I hope to improve with the next ship........

+fireballs are too red in attack C
+Falling Rail Slug smoke trails in attack C are a little too big
+consistency (two animations were rendered in YAFRay, 4 in blender, the death sticks out like a sore thumb)
+Laser shield in Attack A needs to look more like lights, and less like red lines
+needs a wake / water effects... allthough on close inspection of civ III original units, it may be better without
+glow on side washed out due to 160 color palette.

Made using Blender, FLICster, Civ3FlcEdit, SBB, PEdit, Paint Shop Pro 9

I think in this case it would be better if the ship didn't rock from the recoil that doesn't happen.

Nice looking ship. I like the gun animations.
Pity there isn't some anim possible to have it only use one gun on some paltry opponent.

Hmm.. I've was corrected via PM long ago about my railgunner not having any kick.... I was told it needed kick. The kid was majoring in physics in College, so I took his word for it.

My original intent was to have the guns cock back and sling forward, like an arrow being launched by a bow... but I figured people would not understand.....

Hey if he says it has kick take his word for it.
I took alot of physics, but it was not my major. I was lucky enough to see a linear accelertor once and asked a few questions. I asked about recoil when these things made it to a rifle format and was told that because the acceleration is so gradual intially and then builds quickly without any explosion that it would likely have little if any recoil. But this was quite some time ago. Perhaps there is a new theory now.

Drivebymaster said:
Wait aren't rail guns esentially photon cannons? cuz photons have no mass and the whole ship moves when it fires (AWSOME IT SHOWS ALL THE POWER IN IT)

No.

~~~~A gun without kick is like watching battles in Star Trek.

~~~~A gun with kick is like watching giant Space fireballs and sonic space land mines in Star Wars.

One is more technically accurate.... and one looks cooler. :)

My initial thought was not to have kick.... but it didn't look very cool.

BTW the next death scene you make needs to like have the ship go down in a blaze of glory.....Like the deck catches on fire and burns for a few frames then a big explosion that sinks the sucker

EDIT I SPELT DECK WRONG!!!! :lol: :crazyeye:

Drivebymaster said:
BTW the next death scene you make needs to like have the ship go down in a blaze of glory.....Like the deck catches on fire and burns for a few frames then a big explosion that sinks the sucker

EDIT I SPELT DECK WRONG!!!! :lol: :crazyeye:

{OT}
Funny you say this, the next ship is going ot have an ample deck.... this is about 6 hours work so far.....

I am going to try to add 3 different special effects to every unit, so I don't get in a rut with Blender... So I am not sure... but this one is progressing much faster than the last.{/OT}

Attachments

• WarCarrierEarly.jpg
    WarCarrierEarly.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 4,257
just thought of a great death for that unit........it splits right down the middle of the deck and collapses inwards? Kinda weird to see a ship do that but after all this is a ship with out a conning tower.

Drivebymaster said:
Wait aren't rail guns esentially photon cannons? cuz photons have no mass and the whole ship moves when it fires (AWSOME IT SHOWS ALL THE POWER IN IT)
I thought that railguns worked by fireing a very small projectile at incredible speeds? The power from a railgun comes from the shear quantity of energy in the projectile when it hits its' target (don't quote me on that :) ). So it must recoil.

Neomega, that carrier looks awesome :wow: :drool:

muffins said:
I thought that railguns worked by fireing a very small projectile at incredible speeds? The power from a railgun comes from the shear quantity of energy in the projectile when it hits its' target (don't quote me on that :) ). So it must recoil.

Neomega, that carrier looks awesome :wow: :drool:

dredging up from the deep recesses of my memory...

Well a large part of the recoil of a cannon is from the explosive launch (gunpowder exploding) of the projectile.
In a linear accelerator, such as this rail gun represents (I believe), the acceleration does not come from any explosive force but from electro-magnetism which use the power of these forces to pull the projectile along. And while the final speed is incredibly high, the acceleration is fairly gradual. I was once told that a rifle (small arms) made with such technology would have little if any discernable recoil when compared to a modern assault rifle like the m16 or ak47. Now I've fired several m16's (a1, a2, etc) and a couple of ak47s (Russian, Chinese….) and those seemed to have very little recoil compared to my old hunting rifle. Now, while I'm no physicist, I know enough to know that an acceleration must have as much energy directed backwards as forwards (plus friction, etc). So I had thought that a particle gun would not be practical.. Or maybe kick like those old muzzle-loading 50cal muskets. But, the physics I talked to (I assume that’s what he was) said that because the initial acceleration is so mild and the particle is so small, that a particle rifle should have very little if any kick.
But Neomega says he talked to someone studying in this field, and that this thinking might not reflect current thoughts on linear accelerators.

That's beautiful. Utterly Beautiful. If I ever get off of Pirates! it's going into my fun fun fun mod.

Neomega, is that new preview a type of supercarrier?

EDIT: I got to take a full look at the Pentagenesis mod yesterday. I hadn't realized you had made som many awesome futuristic ships--Interceptor, Vacuum Bomber, and some much needed naval vessels (Lasership, Cruiser (with a crane!), Super Transport). My favorites are your capital space ships, the Core Gaurd (sic) and Stratocraft. Brilliant!

Camber said:
Neomega, is that new preview a type of supercarrier?

EDIT: I got to take a full look at the Pentagenesis mod yesterday. I hadn't realized you had made som many awesome futuristic ships--Interceptor, Vacuum Bomber, and some much needed naval vessels (Lasership, Cruiser (with a crane!), Super Transport). My favorites are your capital space ships, the Core Gaurd (sic) and Stratocraft. Brilliant!

Well I'll be damned...... I have spelled guard wrong my whole life.

The Core Guard and Stratocraft never really got animated, because they were the last ventures in Rhino 3d... which 2 years ago did not have animations. (I hear it does now).

I am not sure about the Stratocraft... But In my head the animations for the core guard have been brewing for over a year. In fact I was thinking alot about it again yesterday.

Top Bottom