Help Developing the Europe 2014 Mod

nguyenforthewin13

Chieftain
Recently, I released my Europe 2014 mod on the Steam Workshop, and personally I'm hoping that it will provide a lot of fun for people just like the Earth 2014 mod did years before. It is an absolutely colossal scenario, with 449 cities and the max number of Civs and City-States. I had to create 13 new civs to add to 9 existing civs from the Earth 2014 mod.

While this mod may be a somewhat impressive achievement, I'm not an experienced modder or skilled coder, as you would be able to tell if you've noticed all of my recycled and scavenged coding materials inside the Europe 2014 mod. If I could get assistance in developing this mod from somebody who is skilled with Lua and SQL, that would be phenomenal, as there are some relatively simple tasks that are beyond my limited abilities, such as creating a scenario loading screen, founding a religion in a City-State (I keep trying to use Lua to found Oriental Orthodoxy in Armenia, which I did successfully once before, but I haven't been able to replicate it since...), or incorporating events and decisions as I'm thinking about doing from Sukritact's Events and Decisions mod.

I'm not a particularly good artist on the computer either, as Gimp is sort of rough for me. While I think I have produced workable leaderscreens, maps, and atlases, they don't quite fit with the high quality materials in the Europe 2014 mod, and it would be nice if they could be improved upon or replaced with better artwork. Also, many of the unique units in my mod lack unit atlases or models entirely, because they share them with other unique units that I stole from either the Earth 2014 mod or unit megamods on the Steam Workshop. So people skilled at making 3D models or even just 2D artwork would be very helpful as well.

Lastly, it'd be great if I could have help bugfixing with this mod, because there are quite a few bugs, which seem to be quite difficult to solve even using logs. Most notably, the Syrian civilization crashes the game at the loadscreen, although I am aware it is not a civ-specific issue because I have functionally tested the modded civ in otherwise vanilla gameplay. The logs cut off immediately without note when the game crashes while loading the game as Syria, and I have the sense that I will never be able to figure out the source of this problem without the help of an experienced modder.

There are a lot of things the Europe 2014 mod needs work on, but if you have any of the skills I listed above and are interested in helping me improve on this mod, I will gladly welcome you as a developer for the mod, because it is a large mod that is a lot of work for somebody who is going semi-blindly on their own like me. Thanks for reading this and feel free to message me either here on CivFanatics or on Steam if you believe you can help me out.

This looks amazing! But...is it/will it be comparable with vox populi or the balance patch?

This looks amazing! But...is it/will it be comparable with vox populi or the balance patch?
Alright, sorry for the fairly late response, but right now the mod is not compatible with Vox Populi or the Balance Patch, and I don't think that I'll be able to make it compatible in the future, either. The main reason is just that Vox Populi is updated constantly, and making a Europe 2014 mod-mod that'd have to be kept up-to-date with Vox Populi would be rather stressful, especially since Europe 2014 is already so huge to begin with. Plus, Europe 2014 already has a lot of bugs as it is, and making a version dependent on another mod would just exacerbate these problems.

Also, even though I don't have to go back to college until October, once I'm in school on the other side of the country, I won't have access to a PC, which would make updating my mod impossible. My only computer when I'm at school is a Macbook, which of course doesn't run World Builder (thanks Firaxis), can't run Vox Populi (although I heard Wine can let me do it?), and worst off, will just straight up crash when running Europe 2014 on its own, because the map and the mod are so big.

If somebody wanted to take over Europe 2014 simply for the sake of making it compatible with Vox Populi, I would certainly let them and help them accomplish that, but realistically if I were to do that by myself we'd be looking at a mod that would probably be quite buggy and out-of-date with Vox Populi for the majority of the year.

Top Bottom