1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help improve the AI

Discussion in 'Old World' started by alexman, May 19, 2020.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I've seen clues of this happening in my games as well - in past games, when they declare war, all their units teleport into my lands the next turns and it's a ROFLstomp usually, but that hasnt' been the case as much lately (allowing me to jack the difficulty up to "Great")- the AI seems a lot more cautious.

Having said that, have you checked to see if the AI was at war with other nations? That may be why they havent' attacked you.

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Oh, yes, they (AI Rome) had war vs. Gauls...

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

It does seem like AI has gone timid. I'm in a game, "Great" difficulty, where Rome is "Much Stronger" than me. They declared war, so I thought, well, gg and prepared for the ROFLstomp. I clustered my pathetic band of warriors around the city and waited. And waited... Every few turns, they would send one unit and then I'd kill that one unit. Then nothing for years. And then they'd send one unit again. Eventually they asked for a truce.

They did do a smart thing every once in a while: they would place a catapult at a max distance from my city and start bombarding. This lured several of my warriors out to kill the catapult. Then once I did that, all my warriors got eaten alive by a swarm. However, once that happened, they should then sent said swarm to my city. Instead, the swarm just left.

I get the sense that the AI is very good at seizing openings/opportunities, but is not as great about dealing with a mass of units clustered together, even if their units clearly outnumber the player's.

4. Kruos

Kruos Warlord

From my experience with the game (~150hrs), some AI leader archetypes (hero, etc) has the bad habits to be taken in many wars at the same time, thus leading to some timid looking behavior sometime. It seems particularly true at The Great difficulty due to its high warlike attitude (+50%).