Help me, can't play game efficiently at all!

:hmm: You do seem to be having a few problems. :( You could try the following for a comprehensive uninstall which may resolve your problems.

After testing Civ4 vanilla try installing Warlords which will patch vanilla to 1.61. Reboot afterwards. If Warlords works ok then you can try installing BTS which will patch vanilla to 1.74 and warlords to 2.13. If vanilla, warlords and BTS all work then you can patch BTS to 3.13.

Btw I'm assuming that you're running Win XP rather than Vista.

Good help Sam. I bought the regular Civ IV. Was playing it for a week and clicked on the updates option. Installed update 1.74 and the game would not boot. Uninstalled everything but the 1.74 patch and would not install 1.6 again because it kept recognizing 1.74. Didn't want to, but I went into the registry and deleted all The Firaxis files and then the {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}.
I can now re-install Civ IV. No more updates

I did everything u said. No luck. Vanilla worked out fine (as it has been all along). But when I installed Warlords and rebooted, the same errors occured.

That means, the "TXT_KEY_..." errors still was there, AND the civic bug...

I really can't understand it :S

Can't be the CD that's scratched or something, cause the same errors occurs both when installing with Warlords OR BtS :(

Have you actually done a complete reinstall as I suggested and only installed vanilla and BTS? Even although you uninstall warlords it's possible that something is being left from warlords, or alternatively that BTS thinks warlords is installed, and that this is why you have problems with BTS. I just find it really difficult to believe that both warlords and BTS would cause these problems.

I was having this same problem I could always play vanilla, but one day my boyfriend went out and bought warlords and BTS, but when he realized BTS also included warlords he gave it to me. Well he came to my house one day and decided to just install BTS, and as soon as he did it one of the options said "TXT_KEY" kind of stuff and he couldn't change the civics which really annoyed both of us that it couldn't be fixed.
At first I thought it was just a problem with my laptop running vista and not XP. Thus we uninstalled and tried again and nothing worked. Well I just tried installing warlords by itself and this same problem occured, but I did everything Sam_Yeager said to do and after reinstalling vanilla and warlords it works perfectly. I'm not sure that BTS would work if it was now installed, but I am happy to at least have warlords working properly. Thanks again :D

I have the exact same problem. I see this thread is from a few years back, and there doesn't seem to be a solution. Did you happen to buy your machine in Asia?

Top Bottom