Help with Custom Leader and Trait

krisslanza

Chieftain
I've been working on making a new leader for Rome, and while I've been referencing other mods to figure out a lot of it, there's two things I can't seem to find:

1. How do I actually add an image to Civ6? I see its in .tex and .dds format, but I have no clue how those work or how to make them, and referencing other mods doesn't help me figure this bit out at all.

2. For this custom leader, my friend suggested giving the leader an ability like Saladin's that lets them buy Cultural buildings instead at that tenth discount, but is that actually possible? I don't see Saladin's modifier in the Modifier table anywhere, so I guess it might be something I'd have to make manually?

1. Short answer (which may suit if you're technically minded):

Get Gimp 2 and the DDS plugin for that.

Get your image into Gimp 2. Set mode to RGB. Export as DDS in format RGBA8. Apart from the format the defaults should suffice.

Import that file using Asset Editor setting class to UserInterface. I think you have to do this twice: Once as FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_YOURLEADERNAME and once as LEADER_YOURLEADERNAME_NEUTRAL because I haven't worked out how to duplicate an item within ModBuddy yet.

Use Add Existing Item to get the DDS and TEX files generated (they're already in the mod's Textures folder) into the mod.

I think from there you only have to change the text in FallbackLeaders.artdef, LeaderFallbacks.xlp and UILeaders.xlp and set <Portrait> in your config.xml.
2. In Leaders.xml trait TRAIT_LEADER_RIGHTEOUSNESS_OF_FAITH leads to four more traits. I'm not sure which of those you want.

1. Short answer (which may suit if you're technically minded):

Get Gimp 2 and the DDS plugin for that.

Get your image into Gimp 2. Set mode to RGB. Export as DDS in format RGBA8. Apart from the format the defaults should suffice.

Import that file using Asset Editor setting class to UserInterface. I think you have to do this twice: Once as FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_YOURLEADERNAME and once as LEADER_YOURLEADERNAME_NEUTRAL because I haven't worked out how to duplicate an item within ModBuddy yet.

Use Add Existing Item to get the DDS and TEX files generated (they're already in the mod's Textures folder) into the mod.

I think from there you only have to change the text in FallbackLeaders.artdef, LeaderFallbacks.xlp and UILeaders.xlp and set <Portrait> in your config.xml.
2. In Leaders.xml trait TRAIT_LEADER_RIGHTEOUSNESS_OF_FAITH leads to four more traits. I'm not sure which of those you want.

Thank you! As I thought I did need an external program for the images, but I wasn't entirely sure.

For #2, my friend was suggesting for this Leader, to give them a discount on buildings within the Theater District, like Saladin has the discount to buildings in the Holy Site. However, I'm thinking I might have to manually add this in, because I don't think there's any modifier that reduces the buyout cost, in gold, for Theater District buildings?

I'm thinking I might have to manually add this in
I think you're right. The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to create replacements for the buildings. That's a non-trivial exercise though for just a discount. I did it for all three Campus buildings for my Borg mod. The bulk of the work is in Landmarks.artdef, particularly in making them all appear in the District without an annoying big red exclamation mark appearing instead of the base graphics (the non-buildings graphics) regardless of which combinations of buildings exist, and remember that you can capture cities with some of the buildings already and vice versa.

Is there a way to make a modifier to enable, say, every city to build ONLY a Theater District and ignore the population limit? Like Germany's effect, but only for a specific District.

Top Bottom