Help with naval battles

Jorge

Yo mismo
The other day I was playing a game in which I was at war with a strong civilization. They were the Vikings and were conquering their neighbours the Americans, that have very nice cities but no militar power. So the Viking were becoming more and more powerful, so I decided to invade them. Between their big island and mine there was a quite big ocean, so the only way to attack them was having naval superiority. They had some battleships and submarines patrolling, but they were not veterans so my battleships were superior. They had already discovered rocketry, so they had cruise missiles.

What I did was the following. I prepared an army composed by battleships, AEGIS cruisers and transports with troops to make the invasion. My idea was to have stacks of one battleship, one AEGIS cruiser and one transport together. In this way, if they attacked me whit battleships or submarines, my battleship would defend the stack. If they attacked me with cruise missiles, my AEGIS would protect me (note that when a stack of troops is attacked the one with best defend skill is used to defend the stack).

What was my surprise that when they started to attack me with cruise missiles it was the battleship and not the AEGIS that they attacked!!! The first cruise missile always hit my battleship, and all the following the AEGIS cruiser. The problem was that when after the cruise missiles they attacked me with a battleship, mine was almost dead because of the first cruise missile and I lost the whole stack.

After a while I realized what was happening: my veteran battleships had 12+50%=18 defense, and my veteran AEGIS cruiser only 8+50%=12. I though that versus air unit the AEGIS would defend the stack because they have a x2 multiplier, but the program doesn't seem to have this into account!!! So always the first cruise missile hitted the battleship and then the following the AEGIS because the battleship was almost without hit points.

Some one else have noticed this big mistake in the game? How can I safely led a navy through an ocean if the enemy have both battleship/submarines and cruise missiles?? Any idea?

ainwood may be right on this one. The later versions of the game do take the AEGIS bonus into account when picking the primary defender of a stack of ships.

As for your strategy, it is the right way to go, tho I would use larger groups. Say 3 AEGIS, 2 battleships, and a whole pile of loaded transports together. Send out a few subs with cruise missiles, too. Use the missiles to sink the AI battleships en route.

Yes, you both are rigth. :) Yesterday I tried and repeated the game with the patch and this time my invasion was a complete success. The idea of using bigger stacks is also good because one battleship can be sink if is attacked by two or three enemy submarines, but using two or more battleships in the stack this become very very difficult. Thanks a lot!! :lol:

Top Bottom