Help with worldbuilder

jaygrem

Chieftain
I apologize in advance if there is a more appropriate place to post this but I just stumbled upon this site and it seems like it would be helpful.

Up until three days ago I was able to play Civ 5 (G&K) and run the World Builder from SDK perfectly fine. However, I began getting an error message when I went to load the world builder. It would then lock me out of the game as well. I went through the Steam support options with no luck (their attempts were more aimed at the issue with getting into the game than World Builder). The issue, I think, is with SDK/World Builder.

This is what happens:

As long as I never open SKD/World Builder I can play the game fine. I can start a game and exit it, start it and exit it as often as I want without an issue.

However, once I try to open World Builder it give me an error message and tells me I must close Civ 5 before running World Builder. I am NEVER running the game when I try this, BTW. Once that error appears, I can't even launch the game as it tells me it is already running. It will not even let me exit Steam as it says the game must be shut down.

I've gone to the task manager can closed all associated files with no luck. The only option I have at that point is restarting the computer. After that, I can go in and out of the game like before as long as I don't open the World Builder.

I've tried loading the game and also the world builder from the steamapps/common folder with the same results as above. I've uninstalled SDK and re-installed it only to get the same error message.

Based on what I have gathered from various forums there seems to be issues with SDK when the game is updated but that doesn't appear to be something that has happened within the last few days. The time stamps for that issue range from mid 2010 to a few issues at the beginning of March 2013.

I did go a while without playing the game (6 months or so) and recently revisited after the fiasco that was the lastest Sim City launch (it inspired me to come back to this game AND SC4). Perhaps this is an issue that everybody occurred at some point that I'm just behind on.

Any advice or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I've gone to the task manager can closed all associated files with no luck.

Have you tried to kill the CivilizationV.exe process? This should work.

Yeah, I killed it and a Steam file. I tried shutting off all Civ/Steam associated files. I searched Yahoo for the issue and discovered this page. Then searched the site and saw the technical support thread. I reposted this there. At least two others have experienced the same issue over the last few days. Its nice not to feel so alone, lol.

Top Bottom