• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Hiawatha vs Deity (by Moriarte)

Moriarte

Immortal
Welcome!

I've fired up a game of civ yesterday morning, and it was finished late in the afternoon. ;) Incidentally, i was recording it as well, so, now you can have a look how domination game on Saturday morning may look like.

Enjoy.

Link to video.

Here is the link to playlist.

You make it look so easy, I love it. :)

Thanks and like dragon said: keep them coming!

Another clinical win, well done!

There were only 2 decisions over the course of the game that I would maybe question. First is using the GE on the Kremlin rather than using it on Neuschwanstein (for the happiness earlier) or saving it for the switch you knew you were soon making and rushing the Prora with it. Personally I'm just not a fan of the Kremlin it pales in comparison to its 2 "cousins" (SoL and Prora) even if you're planning on using some Armor. Maybe for late era starts? With the number of Cavs you had available (at the time) for upgrade I just don't think burning the GE for "1 free Social Policy" was the most efficient use.

The other thing I was wondering about was not picking "Elite Forces" as one of your first Autocracy Tenets given the amount of bombers you were employing (since airforces rarely operate at 100% health even with self-repair). Granted, this is a very minor nitpick since none of the AI had anything remotely capable of slowing down your aerial wrecking ball. :p

Just minor musings on my part. Keep up the great vids, looking forward to the next playlist.

Hey, Brevity. You're right. At this point at the game i wasn't thinking straight (10 hour marathon), so late game ideologies, happiness, policies were a complete shipwreck. Should have picked Neuschwanstein or Prora instead, agreed. Same thing about autocracy choices.. I just picked first ones i saw. I should probably take longer breaks between sessions. :D

This is a great LP. Thanks for posting it! I am still watching it and am learning a lot. I play immortal and am hoping to move up to diety soon.

I was totally with you in the first few videos on your strategy for city placement. My problem is that I go crazy when the immortal/diety AI nabs those great spots, and I end up attacking too early... usually right when the AI civ starts spamming its unique units.

Cool - will take a look. I also recently rolled Hiawatha for the first time. I noticed a bug with the forest/roads thingy. After engineering you don't get the benefit of a bridge when crossing a river if the tile next to the river is a forest.

Thanks also for this one. Another one well done. How did you find Hiawatha? Personally I think he's a bit meh. And what I really couldn't figure out is how he's often the runaway when the AI plays him. Must be on the personality coding.

And sorry to double post on the topic, but more veteran acumen on Rome: "We're friends, right? Right? Wrong! One can never be friends with Augustus Caesar..."

Thanks for posting these Moriarte -- you've made my morning coffee highly enjoyable the past few weeks. I've learned some things, and like both your play-style and LP-style. :goodjob:

:coffee:

- I find that I have to annex more cities in Autocracy once "militarism" is opened (happiness from Barracks, Armories, Mil Acads) since puppeted cities don't build them. If you get the courthouse tenet this strengthens the late game annexation option further.

- Too bad Boudicca didn't put up more of a fight at the end. With all her oil + large cities I was hoping for a good brawl. I blame you, Moriarte, for too slick diplomacy. :p

- I think you didn't maximize the Iroquois forest == road ability in the midgame (largely useful to save a few GPT). Obviously not a big deal. I probably wouldn't have cut quite as many forests either. Eg, the fur camp tile trades 1 hammer -> 1 food initially but you sacrifice the extra hammer from a longhouse later. Possibly the chopped hammers still make lumberjacking the correct move.

- OT: Does anyone know if the "Elite Forces" tenet stacks with the Japanese "Bushido" UA?

Yet again very nice LP. Been watching these to move to Deity, I was immortal player in GnK and just recently game back to Civ V.
If you don't mind I would like to ask few questions:

1. Both in this and your Japan LP video you had Venice as a close neighbour and sea / city states shielding you from the world. Since I don't really like rerolling games multiple times (I'm not saying you are doing that), what can be done when you spawn in the middle of pangaea with close neighbours such as Rome/Mongols etc?
2. What do you do when you don't get luxuries in the seven tile radius you mentioned in the first part of this LP? My problem almost always is that luxuries are either non-existant or would require me to settle quite close to AI which always leads to T50-70 DoW and me losing that city.
3. In my latest game William spawned 10 tiles from my capital and settled his second starting city towards me. I settled my first city AWAY from him and he still got pissed and soon DoWed me. I managed to hold him off but the early inevitable (yes I tried to bribe him attack others/others attack him) warring lead me to trail in science. What do you do when you can't reach the AI in tech by mediaval / reneissance?

As far as I know I got the basics right. I'm getting out to the world, doing city state quests, stealing workers from neighbours, timing 4 cities + NC around T83-93 and all that. It just seems to me that sometimes the map works so heavily against you at least I don't stand a snowballs chance in Hell if the AI decides im the only viable target.

Would absolutely LOVE to see Deity handled in a non-favorable position with pissed off warmongers as neighbours and no extra luxes near capital.

Yet again very nice LP. Been watching these to move to Deity, I was immortal player in GnK and just recently game back to Civ V.
If you don't mind I would like to ask few questions:

1. Both in this and your Japan LP video you had Venice as a close neighbour and sea / city states shielding you from the world. Since I don't really like rerolling games multiple times (I'm not saying you are doing that), what can be done when you spawn in the middle of pangaea with close neighbours such as Rome/Mongols etc?
2. What do you do when you don't get luxuries in the seven tile radius you mentioned in the first part of this LP? My problem almost always is that luxuries are either non-existant or would require me to settle quite close to AI which always leads to T50-70 DoW and me losing that city.
3. In my latest game William spawned 10 tiles from my capital and settled his second starting city towards me. I settled my first city AWAY from him and he still got pissed and soon DoWed me. I managed to hold him off but the early inevitable (yes I tried to bribe him attack others/others attack him) warring lead me to trail in science. What do you do when you can't reach the AI in tech by mediaval / reneissance?

As far as I know I got the basics right. I'm getting out to the world, doing city state quests, stealing workers from neighbours, timing 4 cities + NC around T83-93 and all that. It just seems to me that sometimes the map works so heavily against you at least I don't stand a snowballs chance in Hell if the AI decides im the only viable target.

Would absolutely LOVE to see Deity handled in a non-favorable position with pissed off warmongers as neighbours and no extra luxes near capital.

Have you seen light cleric's china LP? Check youtube. He rolled exactly the situation you described: jammed between Greece, Maya and Rome, if i remember right, and got DoW'ed around t.50.

In short, you need to build units if you have to. The fighting part isn't that hard anyway, and, eventually you will catch up in science. Sometimes i finished games without ever catching up to AI. They were domination games.

Very interesting ... though the 20 minute pause there where you consider picking the camps food +1 pantheon was a little painful, given Boudicca picked that one :).

I got through turn 160 or so and, well, some observations:

1) Damn, you're good.
2) The setup turned out to be pretty OP in retrospect -- shielded from attack in most directions, with 5 luxes plus (very importantly) doubles to sell, and coastal cap next to a mountain and with good production. I probably would have advance settled on China and gotten smacked for it ...
3) The "Get a loan from a friendly civ" trick seems like an exploit but anything it takes on Deity, right? I love it, will have to use.
4) The "Bargain with them to declare war, then immediately denounced and declare war yourself" is REALLY mean. Yeah, may have to do that as well.
5) Great city micromanagement. Is the idea that hammers never carry over, so you want builds to be exact if possible?

Questions:
1) What's with clicking on workers when they are 1 turn away from finishing what they are working on, then clicking again, completing the build? Is this something that actually makes a difference? Don't workers finish work before calculating what a city gets?
2) I admire how naked Rome was when you attacked; why do you think it was so short on units? Just because of the war against Pachoulli?
3) If Rome doesn't have Notre Dame + Chicken Itza, what do you do about happiness during the rest of the war?
4) I might have skipped past this a bit -- did you have a spy in Rome to see what they were up to? How did it help?

Looking forward to watching the rest!

What's with clicking on workers when they are 1 turn away from finishing what they are working on, then clicking again, completing the build? Is this something that actually makes a difference? Don't workers finish work before calculating what a city gets?

Yes, just a micromanagement habit, so i can see the "clear" picture before my turn ends. If you chop the forest that way you will see the exact number of hammers you gained and be able to switch the current build, maybe, or adjust by selecting a different tile to end a turn with. This isn't game breaking or decisive, just my way of immersion, i guess. :) And, of course, every little bit counts.

Is the idea that hammers never carry over, so you want builds to be exact if possible

The idea is that hammers do carry over, so, most of the time you will enjoy the overflow. Food carry over as well. Hammers also degrade after certain duration of inactivity. I think it is about 20 turns until you start losing hammers.

If Rome doesn't have Notre Dame + Chicken Itza, what do you do about happiness during the rest of the war?

That's the trick, always. Plan your conquest path through unique luxuries, happiness wonders and gold - rich cities. If you can't, you can either risk doing it in unhappiness, or, go for science vic., or, wait until you have enough happiness to proceed.

I might have skipped past this a bit -- did you have a spy in Rome to see what they were up to? How did it help?

Sorry, the whole thing was a while ago, i don't remember. :D I probably payed Augustus to attack few civs, that usually reduces their army. Especially, if they fail.

I don't know when they patched it but I tried the loan trick last night and the bastard charged me interest!! 51 gold for 2gpt. Hmph.

Excellent vids! I've sworn off solo gaming for the month of December, but watching you was almost as good. I can't wait for the month to be over so I can try out the tricks I learned from these. I've managed to beat the AI on Deity only once, and it was with England on an archipelago map, so it doesn't really count.

I don't think I've been aggressive enough in paying the AIs to fight each other. When January comes, I guess I'll find out.

Top Bottom