1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hidden Nationality Observations

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by Pounder, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

2. Pounder

Here is a pick showing the units on a tile with the Sea Cannons (the Hidden Nationality Immobile Units), they belong to no one since the Civ has been destroyed. I then moved miltary unit (unit with attack) onto the tile with the Sea Cannon, then I moved my workers onto the tile to clean up the ruins and build irrigation and roads. The Persians then decided to move there military units onto the tile and now we all occupy the tile together.

For a test, I then abandoned the near by city so I could build a city with the settler and the Sea Cannons went away and I assume that the Persian units went back to their capital. The new city happened to get the same name as the city I abadoned.

What gets odd is I can't add any more offensive units to the tile after the AI has moved onto the tile, where the AI seems to have no problem adding more units, so you better get your settler on the tile with your offensive units before the AI does otherwise you will be blocked from building the city.

BTW, Once an AI goes on this tile with an offensive unit, you can't use the goto command to get off the tile you must step off to an adjacent tile and then you can use the goto command from the adjacent tile.

3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

If the unit is neutral ... wonder if there's a way to preplace it. Would be a way to use things like the animated waterfall unit without accidentally starting wars.

4. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

An observation:
    Discovered just now that invisible, hidden nationality-units with 0 in attack/defense will cause a crash to desktop if an AI non-combat unit (worker in this case) tries to enter the same tile. It doesn't crash when a AI combat-unit enters the tile.

When the human tries to send his worker to the same tile as a invisible, hidden nationality AI-unit, the worker simply refuses to obey - like Pounder described earlier.

Is this a known bug?

EDIT: The hidden nationality-unit is marked as a king-unit, in case this can have something to do with the crash.

5. Pounder

I think that there was a discussion about that several years ago.

O.T.

As well, since you brought up workers, there was a worker loop problem that occurred (usually later in the game) with automated workers where is seemed like the game hung (not crashed). It is like the worker never ends it's turn and the game would continue to loop through the units that haven't ended their turn and would not come back to your control.

To this day I always have one unit that is on wait, not fortify or skip turn, so that the game always comes back to my control.

6. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

O.T. reply:I too have the habit of a "waiting" unit in my capitol, my reason(s) is/r to monitor build progress there, and a reminder to save, check treaties and sci level, and re-save if needed.

7. zo-zo

zo-zo _________

Are there any peculiarities observed if you used a King Unit with Hidden Nationality.

I know it sounds odd but I'm looking at some one Civ only upgrade paths, thus the King Unit is necessary and I would like all the upgraded units to be Kings as well and some Hidden Nationality.

I am assuming all the above posts would apply, just wondering if anyone could foresee any potential show stoppers.

8. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

In Civinator's CCM several units (some of "HN") have a King "flag" as a result they all (mostly) show as "Ruler" when they upgrade (a rt click shows given name). A simple matter to rename during play.

9. Pounder

One thing I have noticed with Armies that is notable.

1) I loaded A Hidden Nationality King Unit into an army, the army remained hidden nationality. Can attack without starting a war.

2) I loaded a second Hidden Nationality King Unit that was the same unit type as the first into the same army and the army remained hidden nationality. Can attck without starting a war.

3) If I loaded two Hidden Nationality King Units that are different unit types into the army, the army is no longer hidden nationality and will start a war if it attacks a rivel unit.

10. Blue Monkey

Could you post the specific unit types you tried?

11. Pounder

12. Blue Monkey

So two Ashes would stay hidden, but an Ashe and a Drunk wouldn't. When you said "types" I thought maybe it had something to do with flags other than the King flag.

13. Pounder

14. Blue Monkey

Your discovery would be useful for many scenarios. For example, in a Viet Nam scenario guerrillas could join up, but adding a regular uniformed unit would reveal the nationality.

15. Pounder

16. Pounder