Highlighted Miasma Clouds

EpsilonJackal

Chieftain
Hey there, I haven't modded before so this is just a quick, albeit messy, improvement (for me, anyways) to make Miasma tiles easier to distinguish.

Example image 1:
Spoiler :

Example image 2:
Spoiler :

I'm unsure whether people will find the new butts annoying or not, so apologies in advance but do note I have no modding experience; I can't do much in the main scheme of things, but nonetheless I will be curious what you all think.

The .dds file is attached to this post, download it and:
  • Toss it into Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets
  • Make sure your config.ini has LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1

View attachment Highlighted Miasma Clouds.zip

Nutty also made some recolored miasma in this thread It's more subtle than yours. Yours more visible ;) Guess we have some choices now.

Edit : and someone made some rainbow colored miasma in the same thread.

Nutty also made some recolored miasma in this thread It's more subtle than yours. Yours more visible ;) Guess we have some choices now.

Edit : and someone made some rainbow colored miasma in the same thread.

Mhm! I came across that thread before I made my own. The two recolored ones were just as hard to distinguish. But Pintocat's rainbow variant was spot-on and did the job well; unfortunately, I'm OCD and picky as all hell. His texture had weird clipping triangle-shapes that stuck out like a sore thumb if you looked at the cloud from a certain angle (and I ran into that problem too when making this) so I decided to resort to using a single color instead.

Nutty, as far as i can see, your miasma uses the basic texture recolored including the alpha. This one uses a totally different texture with totally white alpha thus the "hole blob" look. Don't want this to sound rude as i appreciate all the attempts at making this sucker more visible effort but i really can't think of a better term :blush:
I made a quick test copying the original miasma alpha to this one and got something quite similar to your own recolored versions. Some medium ground might be to change the alpha layer so it has more visible areas but not keeping it fully visible over the entire tile.

Guess we'll soon have plenty of miasma options. Now if only we could use different miasmas on different biomes.

I had a look at the screen shots and found the difference didn't look that big but i didn't test it so maybe it's more visible ingame. Will have to really test it but i was simply suggesting there was a third possible approach.

When i talked about your mod i was referring to the first red and purple miasmas, not the enlarged miasma. Looks like once again i failed to explain clearly my point :blush:

This made me laugh, remind me of the pimples in the dx9 version of Civ V ... but larger!

Top Bottom