History of Democratic America: 1860 - 1930

Civ2player

Prince
This is copied story of mine from Civ 2: Stories and Tales, but I have adapted it for Civ 3. I'll still be updating my other game too. (This doesn't count as me playing as America. :mischief:)

The United States is in turmoil by 1855, the economy, well, isn't an economy, and in 1860, the people revolt and elect a democratic government. This election ends 1380 years of Monarchy. The new president is Paul Harriet, and he offers radical reformation of the failing economy and the military.

The Republic of the United Kingdom's economy fails in 1862 sending shock waves around the world, and hard hitting the US.

India is engaged in a border war with the French over disputed colonial territories.

Germany and Russia are increasingly working together on diplomatic and military missions.

China is in a state of utter turmoil, revolts in cities and the Communist government has imposed martial law on most cities.

The Mayans, Aztecs, Greeks, Spanish and Zulu's dominate Africa, each one wanting to assert their own power.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting with Congress, Washington D.C., United States.
November, 1862

"Quiet! It is now my honor to welcome the President of the United States, Mr. Paul Harriet!" Said a man standing near the podium in which the President was about to deliver a speech. Applause filled the room.

Paul Harriet stepped out from behind a door and took his place on the podium.
Congress was still.
"Members of Congress... we are facing inevitable economic destruction, we are facing a military breakdown. I've come here to discuss to you my policies for reforming this badly damaged economy of ours."

Battle of Nice, Nice Island, Off the coast of the Indian subcontinent.
November, 1862

"Fire!" Said an Indian commander. Indian forces claimed Nice was ceeded to India under the Treaty of Moscow, years before. French forces were accumulating on the Island, and putting up a fight the Indians knew they would win, but that didn't stop them.

"Sir, sir, The French just took vital supply roads from us and pillaged them!" An Indian soldier shouted to his commander, as bombs and shots rang out over the place.

"Dammit. Continue the attack, use all we've got."

German/Russian Meeting, Moscow, Russia
November 1862

"We will very happily continue to accept Trade from Russia and military arms from Russia."
A German ambassador said to a Russian ambassador.
"And we also will happily continue to accept your oil." The Russian ambassador said.
"One more thing... the German government is interested in acquiring new territories that aren't claimed at this time..." The German ambassador pulled out a map.

"Light blue indicates territories in which we wish to acquire... and dark blue indicates the German empire as of now."
"Uh, that territory, Greenland, is occupied by the British Empire..." The Russian ambassador said.
"Oh yes... that's the one territory we wish to acquire that is already... part of a nation. That will prove a little problem."
"So... you're suggesting going to war with Britain for Greenland?"
"It's oil reserves are huge. The German people want and need it."
The Russian sat still for a minute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meeting with Congress, Washington D.C., United States.
November, 1862

"So, with these new policies for the economy and the military, the final answer is up to you, Congress." Pres. Paul Harriet and announced a new solution to the economic crisis: The construction of markets, banks and freights, opening trade to neighbors, and asking Congress from 3500 gold to go towards Military expenditures, the refining of Oil, trading of gold, silver, bronze and gems to nearby neighbors and international trade partners also.
"You will be required to vote tomorrow."

Next Day

Congress Hall was noisy, many members of each city were still deciding what to vote on the new policies.
"Alright, alright! Please open the paper on your desks and vote, then place it in the ballot box on the podium."

Meanwhile

The President of the United States was having a meeting with his Army Generals.
"So, General Mackhauer, what is the current international situation?"
"Well, Mr. President, diplomatic envoys in the United Kingdom have announced they too are having massive reforms of the economic situation over there, by means of international trade. The German empire and the Russian empire have renewed their trade treaties, but nothing more too report there and the French have won control of their overseas territory, Nice, from the Indians. China is still deep inside it's internal crisis."
"General Hosstin, how is our army coping and how are our overseas bases coping?"
"Sir, our army has basically collapsed with the lack of funding from the previous Government. We can't maintain our overseas bases, and, unless we get more funding we'll have to pull them back."
". .. .. .. .."
"Sir we need at least 4,500 gold to maintain our military."
"We don't have that amount. This recession has hit us hard."
"Then we'll pull our bases out of Greenland, England and China."
"Okay. But once we have enough gold we send them back."
"Yes sir."

The Kremlin, Moscow, Russia
November 1862

"They want war with Britain?" The President of Russia asked.
"Yes sir. They want the oil reserves." The ambassador said.
"American military bases are staged in there too."
"We received word that because of the recession they're pulling them out of Greenland."
"Well we can't let them go to war with Britain for Greenland, because the US would probably
get involved anyway."
The two Russians sat still.
White House Congress Approval Meeting, Washington D.C., United States.
December 1862

"Sir, As Congress has now approved your package for the economy and military, we can now immediately begin to reform the economy and budget the military to fit it's needs, which means we no longer have to pull out our bases from overseas areas." A Congress spokesman said to the US President.

"Thankyou Mr. Congressman. Thankyou Congress. Let me tell you, this package is not perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect package. But this package will prevail in what is needed at this time. We still have lengths to go before our economy and the world economy are in shape. This package is the beginning. We still have lengths to go before our military are in shape. But this package is the beginning. Our economy, our people, our government can begin again to take shape into a great country and then can we begin to prevail in the world." The President said.
Congress applauded loudly.
December 1862

"Notify the United States of the crisis. We can't let the Germans do this." The President of Russia stated.
"But sir, This will end our co-operation with Germany, which we need..." The Russian diplomat said.
"Well we have to do something. I'm not prepared to go to war with Britain and America over Greenland's reserves but if Germany want's to do that then may god help them."
"We could call a meeting with Germany."
"Yes. Do that."
"I'll get right on it, sir."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
German/Russian Meeting, The Kremlin, Moscow, Russia
December 1862

"Mr. President the oil exchanges that would occur are highly valuable to both the Germans and the Russians. I don't --"
"That's not the point. I'm not prepared to make my nation go to war with America and Britain over oil reserves. That's a violation of international law and the Russian empire is not prepared for such a war." The Russian President sternly spoke.
"Well then I guess the German Empire can not rely on Russia."
"You can always rely on Russia with trading, and militarily, but not when the war is illegal."
The Russian President and the German President sat for a moment, carefully analyzing the fact that a 40 year old trading relationship between two nations was almost compromised.
"The last thing we want is for this alliance to end, Mr. President." The Russian said.
"That is the case with us too, Mr. President. Russia and Germany have a long history. We've worked together on countless missions and several trade treaties have been established. We wish not to compromise this relationship, but domestic matters in Germany over a shortage of oil and refusal from other countries to start trading in the amounts Germany so sorely needs have given us no option Mr. President, than to enter Greenland." The German President said.
The Russian president sighed.
"You know we can not help militarily or we face two wars, which we are incapable of winning, even with Germany's help."
"Then so be it Mr. President. We understand, but we will go ahead with our ambitions in the Greenland."
The Russian president nodded.
"Alright Mr. President."
The German president stood up, shook hands with the Russian president and left.

After the German president had closed the doors to the meeting room, the Russian president said to his ambassador:

"Inform the United States."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oval Office, White House, Washington D.C., United States
December 1862

President Paul Harriet was sitting in the Oval Office, one month into his first term as President of the United States, when he received a telegram from the Russians.

GREENLAND IS GOING TO BE INVADED
BY THE GERMANS
SUGGEST YOU AVERT THE CRISIS
WE'RE DOING EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER
TO TRY AND STOP THE GERMANS​

The President sat and read for a moment. He cycled over many things. War with Germany, for starters. One month into office and already facing a war. But he was also surprised by the Russian reaction of notifying the United States. He wondered about the Russo-German co-operation and that it would end upon Germany's knowing of the Russian reaction. Then he wondered about the sentence "WE'RE DOING EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER
TO TRY AND STOP THE GERMANS" and what this meant, whether they were going to go to war with Germany or try and solve things diplomatically. Then the US's head ambassador slammed the door open, walked in, and closed it.

"Sir, sir, we're getting reports of the German navy heading out of their docks!" He said,
"How many?"
"Reports of about 40."
"Commission 45 of our ships and I want you to bring me a telegraph."
"Yes sir." The ambassador left.

He returned a few minutes later, with a telegraph.
The President began typing.

ATTN GERMAN GOVERNMENT
THIS IS THE UNITED STATES
WE HAVE LEARNED OF YOUR INTENTIONS IN GREENLAND
AVERT NOW OR FACE WAR
WE HAVE SENT NAVY AND TROOPS​

And he sent the message.
German Government Building, Berlin, Germany
December 1862

"Sir, Sir!" A German ambassador shouted to the President as he ran to the President's office.
"What is it?"
"This Telegram, sir! From the United States!"
The German President read it.
"How did they find out?"
"My guess is Russia sir."
The German President sat still for a moment.
"Continue sending the troops."
"Yes sir."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 1862

"Sir the German's know it's us."
"How do you know?" The Russian President asked.
"This telegram."
ATTN RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT
WE KNOW YOU WARNED THE UNITED STATES
THIS WILL BE MET WITH IMMEDIATE AND UNFORTUNATE CONSEQUENCES
WE HEREBY DECLARE THE RUSSO-GERMAN OIL TRADING DEAL NULL AND VOID
AS WITH THE RUSSO-GERMAN CLOSER ECONOMIC RELATIONS ACT
AS WITH THE RUSSO-GERMAN ARMS TRADING ACT​
". .. .. .. .!" The Russian President screamed.
"Sir we can still offer help to Germany."
"And face war? I don't think so."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 Downing St., England, United Kingdom
December 1862

"Mr. Prime Minister, we have received word of an offensive German Naval convoy heading toward Greenland. The United States has already sent 45 Navy ships to intervene." The English Ambassador said.
"What about us?" The Prime Minister replied.
"Sir, we have 210 Naval ships active and ready to be commissioned."

WILL BE UPDATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
U.S./U.K. Military Base, Greenland
January 1863

"Attention! Attention!" Colonel Dominic Flownders of the U.S. Army screamed at the top of his lungs to the hundreds of soldiers packed in the bases' cafeteria. The soldiers stopped talking and turned towards the Sergeant.
"We are facing an immediate invasion from German forces, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, get your weapons and be ready to fight, soldiers! American and British help is on the way and these Germans will be run down!"

A sound of shock and surprise filled the cafeteria as unprepared soldiers scrambled to retrieve their weapons from their ammunition depots. First Lieutenant Jack Gamribal scrambled to get his weapon, a M-1891 Infantry Rifle. He retrieved and went to the captain of his platoon.
"What's going on sir?"
"Germans are invading. There isn't much information except that this isn't a drill. US and British help is on the way."
Jack was stationed on a large cliff looking over into the sea. German ships were bound to enter this area. The rest of his platoon were stationed at the cliff also. He looked to his left and saw ships leaving the Greenland island to set up a perimeter and first meet the German ships. He waited.
10 minutes. Fifteen. Twenty. Then, out of the distance, he saw a fleet of Grey ships fade into view. Germans.
They came closer and closer, and then he heard a captain shout 'FIRE!' and the US/UK ships fired shots into the distance, missing the German ships.

WILL BE UPDATED

Okay I won't drop the story.

Jack Gamribal was watching the US and UK ships fight the invading German ships, with little success. Four German ships had already rolled onto the Greenland shores. The Germans were shouting to each other, unloading more troops, unloading more weaponry.

"Shoot them!" Captain Ryan Poralty, the captain of his platoon, shouted to his men. Guns went off from the cliff. The Germans were directly below, unloading themselves and were taken by surprise, although they reacted quick. Jack aimed his gun but he didn't fire. He wanted a better vantage point. He went into crouch position, and quickly scuttled along the cliff, more to the right. This was better, he thought. He went back into prone and aimed his gun. Two Germans in his sights, crouching by the ship they were unloading from. Jack fired twice, and they both fell. Four bullets came Jack's way but they missed. He fired three shots, and then he had to reload.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emergency Military Situation Brief, White House, Washington D.C., United States
January 1863

"Mr. President, The German government is unresponsive." The American head Ambassador, Jason DeGuire said.
"Is there anything we can do?"
"It doesn't look like it sir."
The President turned his head to his Military Adviser, Thomas Oplan.
"What's the situation in Greenland?"
"The Germans appear to have unloaded their troops on the shores of Greenland, but for now they are being held back."
"How far away are our ships?"
"ETA 30 minutes."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 1863

"Sir, it's now official: The German's have invaded Greenland. Their being held back at this present time, and US/UK ships are 20 minutes from Greenland." The Russian Ambassador said.
"Send our ships and notify the US of our arrival, they may think we're helping the Germans."
"Yes sir."
Battle of Lyons, North-west India, Indian Sub-continent
January 1863

"Fire!" A French commander shouted. Shots rang off against the invading Indian troops. Many of them fell. The French troops advanced towards the inner-city, but the Indians were everywhere in the street and more were coming to back them up. The French were surrounded.
"Pull back! Pull back!" The French commander shouted. Troops from the French army fired a few more shots at the advancing Indians before making a hasty retreat.

"Victory!" An Indian solider shouted as the troops entered the city and fired at the fleeing French forces.
French Government Building, Paris, France
January 1863

"Sire, Our forces have lost Lyons to the Indians." The Chief Military officer said to the Monarch of France.
"Why?"
"They outnumbered us greatly, sire."
"Do we have the army to defeat them?"
"Yes."
"Send it."
"Yes, sire."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address to the Nation, U.S. Capitol Building steps, Washington D.C., United States
January 1863

Thousands had gathered to hear the US presidents' emergency address to the nation. It was to be relatively short, but they wanted to hear it. They had seen things like:

AMERICA AT WAR WITH GERMANY?
and
GERMAN FORCES ATTACK GREENLAND

In the papers and they wanted to know what was going on.

The President sat backstage, waiting for the announcement of his name. He flipped through the speech in his mind, made changes, and got ready.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States!"
Applause and loud cheering filled the sky, and the President stood up, and walked on stage. The noise intensified then died down as the President got ready to speak.

"My fellow Americans. I know you have many questions waiting to be answered. But first of all, let me start by saying this: America is not an aggressive nation. We may have faced wars in the past and we will certainly face wars in the future, but we will face diplomatics first before anything. And our people come even before that. The things you have seen in the papers are true. German forces attacked our bases and our allies bases in Greenland last month in a horrific and unprecedented attack upon our nation. They have not won, but they have not lost. The German government is unresponsive to our demands and I'm afraid that the only solution might be war against Germany. I'm afraid the only solution is war against Germany. But I'm confident we will win this war against Germany. But I know we will win this war against Germany. While hostilities have not yet opened, let me tell you, the time is near. A declaration of war against Germany made by the United States was ratified and sent at 12:30 in the afternoon on 4 February, 1863, only one week ago. The United Kingdom has ratified a declaration of war also. Our nation is at war. Our nation will not lose. Our nation will not falter. Our nation will not blunder. Our nation will win.
Thankyou, God bless you, and God bless America."

The President left the stage to a mass of cheering and applauding, despite a declaration of war.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 1863

"Sir the United States and United Kingdom are now officially at war with Germany."
The President sat still.
The Ambassador looked on.
The President closed his eyes.
"This nation is now at war with Germany."
German Presidential Building, Berlin, Germany
February 1863

The Ambassador did not enter the room with the urgency presented by the situation.
The President was yet unaware of the situation, he sat waiting for new reports.
The Ambassador entered the room quietly, slowly, with a slum face. He closed the door in a depressed manner.
"Yes?"
"Sir..."
"What?"
"Sir... the... we..."
"Spit it out."
"Russia just made an official declaration of war against us."
The President dropped his pencil. The Ambassador was very quiet.
US/UK Military Outpost, Greenland
February 1863

Jack Gamribal was in a military vehicle speeding across the Ice in Greenland, to go to the Lieutenant General's Greenland office. A Vast horizon of Ice filled every corner of Jack's view. Jack's mind knew they were at war but the land had yet to meet it. The Germans were pushing from the north but were encountering heavy resistance from the south and the US/UK troops were pushing from their left flank. German positions had stalled and allied help had arrived, there was hope.

WILL BE UPDATED

US/UK Military Training Facility, Lieutenant General's Office, Greenland
February 1863

"I just.. I can't do it. I can't kill a man." New Cadet Darren Walters explained to the Lieutenant General, George Yore.
The Lieutenant stared at him hard. Jack Gamribal had just been promoted to the rank of Captain, from First Lieutenant. He was just there when Walters came in.
"Well then explain to me, why the HELL YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE ARMY!"
"I Didn't know we'd be going to war so soon!"
"We never know when we're going to war! We didn't know this would happen! This is war! You cant sign up knowing if your going to war you'll be useless!"
"I want to leave!" Walters shouted. He was a skinny man, and obviously a sensitive man. Jack was the complete opposite; a bulky, tough man and he sure wasn't sensitive. Darren looked to the side of him, staring at Jack.
"What?" Jack asked.
"Jack." The Lieutenant General said.
"Yes, sir?"
"Teach this man to be a man."
"No! I want to leave-"
"Shut up!" Jack shouted.
Darren got a fright.

"You're in the Army now, there's no going back. And you're not going back, you can shout and scream and plead all you want, me and the Lieutenant won't have any of it. So you may as well do yourself a favor and become a man, because whether you like it or not, you're going to be killing some of those invading German's pretty damn soon. Do you want to die, Mr. Walters?"
"No, sir."
"Then shut up, follow our instructions, do the training, learn how to shoot, become a man and get your ass out there."
Darren stared at Jack like he was the devil.
"You got a problem?" Jack asked.
"N.. No sir. I'll go right away sir."
Darren stepped out of the room awkwardly and angrily.

"Nice work Mr. Gamribal." The Lieutenant General said.
"Thankyou, Sir."
United States - United Kingdom Meeting, Oval Office, White House, Washington D.C., United States
February 1863

The President and Prime Minister sat in a room with only the two of them in it.
"This whole Greenland thing..." The President of the United States said.
"It's getting out of hand." The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom replied.
"Germany has been acting up for years now."
"Agreed, and Russia's response of not helping Germany was a surprise."
"Yeah, and what more is there we can do except war? Germany is unresponsive to our demands."
"Exactly, and what do they even want with Greenland? Oil? Couldn't they propose a trade?"
"I Guess they thought we were protecting our reserves because of the military presence applied there." The US President suggested.
"Probably. But still, the action of war is extremely unnecessary."
"And they've caused us havoc too, now with the newspapers and everything reporting on our every move."
"And they're out there waiting for us."

Battlefield, Greenland
February 1863

Jack Gamribal was again speeding across the Ice in Greenland, but this time he was heading towards the battlefield. This was going to be a very intense fight between the US/UK troops and the Germans. He sat in the back of his military vehicle with a two other members of his platoon, Lance Corporal Caleb Mitchell and Corporal Hadley Johanasson.
"This sucks." Caleb said, randomly.
"Well it ain't no walk in the park." Jack replied.
"You just got promoted right?" Hadley asked Jack.
"Yeah."
"To what?"
"Captain."
"Your a commissioned officer?"
"Yep."
"Where exactly are we heading?" Caleb asked.
"To cut the Germans off at the left flank. Supposed to be a really intense fight." Jack told them.
"Ah crap."
"Just follow me when we get there." Jack said.
"Will do."
The vehicle kept droning across the horizon.
Spanish Presidential Press Conference, Madrid, Spain
February 1863

"Spanish people. Spanish citizens. The Time for action against our greatest enemy, the Zulu's has come upon us. There will be no waiting, no losing, only victory! We will not and we will refuse to lose this struggle against these enemies, these horrible oppressors. Our friends, the Greeks have realized our struggle and are going to come to our aid, as soon as the war begins. Let me tell you: The war, HAS BEGUN!"
February 1863

"We must arrive in force! What is the total number of our armed forces, General?"
The President of Russia asked his General in a meeting.
"We have 790,000 people actively ready to fight."
"Send 120,000."
"Yes sir." The General said.
"Sir, we just received word that the Spanish-Greek Coalition has declared war on the Zulus in Africa." Russia's head ambassador said.
"Hmm."
"This situation doesn't really seem to affect Russia at the moment sir, but It could become quite nasty if the rest of Africa become involved."
"Leave it for now, we have more important matters to be involved with."
"Yes sir."
WILL BE UPDATED

ok, slight problem:
Spain has a king
Russia a tsar , which is something like emperor

War list
Russia, United Kingdom and United States vs Germany
France vs India
Zulu vs Spain

Ah hell, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to update it.
-----------------------------------------------
Battlefield, Southern Greenland
February 1863

"Here they come!" Jack shouted in the open, thousands of US soldiers next to him, the horizon filling with German vehicles (yes I know they didn't have them in the 1860s :mischief: ).
"Get ready gentlemen!" Another soldier said.
All of a sudden a German bombardment unleashed itself upon the United States troops.
"Don't move!" Shouted a General.
The Germans came closer and closer and the US forces opened fire, the rifled muskets opening fire as the German's came closer. Some fell, some charged. The Germans opened fire, but ultimately most missed their targets. They were unprepared for such a war.

The Germans fell in human wave attacks, which failed as a strategy. The sounds of muskets firing filled the air, as did gunpowder as the German military were quickly and decisively defeated by the United States forces. Soon, UK and Russian forces would arrive in their huge numbers.

"There's not many left boys! Keep up the good work!"
More US muskets fired at the small number of Germans left.
----------------------------------------------
Beaufort Sea, North of Russia
"Keep it moving comrades!" Shouted a Russia sailor. Behind his ship was a massive force of Russian navy, transporting forces to Greenland for battle against the once friendly Germans. 120,000 were being dispatched, the rest would be on high alert back home.

They had heard the stories of battles against what had been described as the 'incompetent' German military.

Very engaging (and well written). Do you have screen caps to go with this?

Unfortunately most of my games are played on a different computer in my room (this one has the internet) so it would be a bit of a bother to get the screenshots on here :p Which Is why I predominantly use maps in all of my stories. (All of which only 1 has been completed o.O)

Top Bottom