HN02-A The Pacifist Power of Religion

Cosmichail said:
Hey guys feel like playing a warlords game as the Vikings. I like the idea of a Viking raping/pillaging/plundering campaign anybody game? War games seem to offer more entertainment than peaceful games. zzzzzzzzzz whoops almost nodded off there. Maybe we can come up a with theme.

HN Power of the Vikings Blood N Guts......

:viking: Did someone say Viking?

How about a continents variant where only coastal cities can be controlled. Any captured inland city must be razed and the only way inland territory can be controlled is through vassals. Victory condition would of course be conquest. :hammer:

Might provide an interesting focus on the continental invasion.

My computer is somewhat limited. (need a better video card and thinking about getting one.) 18 civs would be very slow on my machine and I would prefer standard continents as FoolontheHill suggest. I like the idea of a conqest Viking game since those Berserkers rock. (once you get Chemistry and upgrade them all it's like a deadly army that is unstoppable.)

I have found a Berserker with a couple of combat/city raider can take out an LBM easily without having to waste cats. (depends if the lbm has CD upgrades of course)

What is especially fun with the VIkings is their UB and the ability to add a navigation bonus to the ships which make them very fast .

Since I am still getting used to Warlords I would like to start it on Prince level if everybody is ok with that. I do notice that Warlords is harder as I am playing a prince game and was unadated by barbs in the beginning. If you want to play Monarch I'm game but that prince game for some reason feels like Monarch.

So I'm pitching here:

SG with the variants of having coastal cities only and razing all inner cities. (only capitol can be inland unless we load a start enough times to get a coastal start)

As soon as we get Berserkers we go to war mode and ATTACK!!!!!

Just a simple variant "conquest/coastal"

Who's game:

Sounds like:

LuvtoBuild
FoolontheHill
Cosmichail

Any others from the religious series are more than welcome to join. I noticed Codeman was looking for a Warlords game. Pigswill started his own and might be too busy. Interesting variant by the way Pigswill am lurking there.

We'll see what's more interesting or fun warring or boring pacifism.

With the gang from the Spanish The Inquisition we had a lot of fun in that one and even managed to do quite well in science.

Boring pacifism is more interesting than yet-another-conquest/ domination/ kill/ raze- game because a pacifist game without 'always peace' is unusual, certainly the pace is different coz you aint moving a couple of dozen maceman every turn but that's not a bad thing either.
As Cosmichael said I'm hosting a game (still advertising for another player so if anyone's interested, tho by this point I'd probably run it past the rest of the team first).
More to the point, I'm not yet playing warlords.

Cosmichail said:
Who's game:

Sounds like:

LuvtoBuild
FoolontheHill
Cosmichail

I'm in. I agree that warlords seems a little more difficult so I would be fine with either prince or monarch.

pigswill said:
Boring pacifism is more interesting than yet-another-conquest/ domination/ kill/ raze- game because a pacifist game without 'always peace' is unusual, certainly the pace is different coz you aint moving a couple of dozen maceman every turn but that's not a bad thing either.

I tend to be a builder and playing some of the conquest SGs has helped me break out of that shell a little bit.

I'm trying to start an SG that I think will be fairly peaceful. Variant is all financial civs on a pangea and all techs must be traded for anything at the end of each set. I'm not getting a lot of interest yet and no decision yet on whether it will be warlords or vanilla. It's here if you have the time and interest.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=188122

I am sorry, I've been very absent-minded recently because of my upcomming exams :crazyeye: I would like to make it up to you, I can play now or immediately after Cosmichail.

Go ahead omurtag and play I got sidetracked.

Very quiet turn. Some grenadiers were built, the religion was spread to malinease territory, (Mansa Musa is not deep in love with us.) Replaceable parts came on the 3rd turn, and I set the research to Physics. Unfortnuately everyone had Replaceable Parts, so no trades. The Forbidden Palace is being built at Zhou. I've noticed that we still haven't found a place for the National Epic... but I refused to take the responsability and find a place for it :)

Happiness is becoming a problem, because our citizens demand equal rights for both men and women... the usual emancipation propaganda. And Washington is showing off with a destroyer. Physics due in 6 turns. We are teching up quite fast actually, and even with 100% research, we suffer only 63 gold/turn deficit. Not bad at all!

//Offtopic
FoolontheHill, I've recently stumbled upon your (I think) profile at chessgames.com Glad to see that you also enjoy the ancient game :)

omurtag said:
//Offtopic
FoolontheHill, I've recently stumbled upon your (I think) profile at chessgames.com Glad to see that you also enjoy the ancient game :)

Nope. It isn't me. I stink at chess. :blush:

Yes I totally forgot again DOH......

Will play tonight.

An uneventful turnset other than a good trading session.

Turn 1

Renegotiate some deals and increase our deal with JC by +1 gold

Also with Cyrus as well +1 gold

Gao builds Observatory start forge

Turn 2

Zhou starts a bank

Turn 3

zzzzz

Turn 4

zzzz

Turn 5

Bangalore starts a bank
Gao start Buddhist temple

Turn 6

We discover Physics

Turn 7

Immediately check with all the other civs to see if we can get some techs…..for Physics

First we check with Cathy and she offers the following:

Then check with Hatty

Check with Julius and trade for Constitution to get closer to democracy to deal with unhappiness.

We get the following techs for Physics:
Nationalism
Liberalism
Rifling
Constitution

I started research on democracy but had started on biology for two turns. The reason I changed to democracy is I changed civics to Representation and most of the cities went uphappy. I had to boost the culture for now but once we can change civics I would change back to HR. We could just wait until democracy which is about 7 turns now. It is already discovered by 2 or 3 civs so might have some trading value.

The remaining turns were uneventful and finished at 1810.

The Save

Lots of tech trades. Unhappiness is going to remain an issue until/unless we get hit singles/movies/shows. At least we can upgrade some of our units while we're waiting.

Cosmichail said:
We get the following techs for Physics:
Nationalism
Liberalism
Rifling
Constitution

Good trading! I bet that helped cut the tech deficit down.

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> UP!
pigswill -> on deck
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill ->
omurtag ->
Cosmichail -> just played

I can't check the save right now but it sounds like we've made some progress. I'm doubting we have any shot at winning a tech race but if we keep plugging away at Mass Media, we might still have a shot at the diplo win before Cyrus or someone else blasts off into space.

I'll try to play tonight.

Pre-Turn
Happiness is certainly a big problem in the empire. The lack of emancipation seems to be the biggest issue but the lack of some happy buildings prevents us from compensating much with culture. I set science to 60% and culture to 40%.

Turn 1
:sleep:

Turn 2

Turn 3
Hatty pays us a visit and wants to trade her corn for our deer. Sounded like a decent deal so I agreed. I decided to look for other trades and such. I noticed MM had a DP with Cyrus and one with Hatty. I figured it wouldn't hurt for us to get some of our own so I signed DPs with Cathy, JC, and Cyrus.

Turn 4

Turn 5

Turn 6

Turn 7

Turn 8
We discover Democracy. I revolted to Emancipation, Free Speech, and Free Religion. I left Representation since the small beaker boost might help some and we don't need Hereditary Rule for the whole empire. We might want to switch back to HR though at some point in order to get our pop up higher than the current happy caps will allow.

I chose Biology next in order to take advantage of the invested beakers and we will probably want the extra food for increased population. I went ahead and set the path after that to beeline for Mass Media. We really need to get back on track if we plan to try and win this thing. There are a dozen other techs that I'm sure we would all like to have but they won't help us win. Science is now at 80% and culture at 0%. Three cities still have happiness problems but that should go away when we get a temple and market in them.

Turn 9

Turn 10

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> just played
pigswill -> UP
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill -> on deck
omurtag ->
Cosmichail ->

Got it (though its running like a tortoise on my machine).

Wow that was fast. Did you try to trade Democracy for any other techs. I think 2 or 3 only had it and might be able to get some techs for it. Going for Mass Media is obviously the intention for a diplomatic win? Do you think we can do it? We would need to be pretty friendly with at least two or three other civs. I know Julius is one and Cathy? Cyrus would be our contender. What's with that darn GW.....

I'd love to get a bunch of berserkers and have some fun with him if we were playing Ragnar.

We would need to build it for control of it so we should trade aggressively and regardless of who as long as it benefits us. I always like to have a backup plan and we might want to think about heading for space techs after mass media. I do think we are very late in the game and needing to get ahead fast.

Don't forget guys to renegotiate any trades if you see the AI has extra coin. Any extra Gold will help us right now. One other thing we could do to get caught up tech wise is "The Internet". Maybe after Mass Media beeline for fibre optics and build the Internet. Then we would get any techs that any other two civs have. I have received as many as 8-10 techs in one shot with the Internet.

Part of our problem is the capitol is very poor (compared to most) and isn't delivering much science. I still like Bombay as our capitol but it has a cost and maybe too late already as pointed out by LTB earlier in the game.

I'm seriously reckoning we're out of the race for any kind of victory.

Cyrus cancels ivory for cow+7gold. Change it to copperfor cow+7gold.
Catherine builds Kremlin.

Bombay buildsuniversity,starts on Oxford.
Zhou builds BM, starts BM.
Madras builds temple, starts BM.
I notice that Mansa has hit shows to trade; there goes Broadway.

1823. zzz

Madras builds BM, starts rifle.

1825. zzz

Bangalore builds bank, starts grenadier.
Lahore builds observatory, starts grocer.

Discover biology.
Trade biology for steel with Jules; everyone else has it already.
Think about next tech. Given that most AIs have electricity I decide to start on medicine (not an AI priority) hoping we can trade it for multiple techs. I've also given up on RocknRoll (or is it Hollywood?); if someone else is going for it we've lost it already.
Research 80%, cash20%. Can use cash for upgrades or run research 100% to pull back lost beakers.

1828. zzz

Calcutta builds observatory, starts rifle.
Madras builds rifle, starts rifle.

Checking out tech deficit and losing out on Broadway makes me seriously pessimistic about our chances in the game. I'm wiling to carry on but I don't anticipate any kind of victory.

Rock N roll/Eiffel Tower is Radio and Hollywood is Mass Media. I think LTB wanted to beeline there but I agree Medicine would be a good trading tech. You sound pessimistic Pigswill, its not over until the fat lady sings of course. The more I think about it the more we should go right for the Internet and get our techs that way.

BTW Pigswill Independence day is interesting and am following it.

Top Bottom