HN02-A The Pacifist Power of Religion

The fat lady is definitely warming up....

1838 - Mansa completes Apollo program.
1839 - Washington completes Apollo program.

Got a few things done this set.
Started the Ironworks in Madras and started the Globe in Delhi.

Oxford finished in Bombay.
Spread Buddhism to Moscow and Gordium. Have one missionary on the roman island that should be sent to the city in the far north.

Medicine came in and it was traded for Communism, Steam Power, Corporation, Military Tradition and about 400 gold. Currently researching Electricity (10 turns to go, on the Mass Media beeline).

We also will pop either a Great Prophet or a Great Merchant next turn.

The thinking behind the Ironworks was to go ahead and get it built before Mass Media is researched in hopes of having a city ready to build the UN. (If the rest have factories, we'll probably lose it anyway, but it is worth a shot).

The only faint hope at this point is to desperately try to get to the UN before Mansa or Washington can launch.

Save is attached.

Ok guys sensing a lack of interest here including myself. 3 days go by and nothing happening. Where'd ya go Omurtag?

Ok, here's the status report. The most important event was the completion of two SS Casings by MM. Apparently he's leading in the race of making "one small step for a man..." :)

A Great Merchant was born in our capital, I sent him to Russia, where he landed on my last turn. Hats offered us open borders, I initially declined, but after checking her relations with other civs, I went back and signed the treaty. Mansa Musa offered us Hit Musicals for Uranium, and I declined. 'Poor' MM doesn't have Uranium, which we have in abundance. However the deal is still hot, and we can trade it, should we decide. We finished the research of electricity on my last turn, and I chose Radio for our next tech. It's due in 13 turns.

I am sorry about the delay :blush:

Omurtag,

It's not hard to forget about this game unfortunately. It slipped my mind and left it hanging for days which I normally would never do. Especially when LTB is team leader. He was on the first SG I started.

Got it. Couple of other SGs at the moment so may not play today but will play in the next couple of days.

omurtag said:
Mansa Musa offered us Hit Musicals for Uranium, and I declined. 'Poor' MM doesn't have Uranium, which we have in abundance.

Interesting. Are there spaceship parts that he can't complete without Uranium?

Can't build the engine afaik.
May be able to trade with someone else for it though.

pigswill said:
Got it. Couple of other SGs at the moment so may not play today but will play in the next couple of days.

So did Cosmichail and I get skipped? I've been checking in every so often but haven't really been harping the usual time constraints. My apologies for not keeping the roster updated lately.

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild ->
pigswill -> UP?
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill ->
omurtag -> just played
Cosmichail ->

Apologies LuvToBuild and Cosmichael. Fortunately haven't got round to playing. So I haven't got it.

After looking thru many pages I realize that it is I that is up. DOH

This is "I got it" and play later today. Since we have Space hog we should also think about spies to slow him down. Used them in a emperor game and slow them down enough to win.

We should consider perhaps getting to fibre optics and let the Internet get all of techs for us.

Turn 1

Hatty doesn’t want ivory anymore must have discovered industrialism.

Calcutta starts a rifle.
Alexandria has accepted Buddhism.

Turn 2

We trade electricity for artillery with Cathy. (get us closer to rocketry)
Renegotiate with Hatty to trade deer for corn since we need health bad.
Renegotiate deal with GW get an extra buck.
Revolt to state property.

Great Merchant gets us 3150 gold but in hindsight we should have used him for railroad since we do have coal. I suggest we try to trade for that or start researching it next since it will give us a huge boost in production and give us machine gunners.

Try to buy tech from all civs and none will budge.

Turn 3

We are building a stupa in Zhou but do not have a state religion so that will not help with happiness. Imo we would have been better off staying Buddhist to help with happy especially for the sake of the Stupas.

Turn 4

Lbm arrives at Russia and is ready to go off.

Turn 5

Cathy wanted medicine but refused. Now we have a negative with but screw that she already is way ahead of us and wants a tech for free. Then we offer 2000, 3000 for tech and she wants to offer a world map only as well as the other civs. Like go for a walk off a short pier please that is not fair trading.

We do end up selling her ivory for 2 gold but please check and see if we can get more. Of course once she gets industrialism that will be finished too.

Turn 6

Yeka is now Buddhist too after lbm went off.

Turn 7

Zhou builds stupa and start Scotland Yard. We are going to need spies for our two rivals Washington and MM since they are building space parts.

Turn 8

Caesar cancels our deal fur for ivory and that is going to hurt.

Turn 9

Delhi finishes globe theater start hospital there for health. Goa finishes artillery and start barracks.

Turn 10

Madras unhappy start a coliseum.

Save

I think we are going to need to get to Industrialism asap to find out where the aluminum is. So far there are numerous civs in need of uranium. I am not sure if the engine needs it or not as per Pigswill. I tried to find more info on that but if that is the case MM won't be able to finish spaceship.

I understand that we are heading towards the diplomatic win but we will have to build it to control it and Cyrus would be our rival. I suspect that we won't have enough votes to even control the UN never mind get a win. If we do have Aluminum then we should try for a space race. I think Radio might not have very good trading value but maybe Cathy needs it.

This game is not lost imo. What we should have done is gone for RR right away to get the production up so we could be ready for building space parts or troops. MM would be a good target but at this point might be difficult with him having infantry now.

We would be better too if we had more than one religion to spread around our fair land for the happy/culture bonus on free religion. Otherwise with one religion we'd be better off being buddhist for the happy incentive on Stupas.

That makes LuvtoBuild up oh yea............

I'm going to have to bail on this round guys. I might get a chance to pick it up again next time around. I think there is still a shot at a diplo win myself. We're less than 15 turns from having Mass Media and Madras should be able to build it fairly quickly. Cyrus or JC would probably be our competitor but we are friendly with both so it would come down to which one the other one would vote for along with Cathy. The space race seems a bit impossible to me at this point. I can see the Internet helping but we are currently trading away our copper to Cyrus. I highly suggest we end that trade ASAP. Copper is a production boosting resource for some of the spaceship parts and for the Internet. I'm not seeing where the denial of uranium would help stop the space race. I don't see that mentioned in the Civilopedia. Using spies would help but only if we can afford to keep the sabotage going and do it without getting caught.

I suppose we could throw off the shackles of pacifism and build the Manhattan Project :satan: Maybe a few ICBMs of the nuclear variety would even things up! MUUUAAAHAHAHA!!!

Current Roster:
LuvToBuild -> skip
pigswill -> UP
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill ->
omurtag ->
Cosmichail -> just played

Got it. I'm up in another couple of games so maybe a couple of days before I play and post.

Played my turns. Will post report and save tonight.

Sorry for the slight delay. Real Life stuff.

Looking at the game I thought that if we're going for diplomacy we could do with more population, so I switched back to HR for more happy faces (some people are easily impressed by our (pacifist) military presence) and thought about building hospitals for health.

Pre-turn.
Switch from rep to HR
Change Delhi to build hospital.
Change Madras to build bank (don't need coliseum)
Cancelled copper for cow+7gpt as advised.

Jules cancels defensive pact. Still got pacts with Cyrus and Cat.
Karachi builds artillery,starts grocer.

Discover Radio, start Mass Media.
Trade with Cat: Radio for AL+Map
Trade with Hats: Radio for Railroad,Map, 50gp.
Lahore builds bank, starts eiffel tower.

Trade with Cat: Medicine for Combusion, Map, 60gp.
Mansa builds another casing.

1864 zzz

1865 zzz

Bombay builds bank, starts hospital.
Madras builds bank,starts hospital.
(Wall Street now available)
Cyrus completes Manhattan Project!!

1867 zzz

1868 zzz

Research Mass Media, start computers.
(not sure about tech path, research 0%)
(no tech trades available)
Goa builds aqueduct, starts bank.
Calcutta builds infantry, starts Hollywood.
Bangalore builds MG, starts hospital.

Delhi builds hospital,starts Wall Street.

Feel free to change any wonder builds, when I'm not sure which direction to go I usually start wonders as a stop-gap.
Madras is one turn from hospital, would then be free to build UN.

You know. I'm really surprised by this game. We really have a legitimate shot at a diplomatic victory. Cyrus, Catherine and Julius have high enough positives that they will probably vote for us. Mansa and Washington will never vote for us and Hatty probably won't. The trick is, I can't tell who our competition would be. If it is Cyrus, it will be very close. If it is Julius, we are probably in good shape. If it is Mansa, it will be close.

The main things this turn were the completion of Scotland Yard and starting the UN. It will finish in 12 turns.

We were starting to see some unhappy so I moved the culture slider up to 20% to encourage growth (we need people more than tech now). The consequence is we now have health problems everywhere the hospitals haven't completed.

We may want to consider switching back to US to rush build hospitals and aqueducts everywhere to push through a few more people.

Cyrus and Catherine now have Apollo.

Julius on Turn 6 asked us to cancel deals with Hatty. Hated to do it, but we need his votes more than hers so I agreed.

We lost out on the Eiffel Tower as well.

Save is attached.

Got it! I'll read the comments, play and post tomorrow.

I have bad, bad news: Washington built the United Nations. It's really painful to report that, because initially I was exhilarated by our chances. It happened on my 6th turn with only 5 turns left til the completion of the UN. Let's decide what we are going to do now. Save attached.

Top Bottom