HN02-A The Pacifist Power of Religion

Looking at the save we're second in population; don't know who's first. If its Cyrus we lose, if it's GW(unlikely) then we may have a chance. There's nothing we can do except wait (and possibly change civics to become more popular with out pals).

Looks like I'm up. And as far as I can recall Pigswill whoever builds it will be on the election list with the next highest pop civ. Meaning GW/Cyrus. I think we might need to go the Space victory route which we will need spies to aid and lots of moola. Will play either tonight or tomorrow am.

Had a look at the save and hit enter just to see who would be up for Election. It is Julius Caesar and GW (since he built it). That means we are out of the diplomacy race now and must pursue space victory. I take that Omurtag you weren't quite done with your turn. I will wait until you have finished to start playing.

Hey guys, dont give up! I already turned the table in worse games than that! The thing is all about Space race, see where is all the resources needed for the parts and who have it! Then prepare your troops and atk the cities around the resources haha, even raze if better :> It already turned so many games to me!
Dont give up, that is all I have to say..
When mass atking the AI I had only 1 defenser in each city or so! If a stackers with atkers wars coming to my lands, I just grouped most of the defensers in the target city and waited, it isnt hard with railroads! And my core cities kept makeing the components while ALL THE OTHERS were or in sciente or in military!
You already screwed up the variant of the game anyay, now go to all or nothing :p

Or you can use spies..But a bit expensive no?:p

Arlborn,

I agree warring is one way to slow the others down. Spies can be useful but very expensive although after loosing UN we amassed over 6000 gold. It also depends how far the AI is and could wait until the engine. I find if you get it in the beginning of building it isn't as expensive to sabotage but only takes a few turns off. Eventually you will get caught too so you will need ample spies to do so.

Another way is turning off science once fibre optics is discovered and build the Internet to get the rest of necessary techs. I think we will need to get to Space elevator first if it isn't built already, meaning we will need robotics/satellites.

We aren't finished yet but will have to use some kind of force to win.

The only small fly in the ointment is that this is the Pacifist power of religion, meaning we can only go to war in limited circumstances. Maybe the Internet and spies.

Cosmichail said:
Arlborn,

I agree warring is one way to slow the others down. Spies can be useful but very expensive although after loosing UN we amassed over 6000 gold. It also depends how far the AI is and could wait until the engine. I find if you get it in the beginning of building it isn't as expensive to sabotage but only takes a few turns off. Eventually you will get caught too so you will need ample spies to do so.

Another way is turning off science once fibre optics is discovered and build the Internet to get the rest of necessary techs. I think we will need to get to Space elevator first if it isn't built already, meaning we will need robotics/satellites.

We aren't finished yet but will have to use some kind of force to win.

Is it possible to rush with money parts of the Space Ship?(cant remember), if it is possible its a great idea! Take all techs you need and put science to 0% and use the money to rush as many as possible! Or use the money for spies and keep spies destroyig mine of resources and production of your enemies..Well its a pacific solution lol :p

Unfortunately Arlborn I have tried with US and lots of moola but alas space parts cannot be rushed since they are projects. Only space elevator can be with engineer or money. We have spies available now so will be using those against MM and pursue a space race now. We certainly need space elevator however we must be at 30 degrees latitude above/below the equator.

Now I am sure, this game is laughing at us. The elections for secretary-general were (as Cosmichail noticed) between JC and Washington. JC won, but check the votes each side had:

MM 110
Hats 74
Washington 85
Us 138
Catherine 81
JC 138
Cyrus 114

Just one small, miserly vote prevented us from taking over the UN :wallbash:

Also during my turns Washington built Hollywood and Rock n' Roll.
On the bright side we have two spies in MM's territory, (we found his ironworks town on the west coast) and we got a good deal from Catherine (Computers for Industrialism + Gold + Map)

That I didn't notice Omurtag that it was only 1 vote. It means we can still take control if we up our pop. Under those circumstances we could do a diplomatic win only if we have several civs friendly with us. Good job on the trade with Catherine we should beeline to robotics/satellites for the space elevator just in case. Thereafter fiber optics for the internet.

This is a "got it" and will play tomorrow (will since it's 1:00am later today probably afternoon/evening)

Any other players participating or is it now just Omurtag/Pigswill and myself. Just would like input from the others as I don't believe this game is lost. Where are you the ever enthusiastic FOTH?

The fat lady may be warming up, but it ain't over yet. :D

I do think that the space race is a long shot. We may have a better chance is to try to grow our pop over JCs. It looks like everyone has done a good job of working both angles.

If we do decide to go space race, then we may want to start deciding on the production powerhouses and start building workshops over the existing farms and cottages. We've actually come a long way in this game (remember, for a while we didn't even think we would be competitive).

Space elevator is definitely important, but we still need to do some infrastructure planning to up production (which will soon be more important than commerce in getting those parts out).

Turn 1

Took a look around and find that GW is willing to trade computers for plastics. We make the trade to accelerate the path to fiber optics/robotics. (start on rocketry for Apollo)

Notice that we have ivory and industrialism and appoint workers to build farms/workshop over them.

Turn 2

No one wants to trade and we are too advanced for Julius to make any trades. (he doesn’t have radio so he has a long way to go) Was hoping to trade for rocketry but no one will budge.

Mansa Musa asks for open borders and decline. Don’t want his missionaries on our land increasing his wealth. (had enough of that crap in other games – by far the most irritating civ in either vanilla or warlords)

Turn 3

Get our workers to hook up the aluminum.

We get hookwinked into free speech. (hate that UN wish I could blow it up but I am a pacifist right now and must be a good boy)

Turn 4

Decide to speed up research through increase in funding and putting numerous cities on research. After having Nikita run around looking through Mansa’s land and Cyrus’s likewise it appears that neither have aluminum. They could be trading for it though. (of course could have looked at the resources screen in one of their cities but forgot)

BTW that Nikita is one hot chick no wonder she’s such a good spy. Good ole passive aggression will have to do but goes well with Gandhi’s character.

Turn 5

Another one of those blasted votes this time Environmentalism. Decide to say yes since it will hurt the other civs financially and we need it since we have health problems even with hospitals. We are unable to build factories/coal plants because of this and need to find a solution. This civic also provides happiness from forests as well so we’ll see.

Turn 6

Ok those elephants are covered in workshops or farms now. Now they can graze in peace and no longer have to worry about poachers.
Environmentalism bill failed. DOH……

Turn 7

Only 4 turns left on Rocketry and with a little tweaking less.
Start to look around to see if AI’s we are trading with can be increased.

Renegotiate trade with JC deer from 4 gold to 14 gold.

Renegotiate trade with Cathy from 6 gold to 8 gold. (no picture). Why she still wants horses at this points escapes me.

Turn 8

We are catching up and have a chance but we need the space elevator.

Turn 9

Spy #3 lands on Mansa lands (was thinking about going to Julius but he is too far behind and more concerned about Cyrus and Mansa)

Turn 10

We discover Rocketry and start on fiber optics but this will need team discussion.

Madras starts Apollo and will finish in 23 turns. Several cities are still on research and might want to leave them until we accomplish our goal. After some consideration I decide that we need environmentalism. We revolt to it (nice being spiritual) and now will be able to build factories/coal plants. In addition the happiness from forests allows us to turn down culture 10% so we actually loose no money on the deal and gain a lot.

Only disadvantage is that some cities loose one food on the workshops/watermills but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Bombay will finish a lab soon and some cities are queued for factories. I am worried a bit about our military but with two DP’s should be alright.

Ok some further observations:

We will gain pop now and might get control of the UN. One thing though we need is a good friend in the bunch and that would be JC. We have a negative with him for signing a DP with Cyrus so I suggest we cancel that. (risky yes but we need JC to friendly to get a diplomatic win possibly) If we can will get a plus for representation too which might get us to the friendly threshold.

Also there needs to be a decision team wise regarding tech path. We have 23 turns before we can build space parts. 17 turns to research fiber optics and not sure how long it would take to build the Internet which will yield us satellites for sure but here’s the tricky part. We need the space elevator even if it means preventing the AI from getting it. That 50% bonus is a big help on those expensive parts like docking bay/stasis.

Here’s the question do we change from Fiber optics for now onto satellites and then robotics to get space elevator. Then pursue fiber optics afterwards since AI tends not to go after the Internet. What will we do team? What will we do? (PS there are no beakers in fiber optics yet)

Network files

Current Roster:

LuvToBuild -> UP -> decide which direction we go space elevator or Internet
pigswill -> on deck -> Need English gentlemen skills to get us a friendly civ if we become sec. Gen.
Krockel -> autoskip
FoolontheHill -> Just waiting for the fat lady to sing
omurtag -> just played -> made critical trade with Cathy
Cosmichail -> just played -> wants to blow up UN

Well looks like LuvtoBuild hasn't posted a got it. Haven't heard from him since Oct. 23/06??

Did you want to take it Pigswill since you are next. We have a chance still with this game anything could happen and I think we should play it out.

ok, got it. Military is not a problem;we're running HR for happy so we can't rushbuy leaving us lots of money to upgrade units.
Internet or Space Elevator comes down to research vs production, I think we're stronger on research so I'd go for space elevator but I could be wrong.
Going to be a couple of days before I play. If LTB turns up and can play earlier that's fine by me, otherwise probably Tuesday.

Tend to agree with you on going for space elevator first. I hope LTB is ok since it's not like him to not check in for so long. It'll be about 30 turns for space elevator as we need satellites/robotics. After that we can go for Fiber optics and go for the Internet. Hopefully Madras will be at the right latitude for space elevator and if we pop GE save him for that of course. Won't give it all but about 50% of it.

We are now able to build factories/coal plants since health is better now.

Played a couple of turns beyond my 10 coz I could sense victory around the corner.

Various builds and unit upgrades throughout the set; nothing major.
AIs continuing relentless space race:( .

1903 Elections for Sec Gen. Vote for us.

1904 Win (480 of 720 total); Cyrus, Cat and Jules vote for us. Washington gets everyone else's votes.

1907. Election for Victory.
1908. Lose (340 of 720, 470 required). Cyrus and Cat vote for us; Jules abstains.
1909. Give Jules Mass Media, convert back to Buddhism to cheer him up.Get +1 for tech, +4 for shared religion; others unaffected. Now +9 with Cyrus, +15 with Cat, +10 with Jules.

1911. Next vote for Victory.

Victory Screen.

Score.

How many times did I think we would lose? :blush: :blush:

A save (exactly 500kb)

Hah, and you guys thought you would lose and even half of the Roster left the game<cowar..coff coff>! I must confess, from the half to the end this game was Boring! But not because of the game, but because of the Roster. I did start to lurk this game because of the name and the theme seemed interesting. And in the begining the players were very interesting and donig creatives reports, jokes and nice discurssions, but in the end half of them fleed without a word and the others kept going only for the formality of it. This SG is a example to the others SGs to how to keep going and makeing nice reports and efforts even knowing that Probably the game is lost. What if you didnt stop to beleive in the game? Kept the nice reports and discussions? Im sure the last report of the victory wqould a Real funny and nice report spewcially coming from Pigswill that is really creative, but look his report, it was just "bored". I hope you guys learn a lesson from tihs one.

Sorry ofr the hard comment, Im just a lurker after all, but I felt I had to say it.

I agree Arlborn that's why a team should never give up until it's the end. As to reports yes they started becoming boring I agree. One should enjoy a SG and try to be creative in their reports. I think we would have won space or diplomatic as once I looked closer at the other AI's lands I realized we had a shot at either. We did catch up quite a bit through some savy tech trading and even got ahead of Julius. I personally didn't get involved in the game until I noticed they needed another player although I started the original "Power of Religion" where we had a lot of fun. Problem with peaceful games is there is a little too much hitting enter which I really find boring but there really should be another way to play this game other than warring all the time. I must admit I was starting to get into more towards the end mostly brought on by Foolonthehill's enthusiasm.
Omurtag's last turn certainly had an impact making me realize we certainly were close with the sec. gen.

I have seen numerous games die and even seen the creators disappear. The all wonder game is an example where Noxie disappeared. (that was an amazing game btw)

Good job Pigswill and not a bad score considering how late it is in the game. (even though the report is boring LOL)

Celebrate team as what appeared as hopeless thru preserverence paid off.

Arlborn you want to follow a neat game check Return of the Quantum Monkees. Rex and team are brilliant.

Top Bottom