HOF Questions & Answers

One addition is the add 'Submitting' tab that outline the Submission Requirements. Please review that before you get to far along with games. We are going to have to be more strict that we were with Civ4.
NumAutosavesKept must set by editing UserSettings.ini max number if using option in game is 999

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Code:
[AutoSave]
TurnsBetweenAutosave = 1
NumAutosavesKept = 1200
p.s
Text on victory screen button is "Wait! Just... one... more... turn..." d.s

NumAutosavesKept must set by editing UserSettings.ini max number if using option in game is 999

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Code:
[AutoSave]
TurnsBetweenAutosave = 1
NumAutosavesKept = 1200
p.s
Text on victory screen button is "Wait! Just... one... more... turn..." d.s
Noted. I will make the relevant changes.

The following has already been fixed by a prior patch:

--------
Research Agreement

Accepting a research agreement and then declaring war before the alloted turns have ended in order to get the tech early.

NOTE: New exploits will occur or be discovered over time. Use of a potential exploit should be verified the HOF Staff before use.

If you or anyone else are storing up saves to submit once we open for submission, please beaware that we are refining the rules page. One addition is the add 'Submitting' tab that outline the Submission Requirements. Please review that before you get to far along with games. We are going to have to be more strict that we were with Civ4.

I'm not storing saves yet. :)

but I'm guessing I won't be submitting any of my recorded games, since the lags are still annoying and desync the audio/video, meaning forced reload to get the video quality right.

So, we play the whole game, then grab the autosave that's closest to 1/3 and 2/3 and submit those with the initial save (the generated one, correct?) and the final save.

That about right? Oh, and I guess the autosave for the 1200 turns is meant for a marathon time victory?

The following has already been fixed by a prior patch:

--------
Research Agreement

Accepting a research agreement and then declaring war before the alloted turns have ended in order to get the tech early.

NOTE: New exploits will occur or be discovered over time. Use of a potential exploit should be verified the HOF Staff before use.
Wasn't sure so I left it there. I will remove.

I'm not storing saves yet. :)

but I'm guessing I won't be submitting any of my recorded games, since the lags are still annoying and desync the audio/video, meaning forced reload to get the video quality right.

So, we play the whole game, then grab the autosave that's closest to 1/3 and 2/3 and submit those with the initial save (the generated one, correct?) and the final save.That about right?
Correct. Didn't want to specify dates/turns since with differences caused by victory condition and such. We aren't going for mathamatical precision here. Roughly 1/3 and 2/3 of the way is good enough.

Oh, and I guess the autosave for the 1200 turns is meant for a marathon time victory?
Yup. (I live in Texas so I have to say things like 'yup' from time to time. ;))

Great work!

I know there's been a whole thread about DLC, but just to be sure, can I choose random opponents if I risk having Babylon among them ? Or do I have to change/remove the dlc folders, ... to avoid this ?

I know there's been a whole thread about DLC, but just to be sure, can I choose random opponents if I risk having Babylon among them ?
U take a risk if you use random opponents

See Rules/FAQ Settings:

Opponents:
You may select who your opponents are. The selection must not include any leader multiple times, nor can you choose an AI leader identical to the one you're playing.

Downloadable Content (DLC):
DLC Civilizations cannot but played or used as opponents unless noted here.
Allowed: Monogolia DLC

Maybe there should be a note on Rules/FAQ that the recommendation is to use advanced setup (no random leader to avoid DLC civ)

Maybe there should be a note on Rules/FAQ what the recommendation is to use advanced setup (no random leader to avoid DLC civ)
Yeah, I thought about it explaining both options but would need to document the steps required to do the folder move. I guess I should at least mention them, though.

Couple questions/clarifications:

• When "packaging up" a HOF game for submission, is there a file "naming convention" to be used?
  • I did a couple Duel maps. Once complete, I reloaded the initial save, and saved it as a different name (as oppossed to going out to the O/S and renaming the file that way). Is this okay? Or will this get registered as a "reload problem" or some such?
  • Do we zip the files up?
cheers

[*]When "packaging up" a HOF game for submission, is there a file "naming convention" to be used?

No, just submit them however you name them

[*]I did a couple Duel maps. Once complete, I reloaded the initial save, and saved it as a different name (as oppossed to going out to the O/S and renaming the file that way). Is this okay? Or will this get registered as a "reload problem" or some such?

See above. Best to just leave then named the way they are.

[*]Do we zip the files up?

Nope, submit as is.

Disallowed
Changing Civ5 in any way from what is provided by Firaxis is not allowed. This includes changing Assets (XML, Lua Scripts, etc.), Database values, Save files, in-Memory values or anything else that might alter the basic game. Everyone should be saving the same game.

Is it ok to edit CIV5GameOptions.xml?

Civ5 don't remember advanced settings, see this thread

Disallowed
Changing Civ5 in any way from what is provided by Firaxis is not allowed. This includes changing Assets (XML, Lua Scripts, etc.), Database values, Save files, in-Memory values or anything else that might alter the basic game. Everyone should be saving the same game.

Is it ok to edit CIV5GameOptions.xml?

Civ5 don't remember advanced settings, see this thread
I would say no since you can do the same thing to the using config.ini. The OP in the thread you linked showed how.

As I understand I am not allowed to sell goods to AI and break the traderoute, but I'm allowed to sell everything to AI before I attack it?

And when I sell the resource just before a barbarian or AI itself pillages my resource that is a no no?

As I understand I am not allowed to sell goods to AI and break the traderoute, but I'm allowed to sell everything to AI before I attack it?
Systematically exploiting the AI for gold is what we are banning.

Trading tech or spare resources prior to war is a gray area. It should be okay. That is assuming that you are actually going to attack them. War has real costs and consequences. Note that I said spare resources. Selling your happiness or your strategic resources that you need is crossing the line. Declaring war to break agreements with an AI that can't reach you and you never intended to attack is the same as pillaging the resource.

Bottomline, making and breaking agreements just to for the gold is banned.
And when I sell the resource just before a barbarian or AI itself pillages my resource that is a no no?
Same thing as pillaging it yourself.

After submitting a game how can I see Status (Published, waiting etc.) Tab All and recent on My Submissions is empty.

edit: I forget to say Thx for opening HOF :)
Did you see a message acknowledging your submission? I added the checkbox that you must check. Right now if you don't check it, it doesn't remember your save files. I need to tinker with it some more to put up a proper errror message and retain the files.

(We don't use javascript which would be much easier to just disable the submit button. I have to figure out the server side to do what I want.)

Top Bottom