1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Bleidraner

Bleidraner King

I figured you were using VVV to learn. I could see it in your progression on map size and the type of games. That you are choosing to play games that will improve your VVV score is absolutely fine, and what I would do if I had time. But frankly, don't put yourself down, your progress is fantastic, time to join us in the gauntlets, the learning is amazing and frankly I would also like to learn from you and style of play, so self interest speaking here.

As for VVV scores, do not even think of not playing to your absolute best! Every entry that you do that is great helps the rest of the players learn, your saves are available and you see what is possible. And if you take somebody down like me or anybody else, that only offers motivation to the rest to get better. No downside. Keep it up!

2. NiceOneEmlyn

NiceOneEmlyn Chieftain

Thanks for your kind words, you are one of the guys that I hold in high esteem. There really is such a lot that I don't know about this game, I enjoy the not knowing and experimentation that follows. I enjoy all those eureka moments when I manage to figure something out off my own back. I just found out that faster times are obtainable on large ocean maps by not playing OCC, however I don't look on my previous efforts as being a waste of time because I thoroughly enjoyed almost every minute of every game.

Good luck and good gaming.

3. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

@NiceOneEmlyn - I echo Bleidraner's sentiments (as usual [emoji2] ). I have got the utmost respect for all the Deity wins you are reeling off. The key is that it is fun. There are so many combinations of maps, civs, levels, victories, and unpredictable AI behaviors, that I too still find fresh challenges and enjoyment in every game I queue up. As a history buff, I like the gaming history aspect too. Glad you are getting into the game and hope you keep it up!

4. NiceOneEmlyn

NiceOneEmlyn Chieftain

Thanks - You guys will laugh at this one. Yesterday I attempted to play my first Culture game, I managed to complete five Policy trees and was totally baffled when I wasn't able to build the Utopia project as per Vanilla! At one time I had great writers all over my land and didn't have a clue what to do with them, I was thinking that maybe they would be worth more culture points when different Eras were reached, it seems not so. I had archaeologists all over the World but I had no idea what purpose they were serving. Anyway, this is me, and this is the way I get most pleasure from my own entertainment.

5. Thalatta

Thalatta Imperialistic

I *just* got Civ5 - my ancient era computer could barely handle Civ4, but I just recently got an upgrade.

So I checked the HoF info to see if I needed to download and mods/etc. and decided I'd submit my games.

However...being new to the game that I am, one of them I forgot to click "wait just one more turn" at the end. :( Is there any recourse for this? Or should I just be happy it was a smaller easier map, before I ramp up the difficulty?

6. Folket

Folket Deity

I think the procedure is to load your latest autosave repeat your actions as well as you can and then send a mail to explain what happened and how much you replayed when you upload.

7. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

Your game will probably be declined and you will receive an email what you have to do to get the game accepted.

8. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I did the exact same thing when they changed cultural victory. I didn't notice in the notes that it had changed, and finally got suspicious when I had 5 policy trees and nothing happened. ;-)

9. Bleidraner

Bleidraner King

You guys crack me up:) Not that Firaxis bothers with Tutorials or the like when they change stuff of course.

10. NiceOneEmlyn

NiceOneEmlyn Chieftain

Ha! Ha! I am glad to know that I am not alone in my buffoonery! In your defence though, I am sure this would have happened in the earlier days of BNW!

In response to Bleidraner, I used to enjoy the first ever editions of Civ, the game was purchased along with a huge book (almost the size of a bible), I would read and digest as much as I could before making a start. The book would be used for references time and time again. I don't think I ever purchased an expansion and I certainly never downloaded any patches, I didn't even know they existed! As for civ5 vanilla and BNW, they are miles apart.

11. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Those rulebooks and guidebooks that came with the earlier civ editions were the best, most useful rulebooks ever. Looked great and contained a wealth of info! In the current civopedia inside the game, important mechanics and gameplay facts are missing in several places... that is the one area I think they dropped the ball most on in Civ 5. I still look for info on terrain or resources or buildings sometimes in the civopedia only to rediscover the lack of info...

12. Morcar_olmig

Morcar_olmig Warlord

The problem with these books is that they will not reflect any changed made by upcoming patches (which we have quite a lot nowadays) and of course you don't want to buy a new book just too see that those things are corrected there. However there is always another way: manual correction with the pen :).

13. Bleidraner

Bleidraner King

I miss the books, but apparently nobody was reading them except me and of course they cost a lot of money to produce, plus yes they get out of date quickly. Thank God for sites like this where you can find mostly everything, the community is awesome. I wish the data was more organized though.

I think Firaxis makes a point of you discovering the game mechanics yourself, they give you very little data, just general statements in the Civilopedia, like what are the base policy costs in Marathon with 1 city. It is fun, but also frustrating as it forces you to have your own library of data, and I don't have time to do that and play the game.

I am thinking of building a huge post called "How to learn in CivFanatics" and describe my journey, it is such a joy that I would like to share it, but I think it will be useful only to myself. Plus it takes time:)

14. Folket

Folket Deity

If such a post would be useful to you, that sounds good enough reason to do it. I find in general that people appreciate random rambling with positive attitude.

15. chuckh89

chuckh89 Prince

It may take time, but I think you are definitely qualified, and it would be more useful to others then you may initially think...

It would be great if you created it, and left some places for contribution,....
    Maybe,... Zen, or Cromagnus.

They could also "Share their journey", or answer a question

Like,...
    "What advice would you give the average player to better your game, and enjoy your "Civfanatics" experience."

It would be "Really Awesome" if you had the support of the Staff, so that it would be a content header, and not get lost in the shuffle.

I would read it,..... :)

_

16. chuckh89

chuckh89 Prince

I have been trying to improve my game by reviewing past Gauntlet medalist games, and learning from their successful ventures.

Question#1 (Still Unanswered)

Is there a way to view the settings when loading games submitted to the HOF,... I know basic information is displayed when acquiring a submitted game from the HOF tables, and also in "Details" on the In Game "Menu".

What about more detailed information,...Like "5 Billion Years", or "Raging Barbarians"....How can I acquire this information?

Obviously the HOF Staff has the ability to check details that are prohibited for HOF game play, so it must be possible to attain from submitted games.

Question#2 (Answered - Thank You Mesix)

ALSO,

Is it possible to check the number of times of times a player completed "Future Tech"?,...

The top HOF "Time" games normally include completion of the entire Tech Tree, and then multiple completions of Future Tech,....BUT, how many completions of "Future Tech"....
    Where can I find this information on the "Victory Screen" of submitted games?

_

17. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

The future tech gives you 10 points each time you research it IIRC.

In this screenshot from my recent Time VC Gauntlet submission, I must have researched FT 22 times.

Spoiler :
    Obviously, population is the biggest contributor to the final score.

18. chuckh89

chuckh89 Prince

Ahhh, Yes,....That makes sense. Question #2=Answered -Thank You!

Impressive Game!! :)

-

19. Smirk

Smirk King

Quick question, that may have been in the previous 25 pages which I only want to read if necessary. ;)

Why are submissions required to have barbarians?

20. chuckh89

chuckh89 Prince

The vote was taken to "Alllow" or "Disallow" No Barbarians

Disallow 102
    Allow 43

The topic was discussed in detail, and thoughts on the subject were compiled in this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=384090

There was some pretty heated debate, but I think many people felt the interaction of Barbarians with CSs is a integral part of the game.

-