Hoping for a Mac version right out of the box!

... blah blah blah...

ITT: Someone that overpayed for a Fisher-Price computer that won't run 99% of the games out there tells us he did he because he's smart.

Listen, Mac users: When you bought it, you KNEW it wasn't going to be able to run most software. You paid EXTRA for that, remember?

If you want to play games, either dual-boot in Windows or take your toy back to the nice man who sold it to you and get a refund and use it to buy a cheaper, better, more useful machine.

And as far as viruses... Macs don't have viruses because hackers don't waste time on 8% of the market, either. Macs are NOT inherently more secure, they're just insignificant.

Listen, Mac users: When you bought it, you KNEW it wasn't going to be able to run most software.

I'm not sure you understood the point of my post or of this thread ... and I'm not sure you understand the technology involved. All Intel Macs run Windows just fine, so we have access to everything the PC crowd does, plus stuff that will never run on Windows like Scrivener. The argument that "PC software doesn't run on Macs" died with the PowerPC line. It's the reverse now.

Plus -- and this is a new development you might have missed -- more and more game developers have decided that writing stuff for OS X is not a waste of time. One reason for this is that your "8 percent" number is outdated: Depending on how you measure, it's up to roughly 11 percent and climbing fast. Blizzard and Valve want to be part of that market.

Firaxis doesn't, which is sad and confusing and shows a depressing lack of ambition. Think of it this way: When I have done my work and have time to play, it will be that much more likely that I'll jump to the Mac version of StarCraft 2 or start Steam OS X and play a round of, say, Left 4 Dead than go to the trouble of rebooting to Windows. Firaxis is missing the jump point here.

ITT: Someone that overpayed for a Fisher-Price computer that won't run 99% of the games out there tells us he did he because he's smart.

Listen, Mac users: When you bought it, you KNEW it wasn't going to be able to run most software. You paid EXTRA for that, remember?

If you want to play games, either dual-boot in Windows or take your toy back to the nice man who sold it to you and get a refund and use it to buy a cheaper, better, more useful machine.

And as far as viruses... Macs don't have viruses because hackers don't waste time on 8% of the market, either. Macs are NOT inherently more secure, they're just insignificant.

I used to be like you... until I bought a Mac. Just try it sometime. You may change your mind as I have.

I'm holding out for an Amiga version. Oh yes.

EDIT: Though seriously, in some way I suppose even I secretly feel more games for the Mac might be a cool thing. My hatred of that over-priced rich-man's Linux fashion accessory aside, it would at least be interesting to reach a point where there is seriously more than 1 type of computer out there and more than 1 that can really play proper games. It's amazing how few choices there are these days compared to the early 90s when there were so many different consoles and several kinds of computer knocking around. Amazing to think that PC gaming only really took over from the Amiga in the mid 90s.

Maybe... if the Mac becomes a gaming success... someone will buy the rights to Amiga and successfully relaunch that to take over the computer gaming market? :D

http://hothardware.com/News/Cheap-PCs-Ding-Mac-Market-Share/

Apple has 8% of the market.

Why devote significant coding time to 8% of the market? That's a foolish waste of resources. Screw the Mac and give me a better game experience. Use that system engineering time to add something cool and innovative to CivV and ensure a smooth and relatively bug-free release.

That 8% is extremely misleading. Mac is 8% of all PC's worldwide. In the US Mac is much more prevalent than overseas. Also, that 8% includes all the PC's that have been sold to fortune 500 companies that have massive amounts of computers but no commercial game will ever get loaded on to. If you look at the consumer Market in the US Macs are more like 30% and it has been steadily increasing year after year. If you look strictly at the collage age market (prime PC game purchasing market of age 20-30) the percentage is even higher. Add to it that Mac users are the more affluent market that are willing to spend money on their computers rather than a price conscious customer that only wants to spend $400 on a computer and you can see why gaming companies are starting to cater more heavily to this market. It is just good business.

I'm not sure you understood the point of my post or of this thread ... and I'm not sure you understand the technology involved. All Intel Macs run Windows just fine, so we have access to everything the PC crowd does, plus stuff that will never run on Windows like Scrivener. The argument that "PC software doesn't run on Macs" died with the PowerPC line. It's the reverse now.

I don't get it then... why do you need a port? :lol:

In some ways your both right, its a matter of preference. PC dominates the market for a reason though.

MAC's are marketed as computers for 'dummies'.

Maybe back in the 90's when they had Jeff Goldblum thats what they were trying to accomplish by offering a system that could be run right out of the box, but they hadn't really found their niche in the windows-dominated market. It wasn't until the turn of the century that Macs really emerged as a computer for artists and designers because design programs run tremendously smoother on Macs. I wouldn't call these designers "dummies", in fact most of them are very hip, intelligent, and intellectual and while this demographic isn't necessarily gamer-centric, there are a lot of people within this who like a cerebral game like Civ.

Civ 5 should be on both, but to make snide comments about what someone is using is useless. I can understand why they wouldn't even try to make a mac version since its less than 10% of the market worldwide on a game released worldwide. But I can understand the need to make a mac version to come out the same time as the PC version since macs are about 25% the US consumer market.

Comparing macs and PCs with their user base of being "smart", "hip", "drones", "dummies", is like comparing rap music to metal. Both are in the end are music, but their crowds say they are so different for so many different reasons, they don't see the big picture. Its the fact that both are out there and use can pick and choose because both are doing the same damn thing. Just trying to act like they are different.

"Can't we all just get along?"

I don't get it then... why do you need a port? :lol:

That has always been my question. ;)

a mac version would be really smart, civ has been really popular in the past and is probably becoming more popular now. look at spore, it was released for mac and windows on the same disk at the same time and it sure did pretty successfully. if firaxis wants to follow suit, they can do what maxis did for spore - make it available to either mac or pc from the same disk, dont focus on making a completely separate version for mac and pc.

on a more personal note, a mac version would be quite nice. the 2 PCs at my house are an old, clunky emachines xp and then a brand new windows 7... which my parents would never let me put as large of a game as ciV on. however, i do have a macbook of my own, so i would actually be able to play ciV. the crappy xp is so bad, cIV runs slow and has many graphical faults, all the way up to 3.19

That 8% is extremely misleading. Mac is 8% of all PC's worldwide. In the US Mac is much more prevalent than overseas. Also, that 8% includes all the PC's that have been sold to fortune 500 companies that have massive amounts of computers but no commercial game will ever get loaded on to. If you look at the consumer Market in the US Macs are more like 30% and it has been steadily increasing year after year. If you look strictly at the collage age market (prime PC game purchasing market of age 20-30) the percentage is even higher. Add to it that Mac users are the more affluent market that are willing to spend money on their computers rather than a price conscious customer that only wants to spend $400 on a computer and you can see why gaming companies are starting to cater more heavily to this market. It is just good business.

Check the graph. That's 8% in the US. No wonder you have a Mac.

*Sigh* can we please keep the fanboi wars out of these forums at least ?

The Mac is a PC with a walled garden OS, it will never dominate PC gaming as it is overly restrictive in it's configuration possibilities.
The windows based PC is prone to more "teething troubles" because

a. There is NO standard config.
b. It has a massive installed base that makes it a honeypot for botnets,trojans blah, blah, blah.

OS X is wonderful...Windows 7 is wonderful.

There we all happy ?

Edit for this :Seanirl..I still own an Amiga 500 1200 4000 and a powerpc Amiga running OS4.1 I am an Amiga diehard :LOL:

No fan boy war plz.. I'd win anyways :nuke:

err u got it backwords mate US has 8% the world has around 5%....

hate to be a know it all but.... yeah
sources:http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8
http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200902-201003-bar

Maybe back in the 90's when they had Jeff Goldblum thats what they were trying to accomplish by offering a system that could be run right out of the box, but they hadn't really found their niche in the windows-dominated market. It wasn't until the turn of the century that Macs really emerged as a computer for artists and designers because design programs run tremendously smoother on Macs. I wouldn't call these designers "dummies", in fact most of them are very hip, intelligent, and intellectual and while this demographic isn't necessarily gamer-centric, there are a lot of people within this who like a cerebral game like Civ.

lol they said "hip"

I would agree that the PC vs Mac discussion is stupid, but for a different reason than mentioned here: The, uh, game has been changed by the consoles. Neither PCs nor Macs are the primary game machines anymore.

For example, a colleague of mine mentioned the other day that he is thinking about buying either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro to replace his Sony Vario. His reasoning? He knows he is getting a PlayStation 3, so he doesn't need a second computer "that plays games". He wants a computer to work with [I told him to avoid the MacBook because that white plastic stuff is crap, get the Pro with the metal body, but that's just BTW].

Consoles are good news for Apple, because they mean one less reason to buy a PC that can only run Windows. They are terrible news for publishers whose main market is PCs, of course. One way to fight this is to switch to consoles as your target audience, like Valve did with L4D2 (oversized weapons, dumbed-down enemies, glaring flashy HUD, feet removed, etc) coming from the PC-centric L4D1. The other is to expand your "PC base" as much as possible.

[As an aside, don't try to tell me it is too hard to write a game for PC and Mac if you're releasing it for PC and console. This is double-true for any Xbox game, a console that is based on an ancient three-core PowerPC chip.]

This is what Blizzard has always done, even when it made zero sense financially. They did it for the loyalty (which in my case worked). Valve has decided that they want to keep my friend as a customer, so if he goes to a Mac, they'll go to the Mac.

To those here who say it's not worth it because of the "small" number of machines, my answer is: If you are so clever, why aren't you running one of the most successful software companies on the planet, like Blizzard or Valve? I assume the key metric here is not current percentage of the market, be it 8 or 11 percent but the growth rate that Mac sales have shown for years now. You want to grow with that market, not play catch in three or four years.

So in the end, it's Firaxis who are cutting themselves off from a growing revenue stream here with Civ V. I'm not sure this is very clever, especially because Valve seems to be doing what we all hoped they would do:

[F]rom the sounds of it, if you already bought PC versions of games on Steam, you won't have to pay again to download Mac versions of the same games. That should be a huge relief to Mac gamers who've been booting into Windows to get some gaming done.

If this is true, then starting May, I won't have to worry about "buying a PC game" or "buying a Mac" game anymore if it is from Valve. That makes their stuff that much more attractive and is a definite minus for Firaxis' "Windows only" games, including Civ V. In fact, by Fall, Civ V would be the only game I would have to reboot for, assuming StarCraft 2 ever gets published and the L4D-series does in fact come out in a Mac version.

Follow the customers, Firaxis.

The motherboard on my PC desktop died recently, so now I only have a Macbook, so I'd really love if Civ V could play on Mac from the start. I'm sure I'll end up getting a new PC desktop eventually, but it'd be great if I knew I didn't have to get one before fall when Civ is supposed to come out. Plus I think Civ would run just fine on a Mac, stupid not to take advantage of that market.

Its official: Steam is coming to the Mac, with a whole bunch of games.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/

So Firaxis, this is how you do it:

“Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step,” said Josh Weier, said Portal 2 project lead in the press release. “We’re always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. [...]”
Read the whole thing. Does that sound hard? No, it doesn't, does it. Oh, and it turned out I missed a developer. Not only Blizzard and Valve, but also Telltale games is expanding to Apple (whoever they are). Anybody spot the trend here?

As one of my favorite Civ IV friends said, all of the cool kids are doing this. Firaxis, what about you? It's not too late yet! You can still do this! Bring Civ V to OS X!

If you deal in Movies, Macs FTW,

As an owner of SNow Leopard and Windows 7 I can say that Snow Leopard is easier to use, also my MacBook took about 1 Minute to set up,

as a percentage Macs are more likely to have specs for gaming then PCs,

Is it really that hard for someone to send 20 hours making a Mac port to capture an extra 100,000 copies sold?

Civ V is already advertised on Steam and Steam support for Mac has been announced, so there might be some good momentum towards a Mac version.

Civ V is already advertised on Steam and Steam support for Mac has been announced, so there might be some good momentum towards a Mac version.

I wrote Firaxis a polite mail (via webpage) asking them pretty please to consider a Mac version. Even if it is too late for Civ V, one day there will be a Civ VI :).

From the Kotaku preview:

"No Mac version is planned for launch, but the producer noted that all Civ games have eventually come out for Apple computers."

That's a shame but not unexpected, I wonder how long Mac users will have to wait and what limitations the will version have (I'm thinking modding here).

Edit: and from Joystiq:

"We asked if it would possibly be coming to the Mac, an especially timely question given Monday's hot and steamy announcement, but a 2K representative told us, "We can't comment on that right now." Which smells a lot like, "We'd better start work on a Mac version pretty darn quick.""

Top Bottom