How about adding Italy as a playable Civilization

How about having Italy as a Civ. It may be in conflict with Rome. But an Italian Civ has been long overdue. Perhaps it would be a more modern alternative to Rome. The opera house would be a unique building. Not sure who the leader would be. But there's so much culture, tradition and great food for Italy to be ignored for so long.

I do not have anything against Italy in Civ 6. I would to see Venice and Papal State(s) in the game because of their big influence on European medieval politics, religion and culture. Also without ancient Rome I think that Civilization game has no sense and with all respect there is no any civilization that can be alternative to ancient Rome!

I would like to see a Great Power era Italy civ that would represent it from late 1800s to ww2, with cultural Unique Building and a modern Unique Unit like Bersaglieri or some sort of warship. Led by Victor Emmanuel II or Mussolini(!) who would both make sweet leaderscreens.

I would love to see Venice's return too, they were a strong power once, having colonies and battling Ottoman Empire.

Mussolini would make a great leader only if we can play him dead, hanged by his feet. He destroyed our country and the damage he did is still affecting us after 60+ years. He would be the worst leader in any game in the history of games

All right you are probably right, don't like the fascism side of it but thought that as a living cartoon character in real life he would be nice on screen too. :p

Also I once talked to a person from northern Italy who didn't like that Garibaldi united Italy as he thought the regions are too different..

No need to cover unified italy alone. Have the leader be from the Renaissance with his ability linked to great works and mercenaries (maybe a unique great person, the condottiero) and have the civ ability and unique unit reflect unified italy with some bonuses to alliying and fighting city states (perhaps called irredentismo) and bersaglieri as a unique.

Italy is long overdue. In a game about civilization, it's just unbelievable they've been choosing not to represent the culture which was the center of Western arts, music and literature for almost 5 centuries and which gave us names like Dante, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Vivaldi and Verdi.

Italy is long overdue. In a game about civilization, it's just unbelievable they've been choosing not to represent the culture which was the center of Western arts, music and literature for almost 5 centuries and which gave us names like Dante, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Vivaldi and Verdi.

Don't forget Galileo Galilei, Caruso, Luciano Pavoratti(who I vote for honorary Great Person)

Italy and Rome are fundamentally different, it's not like they were two different dynasties ruling the same area. Also: Romans ≠ Italy. Besides, the Byzantines were still calling themselves Romans and considered themselves as such when the Ottomans were besieging their city. Technically, Byzantium (Eastern Rome) and the complete Roman Empire could be considered one civilization.

Yeah I feel the same way about people thinking Aztecs = Mexico. I wouldn't mind an Italian civ. How is it any weirder than being in a game with Augustus, Theodora, Alexander, Enrico Dandolo and Suleiman?

Seeing as we had Greece under Alexander the great of Macedon representing the various Greek city states and now we will get Barbarossa (who ruled over the HRE) leading Germany I see no reason to not have italy in the game and have it cover both renaissance and risorgimento italy same way germany covers both a united and divied Germany.

Venice was a nice start, hopefully we get Italy this time around.

Birthplace of Renaissance DLC with 2-3 Italian city states would be sweet, would cost lot of resources to make though..

Venice + Florence + Genoa, along with a cool scenario.

Birthplace of Renaissance DLC with 2-3 Italian city states would be sweet, would cost lot of resources to make though..

Venice + Florence + Genoa, along with a cool scenario.

That's a DLC I would pay for. But wouldn't Venice and Genoa be very similar? I would go Venice + Florence + Sicily.

Italy is even more recent than America. They already had Rome representing the place. It's not like they would add ancient China and modern China as CIV since they're 2 different beasts.

The Roman Empire is no more. It came and went. Italy has risen from those ashes. The influence of of Italian culture, art, music, and people is as dominant as any. And that is more than evident in the United States. America itself is named after an Italian. Colombus was Italian. After all a series that produces Spanish, English, French, German, Arabic, and Chinese Civs, needs Italian to complete the language set. Rome must always be honored in the game. And even though Rome is the current capital of Italy, I'm more than sure the developers can make adjustments and have Milan, Naples, or another as capital of an Italian Civ.

Italy is even more recent than America. They already had Rome representing the place. It's not like they would add ancient China and modern China as CIV since they're 2 different beasts.

Although Mussolini would be happy to agree with you in claiming that Italy is the direct successor of the Roman empire, it is not.

Hundreds of years, cultural development and foreign invasions separate renaissance Italy from ancient Rome. Renaissance Italy while influenced by roman culture is a whole different creature altogether. It's like saying we do not need America because england is in or that there is no need for arabia or the ottomans because we got persians.

An italian civ covering the renaissance and the risorgimento would be a very welcome addition. It is long overdue.

Having Rome and Italy as mutual exclusive civs in a game is simply like having one civ with 2 leaders with individual descriptions (e.g. names, titles, ...). When supporting multiple leaders, you could have Italy with {Caesar, Garibaldi, Mussolini, Berlusconi} to choose from.

Hundreds of years, cultural development and foreign invasions separate renaissance Italy from ancient Rome. Renaissance Italy while influenced by roman culture is a whole different creature altogether. It's like saying we do not need America because england is in or that there is no need for arabia or the ottomans because we got persians.

An italian civ covering the renaissance and the risorgimento would be a very welcome addition. It is long overdue.

Exactly, if Rome doesn't exclude France or Spain (It doesn't even exclude Bizantium in civ), there's no reason for it to exclude Italy.

An Italian Civ can encompass Italian history since the renaissance, just like Germany encompasses the HRE as well as the modern era.

Besides, if you are playing Rome and encounter Italy, you can always roleplay the encounter as the Social War and make them part of the empire. ;)

Having Rome and Italy as mutual exclusive civs in a game is simply like having one civ with 2 leaders with individual descriptions (e.g. names, titles, ...). When supporting multiple leaders, you could have Italy with {Caesar, Garibaldi, Mussolini, Berlusconi} to choose from.

Ok, let's group together Arabia the ottomans and Persia too since we are mixing up civs because they covered similar areas hundreds of years apart from each other while having different cultures.

Exactly, if Rome doesn't exclude France or Spain (It doesn't even exclude Bizantium in civ), there's no reason for it to exclude Italy.

An Italian Civ can encompass Italian history since the renaissance, just like Germany encompasses the HRE as well as the modern era.

Besides, if you are playing Rome and encounter Italy, you can always roleplay the encounter as the Social War and make them part of the empire. ;)

This! It makes no sense to group Rome and renaissance/risorgimento italy together.

Top Bottom