How about adding Italy as a playable Civilization

Honestly, I would really like an italian civ. When I think of Italy, I see its cities, which are totally different different from each others due to their different histories. Which is why I would a Civ's ability about the uniqueness of each city, like : world wonder bonuses are doubled as long as they're the only world wonder of the city.

The most probable leader would Victor Emmanuel II and his beautiful moustache, and his historical agenda could hating civs that conquer other cities and love those who help civs recovering their former cities. His ability would allow every great works of music, writing, sculpture or art to produce +1 tourism.

The condottieri could be their UU, gaining gold and culture when defeating enemy units.

Finally, the capital of Italy would Rome, unless Rome is already in game, in which case it would Firenze. It could even be a steam achivement : the Roman question - "Conquer Rome as Italy".

Finally, the capital of Italy would Rome, unless Rome is already in game, in which case it would Firenze. It could even be a steam achivement : the Roman question - "Conquer Rome as Italy".

Make that the Roman question "Conquer Rome and Vatican City as Italy" ::king:

I'm so angry about the civ choice right now, I would be extremely happy to have Italy in instead of Brazil or Poland.

I'm so angry about the civ choice right now, I would be extremely happy to have Italy in instead of Brazil or Poland.

After the endless wining we got tonight I fear people will burn down firaxis if they dare add any more european civs to the game.Still I hope they do not get influenced by a noisy minority.

After the endless wining we got tonight I fear people will burn down firaxis if they dare add any more european civs to the game.Still I hope they do not get influenced by a noisy minority.

People doing tantrum because their favorite civs were not included in the base game

Calm down people, they certainly will also be added in the future

How about Mughal Empire instead of more European civs to the already Europe saturated civ roaster.

i agree with that i would love to see the mughals or even timurids added

comparing italy/rome to byzantium and ottos is a joke i hope
while rome certainly had a huge impact on history, what did italy ever do to deserve a spot among the 18civs compared to ottos or byzantium ?

adding italy you might aswell add belgium, canada, australia, aragon, hungary and so on to in my opinion and i reckon hungary and aragon both got more history to deserve a spot actually ;)

brazil and poland both deserve a spot way more then italy do
italy rich history is as city states not as nation so perhaps add more of those ;)

italy rich history is as city states not as nation so perhaps add more of those ;)

So you think Brazil and Poland deserve a spot way more than Greeece, too? :rolleyes:

i agree with that i would love to see the mughals or even timurids added

comparing italy/rome to byzantium and ottos is a joke i hope
while rome certainly had a huge impact on history, what did italy ever do to deserve a spot among the 18civs compared to ottos or byzantium ?

adding italy you might aswell add belgium, canada, australia, aragon, hungary and so on to in my opinion and i reckon hungary and aragon both got more history to deserve a spot actually ;)

No one here expected Italy to be among the initial 18 as that is extremely unlikely since there are some 12 civs that are always the same and many of them are European.

That said the way you are dismissing Italy is quite annoying, it had a major impact on European and world history, much more than Canada, Australia, Belgium, Hungary or Aragon (which by the way is being represented via Spain).

Let's see what Italy did:1) introduced modern banking to Europe and was the richest part of the continent for a long time also being a major trade center, 2) It was the centre of politics and religion for a long time being subject to several conflicts involving the major power in Europe (also defeating through coalitions stronger nations), 3) it is the home of the renaissance the revival of art and science, it created the greatest scientists and artists of the era, countless works of art, literature and architecture, 4) It was a t the forefront of the fight against Islam in the mediterranean fighting wars with the Ottomans on land and sea (google battle of Lepanto) being the main target of Ottoman raids in the Mediterranean. 5) Greatly influenced warfare in the era via the invention of new fortifications that changed siege warfare and the introduction of new training and tactics plus the whole business of employing mercenary armies.

And this is just covering the renaissance and not post Risorgimento Italy which can also boast of great intellectuals, writers and artists, an important role in shaping European politics, one of the voctors of WW1 and a member of the Axis in WW2.

But this is just a very superficial and shallow list.

Also if you bothered to read the rest of the thread you would have seen that many have argued that Italy should be in and cover both the unified and divided country just as Germany and Greece do. Having been divided politically has not stopped the devs to put in Greek city states or Germany.

Also if we were to base the civs in CIV solely on their contribution and impact on the world my might as well call it Europe simulator.

italy rich history is as city states not as nation so perhaps add more of those
That's preposterous! The Mayas were never unified, neither was Japan or Greece for most of their history. Both are still civs
Brazil and Poland's historical importance fades next to that of Italy, which is famous for it's grand culture, arts and architecture.

For all the Italian lovers who wants Italy in civilization 6: have you noticed that out of all the city states announced until now none are Italian. Is this a coincidence?

For all the Italian lovers who wants Italy in civilization 6: have you noticed that out of all the city states announced until now none are Italian. Is this a coincidence?

Yep, I noticed but there are still a few missing out of the 24 that will be in. I seriously hope they will add italy soon. The lack of Italian city states paired with the presence of a mercenary civic gives me hope.

I personally feel like the civilizations are supposed to represent modern nation-states, rather than historical dynasties. To me, Italy is the continuation of the Roman Empire, or at least, as close to a continuation as one would get.

One possible compromise, is to simply rename Roman Empire to Italy; that way, we also have a representation consistency, i.e. its profile matches the one we have with e.g. Germany, China, India etc.

I personally feel like the civilizations are supposed to represent modern nation-states, rather than historical dynasties. To me, Italy is the continuation of the Roman Empire, or at least, as close to a continuation as one would get.

One possible compromise, is to simply rename Roman Empire to Italy; that way, we also have a representation consistency, i.e. its profile matches the one we have with e.g. Germany, China, India etc.

Another way to get Italy and Rome in the same game is either to split up the common cities or simply rename the cities. This could help the dilema of having multiple or subsequent Civs that occupy virtually the same territory. When the Spaniards came to the Americas they renamed a lot of places. In California and other western states just about every city, town, county, and the states themselves are mostly Spanish or Latin named. So in the case of Italy/Rome(as well as Hittite/Byzantium/Ottoman, America/Native Tribes, or say Aztecs/Mayan/Mexico) the cities can simply have different names for each Civ.

I have been thinking about it and Italy could be modelled in the same way as (we assume) Greece is - so emphasising different capitals and different leaders - eg. Dandolo starting in Venice (with a more maritime and trading focus) and Lorenzo Medici in Flofence (with a cultural focus).

Man, I hope your devilish insinuation is correct. ;)

Given that CS need more work now compared to civ5, it would make sense to get rid of all of the Italian ones if they were even considering adding Italy down the road.

I'm seriously starting to hype up for a potential Italy DLC. I was assuming that if we were going to get Italy in CIV 6 it would be with a major expansion but now the lack of italian city states makes me hope it will come even sooner.

Well by now it's pretty much sure that there won't be any Italian CS. however as an Italian I would be outraged if it will be added Italy as an alternate leader of Rome, culturally we aren't the same anymore and the legion as a unique unit would just don't make any sense. But noticing that all the Roman spies that I saw in gameplay videos have Italian names just makes me think that's the path firaxis has chosen.

Top Bottom