How can I deal with the massive amounts of enemy units?

Perhaps, yeah. If enough users find the late-game combat to be somewhat mind-numbing, it might be worth considering a change.

Lowering supply cap probably wouldn't help much here because the AI can replenish dead units super-fast. I encountered this behavior in my latest game and it was getting so bad that I had to use the in-game editor to delete some of the AI's units.

In my opinion a more meaningful way to resolve this issue is to lower AI unit production bonuses and unit maintenance handicaps (I assume there are some of these on the harder difficulties)?

Personally I hate managing carpets of units. It's sort of why I loathe war. Makes 20 turns take two days instead of two hours. Only thing I can do is put sea level on high so that hopefully less cities = less units. 20 supply is the max I'm comfortable with. Maybe 30 towards the late game, considering ships and planes. If there was a way to set separate supplies for land/air/sea that would be better imo, but I don't think it's possible.

Personally I hate managing carpets of units. It's sort of why I loathe war. Makes 20 turns take two days instead of two hours. Only thing I can do is put sea level on high so that hopefully less cities = less units. 20 supply is the max I'm comfortable with. Maybe 30 towards the late game, considering ships and planes. If there was a way to set separate supplies for land/air/sea that would be better imo, but I don't think it's possible.
Play smaller maps. It works for me.

I could also reduce the AI's unit supply handicap bonus quite a bit.

Meaningful late-game war weariness often doesn't exist for most successful AI; if it did, the situation would be alleviated. I'd advocate that. But that aside, reducing the AI cap bonus would also help. They get a lot more ahead there on a consistent basis than they do on science or culture.

Would it possible maybe for puppet population to count less for the supply cap? Not zero, but some smaller percentage. I've been finding them almost too good since the science change, and this would be some negative at least.

This is another good idea that will slow down a runaway, but still help them overall.

If the problem is units are produced faster than they are destroyed, then it seems to me that you either

-makes units die faster
-make units cost more to produce

And I'd vote for the second option. The last game I played into the modern era my capital was just short or producing an artillery a turn (so the first took 2, but after that I could produce every turn for a long time) and my per turn gold was enough to buy another unit every turn. The only thing that kills units fast enough to actually grind that down would be nukes.

This sounds good, too. My concern would be that a steroidal AI will suffer less from the gold/hammer penalty than a human would.

This sounds good, too. My concern would be that a steroidal AI will suffer less from the gold/hammer penalty than a human would.
You quoted a really old post. I think this thread did lead to a large increase to the cost of industrial era units.

Holy necro, batman.

You quoted a really old post. I think this thread did lead to a large increase to the cost of industrial era units.

Ha ha!

I got a notification, and wondered why I hadn't read the rest of the thread before.

That said, habging on to what shred of self-respect I still have... I stand by everything I wrote!

Top Bottom