How civilizations are doing in real world now

With Spain, I've completed four out of the *big five* of Europe - Germany, France, UK, Spain and Italy.

As for Italy, I will probably go with Rome+Venice => Italy.

Spain in Civilization V

Kingdom of Spain [Reino de España] (Spain)

Capital :c5capital:
Madrid

Population :c5citizen:
46,704,314 (27th)

Land :c5moves:
505,992 km2 (52nd)

Economy

GDP :c5gold:
PPP: $1.407 trillion (14th)
Nominal: $1.352 trillion (13th)

GDP per capita
PPP: $30,557 (30th)
Nominal: $29,289 (27th)

Agriculture :c5food:
2.3% of GDP

Manufacturing :c5production:
24% of GDP

Trade :c5trade:
Exports: $291.7 billion (20th)
Imports: $323.7 billion (15th)
Balance: -$32 billion

Public debt :c5citystate:
$857 billion
63.4% of GDP

Foreign reserves
$34.4 billion

Economic aid
$4.26 billion donor (DAC member)

Military

Firepower :c5war:
Global firepower index: 1.1847 (30th)

Military expenditure :c5strength:
Nominal: $11.54 billion (19th)
0.85% of GDP​

Society

Human Development Index :c5happy:
0.885 (23rd) very high

Income Inequality :c5angry:
Gini Index: 34 medium low

Democracy Index :c5goldenage:
8.02 (25th) Full democracy

Research & Developments spending :c5science:
$17.2 billion (PPP) (14th)
1.3% of GDP (PPP)

Religion :c5faith:
Catholicism: 70.9%
No Religion: 24.6%
Other Religions: 2.4%
Not stated: 2.1%​

* % of GDP numbers may vary as each figures are from different years between 2010-2012

As an Englishman, I'm delighted to see that France qualifies as having a flawed democracy (ha). However, I'm also 1/4 Italian, so am very much dreading that stat for the Romans. Or in fact just Italian national statistics in general, ugh.

As an Englishman, I'm delighted to see that France qualifies as having a flawed democracy (ha). However, I'm also 1/4 Italian, so am very much dreading that stat for the Romans. Or in fact just Italian national statistics in general, ugh.

Don't get too cocky before you read the full report :)

Here is link: https://portoncv.gov.cv/dhub/porton.por_global.open_file?p_doc_id=1034

On page 18 it talks about how UK suffered a huge penalty on functioning of government and political participation criteria.

Anyway, as an Englishmen what do you think of my What if Scotland leaves the union figures? I would like to hear your opinion :D - England is on page 3, post #53.

P.S I will post Italy next :)

Now for Rome and Venice...

It was obvious for me to put them together into modern Italy.

So, the EU's top five largest economies are consisted of 3 republics and 2 kingdoms eh? :)

Rome & Venice in Civilization V

Italian Republic [Repubblica italiana] (Italy)

Capital :c5capital:
Rome

Population :c5citizen:
59,685,227 (23rd)

Land :c5moves:
301,338 km2 (72nd)

Economy

GDP :c5gold:
PPP: $1.834 trillion (10th)
Nominal: $2.014 trillion (9th)

GDP per capita
PPP: $30,136 (31st)
Nominal: $33,115 (25th)

Agriculture :c5food:
1.8% of GDP

Manufacturing :c5production:
24.9% of GDP

Trade :c5trade:
Exports: $478.9 billion (9th)
Imports: $453.5 billion (11th)
Balance: $25.4 billion

Public debt :c5citystate:
$2539 trillion
126.1% of GDP

Foreign reserves
$173.3 billion

Economic aid
$4.24 billion donor (DAC member)

Military

Firepower :c5war:
Global firepower index: 0.6838 (9th)

Military expenditure :c5strength:
PPP: $31 billion (12th)
Nominal: $34 billion (10th)
1.7% of GDP​

Society

Human Development Index :c5happy:
0.881 (25th) very high

Income Inequality :c5angry:
Gini Index: 31.9 medium low

Democracy Index :c5goldenage:
7.74 (32nd) Flawed democracy

Research & Developments spending :c5science:
$19 billion (PPP) (12th)
1.1% of GDP (PPP)

Religion :c5faith:
Roman Catholicism: 87.8%
No Religion: 5.8%
Islam: 1.9%
Orthodoxy: 1.6%
Other Religions: 1.5%
Protestantism: 1.4%​

* % of GDP numbers may vary as each figures are from different years between 2010-2012

As an Englishman, I'm delighted to see that France qualifies as having a flawed democracy (ha)

Seriously? I think France is more democratic than UK. See how the Scottish are treated..

Maybe the concept of "democracy" if different following the countries. I'm sure we live in a full democracy here, but some people may think the opposite because we don't carry individual weapons to defend a supposed individual liberty.

I hate how flawed some of these numbers are, and how USA-centered all definitions are. But thumbs up for all the work you invested!

I hate how flawed some of these numbers are, and how USA-centered all definitions are. But thumbs up for all the work you invested!

If you're referring to the Democracy Index, that's from work by The Economist - a British publication. The US scores among the lowest of the "full democracies", lower than the UK, which is about middling in the 'full democracies'.

Seriously? I think France is more democratic than UK. See how the Scottish are treated..

In democratic terms? They have their own assembly, free elections and representation in the UK parliament (although as individual politicians within the two major parties - Scottish parties aren't proportionately represented). It's not a measure of equal treatment in society (although no one actively mistreats the Scots in the UK, they're just neglected in terms of economic investment - and to a lesser extent than Wales or the North of England), but of the transparency and fairness of the voting process, the extent to which political parties represent the people, and public participation in the political process (the Economist piece describes in some detail the UK's failings in the latter, and none of the major Western democracies are truly multipartite systems - the French, British and American ones are all essentially two-party states, the French slightly less so than the others but still an essentially 'first-past-the-post' electoral system. Minor parties can win the first voting round, but never the second).

I don't know enough about the French situation to know why they scored slightly below the US (which surprised me as well), but for the eurozone in general the article pointed the finger at corruption within government and the resulting favouritism shown to special interests over voters.

Should I do Denmark => Denmark / Norway and Sweden => Sweden / Finland?

Or just do one nation each?

I'm not sure how Norwegians and Finnish would feel about being regarded as one of the *successor states* of Danish and Swedish civilization :D

I registered just to answer that question from a Norwegian perspective ;)

During the early Viking era Norway consisted of loosely knitted groups that at times worked together and at times clubbed each other on top of the head. From around 800 AD it was slowly collected under the seat(s) of king(s)/chieftain(s). The South-West was gathered around 880 by a chap known as Harald Fairhair and he is generally considered the first king of Norway. His lineage merged with the Swedish and Danish lineage around the start of the 1300s and is considered gone by the late 1300s.

In 1397 Norway joined the Kalmar union after having a very hard time with the Black Death thingy around 1350. The Kalmar union included Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland and southern parts of Finland. By 1450 it broke up and Denmark/Norway became a thing.

After the Napoleon wars Norway was given to Sweden in 1814 but we managed to sneakily enforce a constitution which lead to a short war with the Swedes which lead to a more loose union with Sweden. This union ended in 1905.

</history>

TL;DR: Norwegians have had a national identity since arguably the late 800s and our little 400 year marriage with Denmark is often referred to as the "400 year long night" over here. While it would be a little childish of me to be *upset* about Norway being considered a successor state of Denmark I certainly would not like it. Oh how much easier this would be for you if it was just "Vikings" like it used to be :D

As a Norwegian, what do you think about the Ski Infantry unit? :)

As a Norwegian, what do you think about the Ski Infantry unit? :)

Well, there was skier battalions in the Napoleon war and the union with Denmark was still in place so I can't really protest on that unit :)

The flavour text as I remember it is a bit off though. Training in the art of "ski combat" (whatever that is supposed to be, I get a mental picture of Chuck Norris doing roundhouse kicks with skis on his feet) is not common in the Norwegian army.

But moving OT here now, just wanted to provide my 2 cents on joining Norway/Denmark for the demographics here.

Top Bottom