How do i lower a religion on enemy cities

LordByron

Chieftain
So i want to try the religion victory, but i didn t understand how it works....

How am i supposed to reduce enemy religions in opponent cities?

Unless i am so lucky to have the promotion to clear all religion in enemy cities (that is quite unlikely to happen) or to control the city state that makes me choose promotions, is there any way to convert opponent cities?

As long as a city is still small, you can quite easily convert it with "basic" apostle or missionary charges.

When it's bigger and the adverse religion is more entrenched, you can :
- send a proselyte (clear all religion)
- have apostles win theological debates around
- send an inquisitor. that is, after you conquer the city of course :D

Afte hours of wamndering the internet i saw that the only way is the bauble tactic :| since i am unlucky to get proselytes, i ll send a huge troop of apostles.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've heard of Proselyte units, can't find anything online either. Care to elaborate? Thanks.

Ah! Thanks, was wondering where that came from, I was fairly certain there were only 3 religious units. Currently the religious gameplay doesn't have a ton of depth, I'm sure the first big expansion pack will redesign a lot of the religious victory aspects.

There is four ways to do so

Missionaries are quite cheap and if you can convert enough cities around the enemy they will eventually convert through passive religion spread.

You can just walk up with apostles and convert them, apostles are the troop designed to do just this job. There is a table in a thread called "finding my religion" that shows how many apostle charges it takes to convert it depending on the size of a city

You can defeat an enemy apostle/missionary/inquisitor near their cities which reduces their religion in the cities

You can conquer the city with military units, use a single inquisitor charge to remove the religion, use a missionary if need be to top up your religion there and then give it back

I tend to use a combination of all 4 in a game depending on circumstance at the time. I do tend to not promote my first few apostles or promote them if it's a weak promotion.... use all but one of their charges converting a city then use them for combat.
A strategy of using passive spread to your favour does work, it is important to convert non religious civs first as these do not complain about conversion and a group of their cities has a lot of passive power. Jerusalem is not to be underestimated in passive spread either, its quite strong.
Converting cities with missionaries that are not religious before the enemy makes the enemies job harder because missionaries are useless at converting a city that has a religion.

Last edited:
why? what's the advantage of not promoting them?
I am not ready for the good promotion use early either, I might give them a rubbish promo but normally I will inquisit as @Browd said and only when my apostles are in a good position will I promote them, and often that does not work out how I intended.

Isn't there also a hard cap on the number of promotions that are available?

In the recent GotM I spammed Apostles, and with Yerevan's help, I gave them Proselytiser, Debater and the other powerful promotions. But after a certain point, even though I was still Yerevan's suzerain, it only let me have Heathen Conversion :lol:

Top Bottom