How do I make this game fun?

acinod

Chieftain
So I played through the game about 3 times.

First time I tried the Slav Battlesuit rush and got a Domination victory.

Next I tried PAC and tried to do the Promised Land Victory but it got boring after I knew I was going to win.

Third time was with Polystralia on Archipelago and won with Contact Victory. This was by far the most boring mid-end game I've ever had. Actually pressed next-turn for 1 hour waiting for everything to build and complete.

Is there anyway to make this game fun? At least in Civ5 I could try all the different factions and different strategies as well as the different victory conditions. This game, apart from Domination, all feel like the same tedious victory condition.

Any fun things I could try out before I uninstall this?

Next I tried PAC and tried to do the Promised Land Victory but it got boring after I knew I was going to win.

Third time was with Polystralia on Archipelago and won with Contact Victory. This was by far the most boring mid-end game I've ever had. Actually pressed next-turn for 1 hour waiting for everything to build and complete.

Is there anyway to make this game fun? At least in Civ5 I could try all the different factions and different strategies as well as the different victory conditions. This game, apart from Domination, all feel like the same tedious victory condition.

Until they come out with 2 or 3 harder difficulty settings, or a few nerfs and more aggressive AI, the best you can do is play with both hands tied behind your back.

I've got just such a game going now and it's a blast :D
Always War(Apollo)-No Free Techs

You already blew the best way: don't look online for advice on how to play, which is the only way you'll know that Institutes give a free tech.

If your complaint is that everything feels the same, and fun is involved in trying out different strategies, let me ask a few questions:
1) Are you using trade routes?
2) Are you using anything other than Artist colonists?
3) Have you tech-stolen the entire tech web?
4) On what map types are you playing?
5) Do you enjoy sci-fi generally?

Some of those questions are in the nature of suggestions, others are meant as an impulse toward reflection. I have many times found on game forums that what people think is their definition of fun is not actually what their definition of fun is.

You already blew the best way: don't look online for advice on how to play, which is the only way you'll know that Institutes give a free tech.

If your complaint is that everything feels the same, and fun is involved in trying out different strategies, let me ask a few questions:
1) Are you using trade routes?
2) Are you using anything other than Artist colonists?
3) Have you tech-stolen the entire tech web?
4) On what map types are you playing?
5) Do you enjoy sci-fi generally?

Some of those questions are in the nature of suggestions, others are meant as an impulse toward reflection. I have many times found on game forums that what people think is their definition of fun is not actually what their definition of fun is.

1) Yea, it was quite fun when I started with pioneering and continental surveyor with Polystralia since I had 4 trade routes before all the turn 40. But it was also really annoying (as said already on the forum) when I built a lot of cities with up to 3 trade routes each.
2) Nope
3) Not really, maybe this might be something I'll try next with ARC and focus on spies all game. What victory condition could this lead to?
4) I've played all the maps except for the Equatorial, Skirmish and Taigan
5) Not particularly. I like the history feel more than sci-fi.

In the case of 5, this game may have a lower fun-factor for you in general. One of the main draws for fun they're banking on in this game is its sci-fi factor.

As for Tech Steal, since the results of stealing tech are random, you'll have to adapt your game on the fly. That can make it a more dynamic process.

I recommend playing without trade routes if you want to up the challenge. Ditto avoiding Artists as your colonists. Both of these are currently far stronger than most other things in the game, thus resulting in a feeling of ease that will rapidly lead to boredom.

If you go to the Mods section you can see how it's quite easy to change it so that:

1) Aliens start out (very) Hostile (red)
2) Aliens don't get peaceful very fast

Those two changes, plus playing on Frenzied Aliens, make for a very different early game ... trust me, the last thing you're going to be worried about is building an early colonist and then trade routes. The AI will get chewed up pretty bad, but still -- fun, for at least a few plays!

Taigan is a very painful map and try the north snow/south desert type map too, a lot of wars over resources. They cut the amount of good areas to make cities in half. The game becomes fun when you start to play aggressively and not smart. Forward expand, start wars, and see if you can come back from early DoW you are not prepared for.

I find frenzy aliens to more of a aid than a determent. I end up having less wars with frenzy aliens. I turned it off and I am getting better gameplay.

Try playing the game with a few dozen mods enabled.Espacially the ones that buffs the AI's priority on millitary units,and play standard size maps with 9-11 civs as opposed to 8.

I think you should uninstall BE. Largely because your post seems to indicate you would be happier playing Civ 5 due to its historical setting. BE (and science fiction by extension) is not for everyone, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think you would be happier to play the games that you find fun right now, consider coming back to look at BE after each new Expansion to see if the game is more fun. I will help keep the lights on if you want to come back acinod :)

U must have marathon traderoute mod=a route lasts for 250 turns, the game is unplayable without and is still painfull on massive+mara+ICS
I believe the main problem of this game is the health which allows ICS and thus wide is OP and you can play the game as civ 2 when the AI go tall like ciV. I think thats why its so easy and why traderoutes become so painful. Maybe try out a mod for health.

"Role playing" the game actually is quite fun.

For example: Go for a Domination victory with Brasilia, start with Engineers, Lifeform Sensor, Arsenal and go for a Standard or huge Terran World - of course, all your virtues will go into the Might tree until that one is completed.

At first, this might seem like purposelessly "nerfing" yourself, but you might find that it actually adds quite a bit to the game - think about it as the "true" Brasilia colony:

Why would they have artists, a laboratory, enhanced thrusters or extra energy on board ? They're landing to kick all kinds of alien butt as fast and as hard as possible and show the other colonies that they should have probably picked another planet. :goodjob:

Some of the win conditions are lacking in fun in single player right now.

Contact, Promised Land and Emancipation revolve around defending your civilization while hitting Next Turn repeatedly, but even on Apollo the AI does not properly attack you when it ought to. This is poor game design and there is no real way to speed things up for the final stage. The result is you end up feeling like what you are doing no longer matters which is very anti-climatic at the end of the game.

I recommend going for Transcendence. You can pre-build the final stage and you'll get attacked by Aliens at the end. The transcendence units are also more fun in a sci-fi setting and putting Miasma everywhere will distract you from how bad the AI is.

Some of the win conditions are lacking in fun in single player right now.

Contact, Promised Land and Emancipation revolve around defending your civilization while hitting Next Turn repeatedly, but even on Apollo the AI does not properly attack you when it ought to. This is poor game design and there is no real way to speed things up for the final stage. The result is you end up feeling like what you are doing no longer matters which is very anti-climatic at the end of the game.

I recommend going for Transcendence. You can pre-build the final stage and you'll get attacked by Aliens at the end. The transcendence units are also more fun in a sci-fi setting and putting Miasma everywhere will distract you from how bad the AI is.

The aliens do next to nothing, though, so it doesn't really add anything, especially because everything that isn't a siege worm or kraken will die in one hit anyway (your units will have plenty of upgrades at affinity level 13+).

Yeah the bigger benefit to Transcendence (by far) is being able to avoid the final stage. Hostile aliens are just a small wrinkle that add to the setting a bit.

I think it depends on what you find fun about the game. Sandboxing the game's environment and building tile improvements is pretty fun for me, so I actually like Promised Land. It gives me a reason to site city sites within my borders and develop my magrails for easy Earthling settlement. To me, that's better than hitting End Turn until the end.

1. Load up vaporizer
2. Start new game
3. Build cities and shoot stuff
4. Load up vaporizer again mid game
5. Kick ass, make pretty cities with lots of farms and stuff
6. Snack time

All I care about is if the game is fun to play. I don't care if it's unbalanced or whatever. I paid my money to have fun, not attend a chess match.

Having the mod for the 250 turn trade routes is a must. Some other mods I've been trying out are fun, but I couldn't play this game with vanilla trade routes.

The game is garbage unfortunately - I completed it once and couldn't stomach a second game. I don't think they should bother with any x-packs for this as it's borderline unplayable, I hope they just move on to Civ 6 and learn from their mistakes with BE.

1. Load up vaporizer
2. Start new game
3. Build cities and shoot stuff
4. Load up vaporizer again mid game
5. Kick ass, make pretty cities with lots of farms and stuff
6. Snack time

All I care about is if the game is fun to play. I don't care if it's unbalanced or whatever. I paid my money to have fun, not attend a chess match.

Having the mod for the 250 turn trade routes is a must. Some other mods I've been trying out are fun, but I couldn't play this game with vanilla trade routes.

Civilization is supposed to be a strategy game. This means it's supposed to be fun for those of us who play it with their brains in a functioning state. The I just want to have fun games are COD, LOL, WOW, DOTA etc.. All the other mindless drivel out there. Those who have fun by thinking have few choices and Civ is supposed to be one of them.

The gaming industry has been taken over by the appeal to the lowest common denominator, reality TV show mentality. Amuse the mindless masses and make money, screw the people who want well thought out content. We will numb them until they think this crap is entertaining as well.

Top Bottom