How do I remove religious pressure, and how do I allow religions to share beliefs?

I've tried my hand at modding, but I can't make these work. I want to be able to remove religious pressure from the game through modding, and to allow religions, upon founding, to choose any beliefs, even if they have been picked by another religion already. Is it possible? Could you help me with this, please?

Neither of these are likely to be possible w/o modding at the DLL level of the game. IE, you would have to create a new DLL (think -> executing software) for the game to run in order to apply these effects. And I'm not sure there is any way even at DLL level modding to accomplish more than one religion with the same belief.

Duplicate beliefs with the same exact effects could be added, but this has to be done to the SQL/XML database, and these extra beliefs would thus be available regardless of world-size and how many religions a particular game has within it. (ie, if you add an additional 6 versions of Holy Warriors, some stupid AI will probably pick this follower belief twice, once with BELIEF_HOLY_WARRIORS2 and when it enhances with BELIEF_HOLY_WARRIORS3).

Thanks for clarifying! I don't know how to make an existing DLL work with a mod, let alone create one from scratch. I managed to add a lot of things to the XML database of the game through basic modding, and I did try to duplicate beliefs by simply adding beliefs (in the same way some mods that add beliefs do it) with the same effects, but different tags. However, the new beliefs won't appear in-game. Nothing seemingly relevant to me shows up in the Database log. Here is the XML file of the mod, and here is the Database log. Any ideas how I can make this work?

Long ago, I tried to remove religious pressure from the game as well, through altering the XML Database, but it wasn't enough, since religious pressure from proximity and trade routes continued to happen. Any ideas where I should start learning how to make it possible? Some helpful links, perhaps? Thank you very much for helping me with this.

Attachments

• BELIEFS - Data.xml
    34.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Database.rar
    1,022 bytes · Views: 45
Code:
[134606.125] table Beliefs has no column named EnablesFaithBuying
[134606.125] In Query - insert into Beliefs('Type', 'Description', 'ShortDescription', 'Follower', 'EnablesFaithBuying') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?);
[134606.125] In XMLSerializer while updating table Beliefs from file BELIEFS - Data.xml.
Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>BELIEF_HOLY_WARRIORSA</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_BELIEF_HOLY_WARRIORSA</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_BELIEF_HOLY_WARRIORS_SHORTA</ShortDescription>
			<Follower>true</Follower>
			<EnablesFaithBuying>true</EnablesFaithBuying>
		</Row>
The columns and usages you are using are for Gods & Kings, but you appear from the Database.log file to be running BNW. You have to look in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML for the base-game files as used by BNW.

Short of creating a new DLL file to replace the existing game's DLL file I don't know that you can successfully remove religious pressure from the game. To create a customized DLL file you will be into C++ level programming, file compiling, etc. I've never attempted it myself.

@LeeS - quick question: could you add a new building of some kind and set the "ReligiousPressureModifier" to a negative value? The table definition shows it as integer, but I wasn't sure if the game would actually adjust the value in either direction. I know the Grand Temple is the only building that adjusts this value (+100) in the basic BNW game.

I also know that religion is fairly hard-coded into the game core, so modding is at one's own risk and subject to unpredictable outcomes.

Just a thought.

ReligiousPressureModifier will not error on having a negative number (in terms of database errors) but I have no idea whether it will actually be implemented. Religious pressure is "funky" to say the least. There was one wonder mod that had the ReligiousPressureModifier as part of a world wonder with a value like 50 or so but I was never convinced the game implemented this effect either.

Top Bottom