How do we improve Colopedia?

Any way to implement a text description on mouseover?
Even with the older goods etc. the symbols/icons are very hard to discern, especially on higher resolutions and smaller screens.
eg, When trying to find out what I need to change criminals into pioneers, I can't tell what I need.

Also, it would be handy to have ships categorised into 3 lists: Ocean/Deep water only, Ocean going and shallow draught, inshore only (cannot leave the map).
Apologies if the info is in there already, and I haven't found it yet! Many thanks for everything that is in there already. Fantastic pedia! :)

I like the retro feel of colopedia, but it seems like an out-of-date tool for the job now. Could a link to an external wiki page work? Seems like there a more options there to make the content work better and be easier to update?

Could a link to an external wiki page work?
As luck would have it, I recently added a feature where the mod can open an URL in the default browser so yeah the game can contain links, which will then open in the default browser.

The issue I have with a wiki rather than colopedia is that colopedia has a lot of data set automatically as in if it says 2 moves, it's 2 moves. If somebody updates it for their own personal mod to 3 moves, then colopedia will automatically update while a wiki wouldn't. If written correctly, colopedia will require no maintenance even if the gameplay changes.

Colopedia even has the ability to allow game data to affect what is displayed. For instance if you have a profession requiring 50 tools and you have a -20% tools required, colopedia will (or should at least) update to claim the profession to cost 40 tools. No wiki can do that, particularly not if it has to take combos into account, like -10% from one source and -10% from another.

I like the retro feel of colopedia, but it seems like an out-of-date tool for the job now. Could a link to an external wiki page work? Seems like there a more options there to make the content work better and be easier to update?

My honest feeling is I would really not like this. Maybe I am old fashioned, but even the idea of clicking a URL link by accident and having the browser open would annoy me.

In theory we could have both ... colopedia and an online wiki.
One easily reachable ingame and short to read, the other with discussions and more detailed tipps and tricks.

In reality it is not likely that it is ever going to happen though ... as it is effort nobody seems to be interested in.
See, reality is that we can keep up with contnuing the mod ... a bugfix here and small new feature there.

But we are not a professional gaming company that can afford to invest massive time and effort into "nice to have".
Also in reality ... sorry if I am blunt ... it is always the same people investing their spare time ... I wish it was different ... but it is not.

Once this changes and we get lots of support from community ... people being motivated to create and maintain a wiki, sure let us do it.
But as long as that effort would mean less development and progress for the actual mod, I am a bit critical about it.

Top Bottom