how do *you* use the Demographics page?

What I use it for is the top five cities.
I'm not 100% sure of this, but they are ranked by total culture. So, if you're worried about your enemy getting a single city culture victory, you can spy on the number 1 city and see if he is in striking range of 20,000.
Rarely happens, but it gives some peace of mind.

i think you're right about the top 5 being ranked by culture.

last game i played i forced the babalonians into communis thru a war they started. Prior to the war Babalon had a popultion of 16 with four wonders built. This put them in the top spot on the cityb list.

Babalon remained at the top city listed after being reduced to population 6 by the computers communism suicide strategy

Originally posted by Qitai
city size and pop is related but it is not a simple
size 1 = 10,000
size 2 = 20,000 etc knid of relation
So, two size one city is not the same as one size two city. And that is the difference I am talking about.

I thought that one citizen meant 50,000 people...

Originally posted by VKV
I don't remember being anything but last in military service (in Civ3 but also in previous civs). Has anyone see this actually working?

Read my post above yours. :p

The demographics are less useful in SP but in MP civ2 I used them extensively, and I believe most of the formulas are the same. MFG (shields produced) and GNP (cash produced, in civ2 luxuries were counted as 2 cash but I'm not sure if this is the same in civ3 or how luxury goods are handled) can both be useful to give you an idea if you are the top empire in the world. MFG is most important. Most of the others are less useful, I know what almost all of them mean but I'm too lazy to list them all here. Remember though military service is calculated using your total units and total population, the higher the ratio of units to population the higher the military service, so being no1 in that just means you have a load of small cities with plenty of units (despot pop rushed ICS empire perhaps).

Being "last" in Military service is actually a good thing. This of course means that your people have been able to focus on the things that really grow your civilization... improvements, population etc.

If you have been anle to grow your empire, conquer other civs, and defend yourself with a smaller force, this just means that it is better trained and technologically advanced.

The stat should really compare the military of each civ, and depending on the era of the units, proficiency level (veteran, elite) give a more useful quantified number.

eg: out of 100 points

Civ1: 56
Civ2 23
Civ3 13
Civ4 8

Much more useful in my opinion than "You are number 1."

Mainly just pollution to see what squares still need cleaning up. Mostly everything else I know just by gauging the other civs through diplomacy.

Producivity I believe is the total # of units & improvements being built

Military Service is a relation of how many units and citizens you have. The more citizens the lower your Military service will be.

GNP is the relative wealth of your empire

Literacy: % of cities w/ library improvment

Top Bottom